PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Feed Issues (BP 4.1.32)

JNavas
04-04-2015, 11:25 AM
I have three (3) Virtual Feeds, with sync of audio files from PC through Microsoft OneDrive.
After a sync I noticed that new episodes had meaningless (01) Titles. (see screenshot below)
Discovered that my audio software hadn't set ID3 tags the way BP wants. No problem,
I thought, just change the tags, sync the files, and all will be well.

Unfortunately, not so. After sync the display in BP was the same, apparently the result of
caching. No problem, I thought, just clear the caches.

Unfortunately, not so. BP was still displaying the wrong information. [sigh] No problem,
I thought, just refresh the Virtual Feeds.

Unfortunately, not so. BP was still displaying the wrong information. [SIGH] No problem,
I thought, delete the Virtual Feeds and then recreate them.

Unfortunately, not so. When deleting the Virtual Feeds, BP deleted the .feedimage files
(but not the episodes themselves). WTF?! Fortunately, I was able to recover the
.feedimage files from OneDrive, and finally get BP back to normal.

So please:

Do not delete the .feedimage file when deleting a Virtual Feed.
Replace stale information when refreshing a Virtual Feed.
Provide a way to clear Virtual Feed cache.
Better document what ID3 tags are used by BP.

Thank you.

StefanK
04-06-2015, 09:50 AM
John,

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, good catch - BeyondPod is indeed deleting the .feedimage of the virtual feed and it should NOT do that. I will fix it in the next build. Thanks for letting me know.

As far as ID3 tags, BeyondPod uses the standard "Title", "Duration" and "MimeType".

Refreshing of virtual feed (open the feed then pull-to-refresh to update it) is the intended way to sync the virtual folder and will add/remove any new/deleted files (Feed cache does not play any role in this process - it is used only for RSS feeds). I think there is an optimization that assumes that files whose file names were not changed don't need to be re-imported. If I remember it was added to speed up the import if the virtual folder has many files and sub folders. I will take a look.

Stefan

JNavas
04-06-2015, 10:34 AM
John,
Thank you for the feedback.
[1] Yes, good catch - BeyondPod is indeed deleting the .feedimage of the virtual feed and it should NOT do that. I will fix it in the next build. Thanks for letting me know.
[2] As far as ID3 tags, BeyondPod uses the standard "Title", "Duration" and "MimeType".
[3] Refreshing of virtual feed (open the feed then pull-to-refresh to update it) is the intended way to sync the virtual folder and will add/remove any new/deleted files (Feed cache does not play any role in this process - it is used only for RSS feeds). I think there is an optimization that assumes that files whose file names were not changed don't need to be re-imported. If I remember it was added to speed up the import if the virtual folder has many files and sub folders. I will take a look.
Stefan
1. Great, thanks.

2. Yes, but ID3 tag version also seems to be a factor. What I think happens is that my audio software sets my desired title in ID3v1 Title tag; "01" had been set in ID3v2 Title tag by the recording software; and BP picked up the ID3v2 Title tag instead of the ID3v1 Title tag. I was fooled because Windows displays the ID3v1 Title tag.

Update: This does appear to be the case. When I strip out ID3v2 tags, BP displays my ID3v1 Title tag. Please document the behavior.

3. Thank you. A possible way to retain the optimization is to check both name and date. In my case the name is the same but the date is changed.