PDA

View Full Version : Playback error

blindguy
06-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I have been continually getting "Playback Error" on my S4. It may have started after the upgrade to 4.4.2

Any ideas?

blindguy
06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
oh and every other chromecast app i use is working.

StefanK
06-06-2014, 08:14 AM
The way Chromecast works is that it streams directly from the publisher. Even if your episode is downloaded locally, when playing it on the Chromecat device, the Chromecast dongle still streams it directly from the publisher.
Playback error you see is sent from the Chroimecast device when it can't get the content it needs - either the content is no longer available, or it is in a format/encoding the CC device can't handle or it is not provided fast enough for playback.

I have seen it from time to time with publishers that throttle their content (limit the download speed) to keep the bandwidth usage low. In comparison to large media providers like Netflix, Youtube, many podcasts are hosted on small servers that have trouble providing content for reliable streaming.

Stefan

blindguy
06-06-2014, 11:54 AM
The way Chromecast works is that it streams directly from the publisher. Even if your episode is downloaded locally, when playing it on the Chromecat device, the Chromecast dongle still streams it directly from the publisher.
Playback error you see is sent from the Chroimecast device when it can't get the content it needs - either the content is no longer available, or it is in a format/encoding the CC device can't handle or it is not provided fast enough for playback.

I have seen it from time to time with publishers that throttle their content (limit the download speed) to keep the bandwidth usage low. In comparison to large media providers like Netflix, Youtube, many podcasts are hosted on small servers that have trouble providing content for reliable streaming.

Stefan

I forgot about that. I think you are right, at least this time the podcast I was listening to takes down episodes after a week and I was playing an old one.