PDA

View Full Version : sync with mobile data

sdp0et
08-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I am not sure f something changed or I wasn't paying attention, but I thought that sync would use mobile data even if the update settings said not to.

Both my devices are set to update while I sleep on my home network. On the war to work, I use my phone connected to a bluetooth stereo to listen to some shows. When I get to work, my tablet connects to my work's wifi to sync what the phone did on the way. I don't want my phone connecting to wifi at work due to firewall restrictions. But lately I have noticed that my phone's sync logs states that sync failed because I am on a mobile network, which is forbidden. I am pretty sure that I had the same settings (update on wifi only) in the past, but sync worked as I just described.

Is there a separate setting to allow sync to use mobile data if updates cannot (if not, can we?)? Was this something that changed, or was I allowing mobile data for updates the whole time and not aware?

juwlz
08-05-2013, 01:43 PM
There are two settings re Mobile Data (in Feed Update Settings).

One is Use Mobile Data (to allow feed list updates)
The other is Download on WiFi only

In my case, I have Use Mobile Data allowed, and Downloading set to WiFi only, and I can see plenty of items in my Sync Log that occurred since I was last in range of any WiFi, so I'm guessing the Use Mobile Data is the setting that also governs whether or not BP will push / pull sync updates over a mobile data connection.

The big difference between them is that the first is handling small amounts of data (and don't forget that you can schedule your updates to be at a time when you're likely to be on WiFi anyway if you want to). The second is for handling large amounts of data, i.e. the media of the podcasts themselves.

BeyondPod already has so many settings that the addition of yet another has to benefit a lot of people.

Actually, it's not quite true to say there are two settings connected with data. There is a third, in the Player settings, namely Allow Streaming (which can be set to Always, on WiFi or Never).

Julie

saanarose
10-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Thank you sir awesome post..

juwlz
02-16-2015, 10:05 AM
@asalspammer Yes it is. The Download setting applied only to actual media downloads. Episode sync doesn't actually sync the media, only the metadata about it, so that uses the Mobile Data setting.

Julie