PDA

View Full Version : Episodesync auto-downloads episodes from synced device

rambo
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Hello,

I am not sure if this is a bug or if it was intended this way.
I have 2 devices (a phone and a tablet) with episodesync setup.
My phone is configured to auto-download a few feeds, my tablet has no auto-download setup.

What I see is that, when my phone downloads a new episode, Episodesync auto-downloads it on my tablet as well.
I would personally prefer if it just shows as a streamable episode and not override the local download settings.

Please confirm if this was done intentionally or just a bug.
I hope this is modified so that auto-download works based on the local device settings, and not based on settings from synced device.

juwlz
04-11-2013, 05:41 PM
EpisodeSync SHOULD already respect each individual device's settings for the feed. One of the fundamental ideas that EpisodeSync is based on is that each device should be in control of its own destiny, and simply be aware of what has happened on other devices to be able to take that into account.

I'm not sure why it's not behaving that way in your case (in theory, the sync shouldn't even be capable of asking your tablet to download episodes - that should be entirely under the control of the feed settings and your feed update schedule). I suspect we'll need to check some of the logs to work out why it's downloading on your tablet as well as your phone.

You should be able to see what's happening in the SyncLog (Menu | More... | EpisodeSync | View SyncLog on both devices) - in this case, probably the one on the tablet may be most enlightening, but what's happening on the phone may also be relevant.

Firstly, could you double-check that the feed (any feed where episodes are getting downloaded) definitely is set to stream, not download, on the tablet.

If it is, could you try a controlled test:
Update a feed that has a new episode on the phone, and wait for the episode to download.
Give it a few minutes to sync, and then a bit longer to have time to download the episode on the tablet
Check the tablet to see whether the episode has downloaded
Assuming it hasn't downloaded yet, update the feed on the tablet and see whether that starts a download

Julie

StefanK
04-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Whether an episode is downloaded on the device is determined by the settings set for the feed on that device.

The logic as currently implemented is: if phone downloads an episode, it will notify the tablet and that episode will appear as "streamable" episode on the tablet. During next scheduled update on the tablet, BeyondPod will check if any of the episodes that were remotely added needs to be downloaded. To determine that it looks if the feed that episode belongs to (on the current device - in your case tablet) is set to download the episodes. If it is, then the remote episode will be downloaded, if the feed is set to stream or manually download the remote episode will remain stremable.

Can you check if on your tablet the "Episode Download" setting for the particular feed is either "Download Manually" or "Stream Latest Episodes". (Make sure to look at the feed settings directly as the feed may have settings that differ from the global defaults).

rambo
04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I checked the Episodesync logs. The download doesn't appear to have been initiated by that. I then checked the general logs. (sample below).
It seems to have happened during my regular feed update schedule.
I checked the feed schedule for the downloaded podcasts. They all had 'Download latest episodes' with count '0', which I think is the same as Manually download episodes.
Anyway, I now changed it to Manually download episodes and hoping that would fix this.
This started happening only after I setup Episodesync, so I thought it was linked to that.

Completed - What’s the deal with duckbill platypuses?
Url: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcasts.howstuffworks.com/hsw/podcasts/sysk/2013-04-09-sysk-platypus.mp3
Downloaded: 9202391, starting at position: 0 took: 11 sec. at 810.78 KB/Sec
Content Size: 9202391. Cache Size: Not Set
Content Date: Mon Apr 08 21:18:15 GMT+05:30 2013. Cache Date: Not Set
Feed has Image: Yes, image downloaded: Yes
Content Compression: Not Compressed

juwlz
04-12-2013, 02:41 AM
If you don't want episodes to download at all, use Stream latest or Ignore All Episodes.

Phil
06-04-2013, 06:33 AM
I had the same problem until i marked "stream latest". There was nothing marked as default!?

Edit: And I just noticed that it is not possible to stream any episide if you chose "ignore all"!