PDA

View Full Version : So, when we get email about the beta slot openings, it is first come, first served?

Vance
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Just want to make sure that I know the process. I have the .16 beta installed, I checked the box and tried to create an account, but it said the beta is still closed. I have subscribed to the thread I think I am supposed to subscribe to, so when I get the email wherein Stefan says "hey, more slots!" I hurry hurry to create an account?

Also, I read somewhere that it is .18 that is needed, not .16, but I don't see where to download .18, can someone point me to the link?

juwlz
04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes, that's right (you want the Cross Device Sync Beta thread in the Announcements section - but it may be better to subscribe to both the thread and the forum to make sure you don't miss anything).

The most recent batch was released on 6th April, and in general, we'd expect to release more places roughly once a week (unless there's a problem that needs to be sorted out before more users can be added - it's still a closed beta test because the server back end and its capacity to handle increasing numbers of users is one of the things that needs to be tested). There is no way to "queue" signups, so it's first-come-first-served as each batch is released.

The latest phone beta version is 3.1.16, and that (and many earlier versions) support Cross Device Sync, once you're signed up for it.

Julie

Vance
04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Very good, thanks. This will be very useful for me since the headphone jack on my Nexus is wearing out, so the less I use it the better. If I can switch over to my Nexus 7 when I get home and just pick up where I left off, life would be good!

juwlz
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Bear in mind that each device is in control of its own playlist (and its own feeds, update schedule, etc), so to automatically pick up where you left off on the other device, both devices need to have the same setup and the same SmartPlay list (or if you're not using SmartPlay, you need to add episodes to the playlist in the same way on both devices).

Julie

Vance
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
So, if I do a backup on one device, can I just copy the backup file to the other device and then restore it to that device (after a fresh install of the app) to make sure I have all of the feeds, rules, priorities, etc, exactly the same?

StefanK
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Yes, this is exactly what Backup and Restore was designed to do.
See "Setting a new Device" at the bottom of the Device Sync Help (http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/help/CDSHelp.htm)

Vance
04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Yes, this is exactly what Backup and Restore was designed to do.
See "Setting a new Device" at the bottom of the Device Sync Help (http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/help/CDSHelp.htm)

Awesome, that sounds very do-able.