PDA

View Full Version : Play resumes to wrong place after bluetooth call

MrCarney
08-13-2015, 10:37 PM
I currently listen to BeyondPod via my in-car bluetooth connection. When I get in my car it starts playing just fine. If I make or receive a phone call over my in-car bluetooth, it pauses BeyondPod while I'm on the phone. When it resumes the podcast, it starts playing from the same spot it started from when I entered the car, not from when the call came in.

juwlz
08-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Unless you've got a large number set in Player Settings | Replay on Resume, it should pick up (approximately) where it left off.

Exceptions to this can be if you're streaming from a site that doesn't behave correctly when asked to start playback at a specific offset into the podcast.

Could you provide some additional information to help resolve this:

When you get the issue, are you streaming these podcasts, or playing downloaded ones?
What device are you using?
What version of BeyondPod are you running?
What version of Android is your device running?
Does it happen for every feed? If not, what are the feed URLs for the affected feeds?

Thanks
Julie

MrCarney
08-24-2015, 10:08 PM
When you get the issue, are you streaming these podcasts, or playing downloaded ones?

I only play downloaded podcasts.

I have a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition

v4.1.48

Does it happen for every feed? If not, what are the feed URLs for the affected feeds?

It seems to happen with any feed.

My "Replay on Resume" setting is set to 5 seconds.

The odd thing here is that it seems to vary based on the amount of time I am on the phone call. I tested this out using a couple of different calls. The first was very short (< 1 minute) and it seemed to resume by backing up 5 or so seconds. The next was a longer call (> 10 minutes) and it seemed to go back almost a whole minute when it resumed.

juwlz
08-26-2015, 08:41 AM
The only thing I can think of is that your device is somewhat short of RAM for the number of processes that are running. For short calls, BeyondPod remains in memory, so can easily resume where it should.

The longer the call, the higher the chance that Android will boot it out of memory to make room for something else when it's not the current active process (which is isn't when it's paused, and the phone call is the active process). If this is the case, BP won't get a chance to save the current playback position. BP saves the playback position periodically (but not frequently), so it will resume at the last remembered position.

To confirm this (or determine what IS happening, if it's something different), could you please do some more tests (obviously while you're not driving), and when you can reproduce the problem, immediately capture an Android Log and send it to support (http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-loghttp://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-log), quoting a link to this thread (or at least your forum name, and the title of the forum thread and that you've reported it here).

Thanks
Julie

Digitoxin
01-12-2016, 08:50 PM
I have the exact same problem. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6 running Lollipop.

Digitoxin
01-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Beyondpod should automatically save position any time a podcast is paused.

The only thing I can think of is that your device is somewhat short of RAM for the number of processes that are running. For short calls, BeyondPod remains in memory, so can easily resume where it should.

The longer the call, the higher the chance that Android will boot it out of memory to make room for something else when it's not the current active process (which is isn't when it's paused, and the phone call is the active process). If this is the case, BP won't get a chance to save the current playback position. BP saves the playback position periodically (but not frequently), so it will resume at the last remembered position.

To confirm this (or determine what IS happening, if it's something different), could you please do some more tests (obviously while you're not driving), and when you can reproduce the problem, immediately capture an Android Log and send it to support (http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-loghttp://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-log), quoting a link to this thread (or at least your forum name, and the title of the forum thread and that you've reported it here).

Thanks
Julie

juwlz
01-13-2016, 06:27 AM
Beyondpod should automatically save position any time a podcast is paused.It does if it gets paused gracefully, but if Android kicks any app out of memory, the app doesn't get a grace period to do ANYTHING.

Julie

colin_young
05-16-2016, 11:33 AM
When BP pauses in response to e.g. an incoming phone call, does it get a chance to update its record of the current position? At least in theory? It seems to me that whenever BP pauses, for any reason, it should update its record of the playback position, or at least give users a setting to allow that. For those of use who frequently have BP get kicked out of memory, this would be a nice addition.

Colin

juwlz
05-17-2016, 08:55 AM
See my reply immediately above your post. If your device is memory starved, it may not get time to do ANYTHING before Android kicks it out of memory. Android doesn't allow any "tidying up" grace period when it boots something out, so any app essentially gets aborted before it can take any action at all. There is absolutely nothing that any app can do about that.

Of course, if BP gets a graceful notification of an incoming call (or other interrupting notification) AND HAS ENOUGH MEMORY TO CONTINUE RUNNING at the same time as whatever caused the interrupt, it always does save the current position.

NB: There is a setting for whether or not you want BP to pause on notification (assuming there is enough memory for it to continue running at all) in Player Settings | Automatic Pause or Resume.

Julie

CrewF24
10-03-2016, 12:02 PM
I currently listen to BeyondPod via my in-car bluetooth connection. When I get in my car it starts playing just fine. If I make or receive a phone call over my in-car bluetooth, it pauses BeyondPod while I'm on the phone. When it resumes the podcast, it starts playing from the same spot it started from when I entered the car, not from when the call came in.

I have the exact same problem. It happens on any bluetooth connection, i also broadcast my feeds over to my desktop speakers and if i take a call (phone is not carried over bluetooth), after the call and BeyondPod resumes it is always falls back several minutes. I have the Replay on Resume set to "Do not Replay".

Could you provide some additional information to help resolve this:
Downloaded always
Moto X 2014 Verizon XT1096
6.0 but this also happened on 5.1.
I believe it happens to every feed.