PDA

View Full Version : how to use it

nagant
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM
How do you use it with chromecast? Unless I'm blind I don't see the cast button. Thanks

neverfeedazombie
12-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm in the same boat... I can only guess that they pulled the trigger on the PR machine before releasing the new version of the app...

neverfeedazombie
12-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Press release this morning advises that Beyondpod now has Chromecast support. I installed the app, no support. Joined beta channel and updated... Still no support. Sideloaded the beta apk... What gives? Is the cast button just hiding from me somewhere?

StefanK
12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Chromecast support is rolling out as we speak. In order for it to work, you have to use to the latest BeyondPod version from the Play Store (3.2.55 phone or 3.20.55 tablet) and for your Chromecast device to refresh its list of "newly available" applications.

Google has started updating the Chromecast devices earlier this morning, but your device may have not yet updated (you can try to force update by power cycling the Chromecast device).

Stefan

tim
12-10-2013, 01:00 PM
threads merged

yfan
12-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Can this cast directly from a device. I mean, if I have downloaded a podcast episode on my phone, and the episode is no longer available on the server but is on my device, can I still play it through Chromecast?

neverfeedazombie
12-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Perfect! Rebooting the Chromecast made it work... You should note that somewhere in the "What's new" section until that step is unnecessary... I was pretty bummed when it didn't work at first.

StefanK
12-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately not at this time. The way the Chromecast device currently works, the episode needs to be on a (public) web server, so that the Chromecast device can get to it.

There are rumors that in the next (...future) versions of the Chromecast it will be possible to "push" local media from the device to Chromecast.

Stefan

StefanK
12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
neverfeedazombie ,

Thanks for the feedback. Generally devices should self-update frequently (seems like they check about every 15 minutes or so), ...but you never know.

In the mean time I updated the "What is New (http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/help/WhatIsNew.htm)" page on our web site (Play store allows only 500 symbols for that section).

Stefan

bobert13581
12-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I still cant see a cast button. I'm running the latest chromecast firmware 14651 and beyondpod 3.2.55. I'm trying feeds that are internet streaming. I'm excited as about casting I've registered on this forum just so I can get it working.

bobert13581
12-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I still cant see a cast button. I'm running the latest chromecast firmware 14651 and beyondpod 3.2.55. I'm trying feeds that are internet streaming. I'm excited as about casting I've registered on this forum just so I can get it working.

reboot of the phone got the cast button to show.

juwlz
12-12-2013, 06:57 AM
@bobert13581: Can you cast from any other app? (e.g. YouTube, Play Music, Play Movies, etc.)

BeyondPod should show the cast button as long as you have BeyondPod 3.2/20.55 or later, and the current ChromeCast firmware AND both devices are connected to the same WiFi network.

It doesn't (AFAIK) check whether an episode is available to stream until it actually tries to play it, so it shouldn't make any difference what you're trying to cast at the point where you are simply connecting BP to your ChromeCast device. So, as for most Casting apps, the steps are:

1. Tap ChromeCast button to connect to chosen ChromeCast device
2. Instruct the app to play something

If you can play from other apps OK, and are still unable to connect from BP, have you tried a good old-fashioned reboot of both devices?

Julie

bobert13581
12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
@bobert13581: Can you cast from any other app? (e.g. YouTube, Play Music, Play Movies, etc.)

BeyondPod should show the cast button as long as you have BeyondPod 3.2/20.55 or later, and the current ChromeCast firmware AND both devices are connected to the same WiFi network.

It doesn't (AFAIK) check whether an episode is available to stream until it actually tries to play it, so it shouldn't make any difference what you're trying to cast at the point where you are simply connecting BP to your ChromeCast device. So, as for most Casting apps, the steps are:

1. Tap ChromeCast button to connect to chosen ChromeCast device
2. Instruct the app to play something

If you can play from other apps OK, and are still unable to connect from BP, have you tried a good old-fashioned reboot of both devices?

Julie

thanks Julie, it was the reboot of the phone that finally got me working

DaWeav
12-14-2013, 10:22 AM
BeyondPod should show the cast button as long as you have BeyondPod 3.2/20.55 or later, and the current ChromeCast firmware AND both devices are connected to the same WiFi network

Julie

May I add that the BP's ChromeCast support also works (although a bit hacky obviously) with CheapCast! I'm shooting from my Nexus 7 to Samsung S3, and from my Samsung 8.9 to either my Nexus or to the S3. Pretty cool since the S3 doesn't have BP installed. Well, I guess it's time to find an actual ChromeCast under my tree now that apps I use support it, like BP!

cwchase
12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Mine was working on the day of the announcement, but it no longer I have reset the chromecast to see if it would do anything and I re downloaded the app but nothing works has the option.

juwlz
12-16-2013, 07:56 AM
May I add that the BP's ChromeCast support also works (although a bit hacky obviously) with CheapCast! I'm shooting from my Nexus 7 to Samsung S3, and from my Samsung 8.9 to either my Nexus or to the S3. Pretty cool since the S3 doesn't have BP installed. Well, I guess it's time to find an actual ChromeCast under my tree now that apps I use support it, like BP!Good point. I've been using it with Cheapcast on a TV stick for a while now ... although the TV stick is nothing to write home about and is definitely the weak link!

juwlz
12-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Mine was working on the day of the announcement, but it no longer I have reset the chromecast to see if it would do anything and I re downloaded the app but nothing works has the option.Do you have the paid version? If not, did you have a trial version that has expired since then? Chromecast support is a paid feature.

For it to work, you need

The paid (or trial) version of BeyondPod
BeyondPod version 3.2.55 (phones) or 3.20.55 (tablets) or later
ChromeCast powered on (!)
The device running BeyondPod to be on the same WiFi Network as your ChromeCast (the ChromeCast display will tell you which network it's on)

Julie

cwchase
12-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Do you have the paid version? If not, did you have a trial version that has expired since then? Chromecast support is a paid feature.

For it to work, you need

The paid (or trial) version of BeyondPod
BeyondPod version 3.2.55 (phones) or 3.20.55 (tablets) or later
ChromeCast powered on (!)
The device running BeyondPod to be on the same WiFi Network as your ChromeCast (the ChromeCast display will tell you which network it's on)

Julie

I had the paid version, and everything was in proper order, it just stopped working for some reason. However, now it has gone back to working for some reason. I didn't do anything that I can think of to affect it.

juwlz
12-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Maybe you inadvertantly had WiFi switched off on the phone? Who knows?

CaptnAwesome
01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
hello, i am having a problem using my paid full version of beyondpod on my Galaxy S3 with my chromecast, they are both up to date and restarted, when i hit the cast button on the phone, the beyondbod logo does show up on the tv casted saying ready to play, yet all the audio comes out the phone still. can you please help me?

juwlz
01-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm not necessarily going to be much help here, other than to say that my S3 (until it died a horrible death, recently :( ) worked fine with my ChromeCasts, despite me being in the UK.

Are you playing video or audio podcasts, and does the TV picture change from the coffee cup to the video (or the artwork for the feed) when you start playing? i.e. is it just sound that's not being routed to your TV, or is the phone acting as though the ChromeCast never got connected at all?

Try disconnecting from ChromeCast (using the Blue "Cast" icon) and reconnecting again straight away. I have seen the ChromeCast get itself into a state where it looks ready to play, but doesn't actually listen to what it's being asked to play. Unfortunately, it doesn't return any error code to the calling app, so BP can't tell that it didn't work. Almost always this is a "first time" failure, which starts working the second time you try it.

Julie

Ron
03-10-2014, 05:32 PM
I do not see a cast button either on my Kindle fire, i have one on my android phone but it does not work either. i bought unlock key on my fire but it does not :(:(work on my phone. i i try to cast phone it tells me it is still locked. i should not have to buy another unlock key for my phone.
Help

Ron
03-10-2014, 05:35 PM
chronecast works with other apps. i want to use to replay sermons from our church, to relisten and to study.

juwlz
03-11-2014, 03:56 AM
Ron, you can use the same unlock code on your phone by installing it from the Amazon store.

toledoan
03-30-2014, 12:19 PM
can my paid unlock key i got in the play store for my moto x also work for my kindle fire hd tablet

juwlz
03-30-2014, 01:08 PM
No, because Amazon don't use the Google Play Store. However, you can use the Amazon Store on a Google device, so if you email support at beyondpod.mobi with your details, you can get a refund on the Play Store version of the licence, and buy a Kindle licence instead.