PDA

View Full Version : Player comes up too late, audio stutters

t.animal
02-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Ahoi!

I have several issues with the Beta I'd like to report:
1) The player comes up too late when starting a podcast. Say I'm in the standard view, click on an audio podcast to start it and scroll up to mark another podcast as read. Right in the middle of doing this the player will show up. Either it should come up *immediately* after I've clicked the podcast or not at all. Starting the audio and after a delay of up to a second bringing up the player feels quite strange imo. I think the gap has become longer but I'm not sure.

2) When I'm on the edge of a wireless network the audio starts stuttering. This is not much of a deal as i normally move out of that zone quickly but I think it would be really annoying if I lived or worked on the edge of a wireless network. Also I believe that the error I've reported here (http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showthread.php?3071-Audio-playback-stops-abruptly-just-before-end-of-podcast-(4-1-22)&p=12660&viewfull=1#post12660) seems to manifest more often on the edge of a wireless network, but I'm not certain of that.

I'm using Android 5.0.1 on a non-rooted nexus4 and BP 4.1.24, but both issues have existed since some versions now.

t.animal
04-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Regarding issue 1): This has become worse: If I start an episode, then scroll around while the player window comes up, sometimes it "freezes" midway and I can't swipe it away but instead have to click the little triangle symbol at the top. I made a screenshot of this some time ago to show what I mean: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qMQOdQTixC4/VRvqhj4DRbI/AAAAAAAAB_A/YKO7e3tbR78/w509-h848-no/Screenshot_2015-02-27-12-23-43.png

juwlz
04-01-2015, 09:57 AM
2) When I'm on the edge of a wireless network the audio starts stuttering. This is not much of a deal as i normally move out of that zone quickly but I think it would be really annoying if I lived or worked on the edge of a wireless network.
BeyondPod doesn't have its own player, but simply requests your device's built-in player to play any episodes. It is that player which is in charge of all buffering (I'm assuming you're streaming, but this is true whether you're streaming or playing downloaded content), so I'm afraid you would need to address this particular issue to Google.

Julie

t.animal
04-01-2015, 10:14 AM
BeyondPod doesn't have its own player, but simply requests your device's built-in player to play any episodes. It is that player which is in charge of all buffering (I'm assuming you're streaming, but this is true whether you're streaming or playing downloaded content), so I'm afraid you would need to address this particular issue to Google.

Thanks for your reply! No, I'm not streaming, this happens on downloaded episodes, if I were streaming I'd not written this, because I had assumed that it's a buffering issue. If I had to guess I would say it's that the system is too occupied opening and closing wireless connections and bounces between connected and disconnected or something. But seeing that this is a beta version I still thought I'd report it, just in case.

Dennis Rockwell
04-01-2015, 10:43 AM
A few devices ago, I had an underpowered tablet, and it would stutter whenever it encountered an open WiFi signal and attempted to connect to it. Walking home from dropping my son off at school was unpleasant enough that I started turning off WiFi for that trip.

juwlz
04-01-2015, 11:46 AM
1) The player comes up too late when starting a podcast. Say I'm in the standard view, click on an audio podcast to start it and scroll up to mark another podcast as read. Right in the middle of doing this the player will show up. Either it should come up *immediately* after I've clicked the podcast or not at all. Starting the audio and after a delay of up to a second bringing up the player feels quite strange imo. I think the gap has become longer but I'm not sure.
There is a known bug where occasionally when the player slides up automatically it will stop mid-way, and does not slide all the way up. This is more prominent on slower devices. Apparently, we've have been chasing this for a while now, but because it happens only rarely, it is difficult to track down what's causing it.

2) When I'm on the edge of a wireless network the audio starts stuttering. This is not much of a deal as i normally move out of that zone quickly but I think it would be really annoying if I lived or worked on the edge of a wireless network. Also I believe that the error I've reported here (http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showthread.php?3071-Audio-playback-stops-abruptly-just-before-end-of-podcast-(4-1-22)&p=12660&viewfull=1#post12660) seems to manifest more often on the edge of a wireless network, but I'm not certain of that.
As Dennis suggests, it seems likely that the device processor gets busy managing wireless connections and doesn't have sufficient power to do audio playback (especially if playback speed is enabled - even if you're playing at x1 speed).

Julie