PDA

View Full Version : Audio playback stops abruptly just before end of podcast (4.1.22)

grelbar
01-11-2015, 04:30 PM
I've been noticing an issue where playback of an audio podcast stops some seconds (can't give you an exact amount) before the actual end. Not sure if it's something settings related or an actual bug.

Running:
BeyondPod Beta 4.1.22
HTC One M7 Google Play Edition
Android 5.0.1
Not rooted

I will happily provide more details if any of this is relevant.

Dennis Rockwell
01-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Does this happen with all of your feeds, or just some?

If it helps, this almost always happens to me with the NPR hourly news. I haven't investigated, because what's lost is always an ad, so I'm good with that. It doesn't happen to any other feeds.

grelbar
01-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Off the top of my head, I would say it has happened on more than one podcast. But since I am not sure, I will try to replicate the issue again and see where it pops up.

aod48
01-14-2015, 09:57 PM
This is happening to me too, on every podcast. This has actually been happening for the past several betas (back to about when 4.0 came out)

johnsobi
01-14-2015, 11:07 PM
When this occurs again can you send in an Android Log file through BeyondPod (http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-log)?

Also do you have playback speed adjustment enabled and could you provide an example feed this happens on?

Thanks
Bill

aod48
01-15-2015, 12:49 AM
Just sent and Android log file. I've tried this both with and without playback speed adjustment turned on (though when on, it's always at x1) and it still happens. The amount of the podcast that gets skips is also pretty inconsistent. Sometimes it's around 3 seconds, sometimes less than 1 second (on the same episode of the same podcast; I kept replaying the ends of some of them to check).

One feed that this happens on for me is "Hello Internet", which is particularly annoying because they like to end the podcast with a sharp cut rather than an outro. But this happens for every single one of my feeds (various NPR, the Firewall & Iceberg podcast, the Nerdist podcast, etc.).

t.animal
02-05-2015, 01:16 PM
I noticed something that might be related. On any podcast sometimes even right in the middle the player skips to the next entry in the playlist and the old item is marked as read. I'm not talking seconds here but sometimes up to an hour. This usually happens only once per podcast, but is not limited to one or some but happens on each. This is very annoying as you have to skip back to the other podcast and search where you've been before. I think it got worse with the lollypop but has been a problem for several BP beta versions now.
I'm using a non-rooted nexus4 with lollypop 5.0.1

grelbar
04-01-2015, 02:23 AM
I can confirm that this still happens as of the current beta version 4.1.31, and it happens on multiple podcasts so it's not an issue with a specific podcast. I just sent an Android Logfile referencing this issue.

Examples of a podcast where this has happened: Podnutz Daily, Linux Action Show and many others. Feeds for those are: http://feeds.feedburner.com/podnutzdaily and http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheLiunuxActionShow

Using HTC One M7 GPE, Android 5.0.1

juwlz
04-01-2015, 08:22 AM
On any podcast sometimes even right in the middle the player skips to the next entry in the playlist and the old item is marked as read. I'm not talking seconds here but sometimes up to an hour. This usually happens only once per podcast
The root cause of that can sometimes be that the episode hasn't fully downloaded, so BP plays the portion that HAS downloaded, and then moves on to the next item in your playlist. You should now see a symbol in your playlist / player to show that an episode hasn't fully downloaded, if that is the case.

Julie

t.animal
04-01-2015, 08:47 AM
The root cause of that can sometimes be that the episode hasn't fully downloaded, so BP plays the portion that HAS downloaded, and then moves on to the next item in your playlist. You should now see a symbol in your playlist / player to show that an episode hasn't fully downloaded, if that is the case.
This is a nice feature, alright, but it can't tackle the issue. I've probably not made this clear enough, but I can go back to the aborted podcast, search for where it stopped and continue playing even without wireless lan. I.e. it can't be a download issue.
However I've not experienced this in the last two or so weeks and it was worst during a time when other weird stuff happened to my phone (e.g. random reboots) that could be explained by memory issues and the kernel killing random processes. So if your player runs in its own thread, it might have been killed to free memory. I suspect some meanwhile patched system app had a memory leak or something like that.
So maybe it's over now? *Crossing fingers*

mikewatrous
06-04-2017, 09:47 PM
I have the exact same issue with my podcasts - it stops at the end of the podcast instead of going to the next on the list.
This never did it on my Samsung S3 and S7.
It does it on the two LG K7's phones I am using but not on the Samsung S7.
The three phones use EpisodeSync so they have the same podcasts on each but only the LG's have this problem.
Another time it stops abruptly in the middle of a podcast is when the EpisodeSync takes place between the phones. It then goes back 3 to 4 minutes.
So... I now have it sync less often so I just struggle with the end of the episodes instead in the middle so much...
I know it is on the LG's but still trying to pin point why.....

Another issue related to this is that EpisodeSync does not transfer the info to the other phones since the episodes stop abruptly instead of ending normally.
So, I have to delete them manually from the other phones...

mikewatrous
06-08-2017, 09:14 AM
I believe my problem is solved.
I'm in the habit of not only backing out of a program on my phones but to also "close" all apps by pressing the necessary buttons - like on the LG K7 by pressing the square icon on the lower right of the screen and selecting "Close All" then all of the running apps are taken out of working memory. This closes BeyondPod but keeps it playing in the background.
After trying all the settings possible on the phone and on BeyondPod, I decided to not close the BeyondPod app entirely and left it running in the foreground.
As long as the app is not closed, I can minimize it or lock the screen and it all has been working flawlessly.
It worked perfectly with no errors all day yesterday and so far today and I don't expect any more issues like this with it.
It seems that the Samsung S7 (as well as the S3) treats the "closed" apps differently than the LG K7.