PDA

View Full Version : BP crash: Transom podcast

Dennis Rockwell
05-16-2016, 09:34 AM
I have a hard BP crash (as in "Unfortunately, BeyondPod has stopped") whenever I try to play the episode <Mortified's "I Hate Drake"> from the Transom podcast (http://transom.org/topics/transom-podcast/feed/).

Samsung S4 Mini, stock Verizon Android 4.4.2, BP 4.2.10.

This results in a somewhat sticky situation, since restarting BP just crashes again. Tapping the loopy arrow (skip to end) button on the widget doesn't delete the episode, but it does let me start BP, open to the same episode, but paused.

Ah! On my 1st gen Nexus 7, stock Android 4.4.4, I get BP's "Requires external player" popup. Poking around with Root Explorer, the file has a .mov extension, but attempting to play it by tapping (through several different paths) causes Root Explorer to crash.

Doing this same procedure on my phone (Root Explorer, play as video, pick either the stock video player or photos) eventually gets some flavor of the "Sorry, this video cannot be played" popup.

juwlz
05-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Odd. Looking at the feed (with Firefox), the enclosures claim to be mp3 files, not .mov

I've just subscribed, and am downloading the latest (1 Mar) episodes, so we'll see what happens.

Julie

juwlz
05-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Plays fine for me.

Maybe a glitch in the feed that's been fixed?

Julie

Dennis Rockwell
05-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Other episodes have played for me; can you please check the one that failed for me, <Mortified's "I Hate Drake">?

Thanks!

juwlz
05-17-2016, 05:19 AM
Ah - didn't spot that, sorry.

That one IS posted as a .mov file, so can presumably only play if your phone supports .mov playback.

Mortified’s “I Hate Drake”
17 August 2009 17:11

A co-winner of our Self Portrait competition- from the comedy collective “Mortified” who encourage people to read out loud the most embarrassing things they wrote as children. “I Hate Drake” is an hysterical and heartfelt entry from Will Nolan’s childhood diary about an archetypal bullying episode. Produced by David Nadelberg.

The post Mortified’s “I Hate Drake” appeared first on Transom.
Media files
mort_animated_nolan_hi-res.mov (QuickTime Movie)

On my device, it doesn't even show any content, because I don't have .mov listed as a supported file type in Advanced Settings | Supported File Types, and I have Hide Unsupported Media ticked just above it in the Advanced Settings.

If I add .mov and restart BP, I can download it. However (on my Sony Xperia Z5) if I try to play it as a video, it loads a video player, but refuses to play. If I leave Play Video as Audio ticked, it doesn't appear to even try (although there would be no visible evidence of it trying anyway, other than being in the Player).

I'm using Beta version 4.2.10

So, TL;DR: If I have .mov excluded from supported file types, and don't show unsupported file types, it's clear it's never going to be expected to work.
If I include .mov, it won't play anyway, but I don't get a crash.
(And if I try to play it directly by navigating to it in a File Explorer and trying to use Sony's Video Player, it doesn't play either.)

So, whatever the cause, ticking the Hide Unsupported File Types and making sure .mov isn't in the list should prevent the crash.

Julie

Dennis Rockwell
05-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks very much! I didn't have .mov in 'supported' (stock, I think), but Hide Unsupported wasn't ticked.