PDA

View Full Version : issues with 4.2.18 and external SD card

Zugschlus
01-17-2017, 03:15 AM
Hi,

after being upgraded to beyondpod beta 4.2.18, I am facing severe issues with accessing the external SD card. My device is a Wileyfox Storm with Cyanogen 13.1.5, based on Android 6.0.1. It has worked fine in the past.

Yesterday, Beyondpod Beta 4.2.18 was installed and the fun started. All Podcasts show up as if no episodes were loaded, all episodes have the "Re-download" button. When I click on one of the episodes, I get a white popup "Oops, something is not right. Beyondpod was granted a permission to access your storage card, but for some reasons till can't write to it. Try restarting the device", a restart doesn't help.

My podcast download folder is set to /storage/9C33-6BBD/BeyondPod/Podcasts, which is an existing path but only has months old episode downloads. The alternate shown in BeyondPod settings, /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files is empty. When I clock on the "Podcast Download Folder" setting, it plays as if I ordered it to move my podcasts to internal storage and asks me whether I want to move or not, without giving any options to choose the path.

Trying to go back to Beyondpod Beta 4.2.16, I click on the .apk in File Manager and get a scree saying "Do you want to install an update to this existing application? Your existing data will not be lost. It does not require and special access", and clicking on "Install" says "App not installed". How can I go back to the last working version?

Greetings
Marc

juwlz
01-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Hi Marc

The only thing that surprises me is that it used to work. From KitKat onwards, Google/Android requires that apps wanting write access to an external card must use a private folder with the same name as the id of the app, within ~Android/data. (You can find the id for any app in the Play Store by clicking share to see what link it returns. For BeyondPod it's mobi.beyondpod.)

In your case the correct path for BeyondPod on your SD card would be /storage/9C33-6BBD/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts

If you move your folder there, it should all work just fine.

Julie

juwlz
01-17-2017, 07:15 AM
Trying to go back to Beyondpod Beta 4.2.16, I click on the .apk in File Manager and get a scree saying "Do you want to install an update to this existing application? Your existing data will not be lost. It does not require and special access", and clicking on "Install" says "App not installed". How can I go back to the last working version?
If you move your BeyondPod folder as described above, you don't need to go back.

Julie

Zugschlus
01-17-2017, 08:05 AM
Hi Marc

The only thing that surprises me is that it used to work. From KitKat onwards, Google/Android requires that apps wanting write access to an external card must use a private folder with the same name as the id of the app, within ~Android/data. (You can find the id for any app in the Play Store by clicking share to see what link it returns. For BeyondPod it's mobi.beyondpod.)

In your case the correct path for BeyondPod on your SD card would be /storage/9C33-6BBD/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts

If you move your folder there, it should all work just fine.

Hi Julie,

thanks for your answer. I do have a reasonably current Beyondpod folder in /storage/9C33-6BBD/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts, although I think that some of the younger Podcast files are missing in some directories while others are perfectly current. The directory in /storage/9C33-6BBD/BeyondPod/Podcasts seems to be untouched for months, but the new beta seems to be confused by this directory's presence. I have renamed it.

Beyondpod now seems to think that /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts is the correct directory to go, but that Podcasts directory is completely empty. It lists the correct /storage/9C33-6BBD/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts as an "alternative". Clicking on the field still brings up the "do you want to move your existing episodes to the alternative location". If I click on "move" now, what will happen to the correct files that are already in the alternative location?

Greetings
Marc

Zugschlus
01-17-2017, 09:32 AM
After making a copy of my /storage/9C33-6BBD/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts folder, I was braved and clicked on "Move". I had to confirm twice that I really really want to overwrite my data in /storage/9C33-6BBD/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts.

Thankfully it didn't overwrite, but instead merge the (empty?) directory from /storage/emulated/0, and at least the podcast and episode list now looks fine again. We'll see what the next podcast update round will bring.

Greetings
Marc

juwlz
01-18-2017, 02:36 AM
Thanks for letting me know.
Yes, the move does add new files to any existing ones, rather than overwriting any existing folder, so that was always a safe move.

Julie

Duke9700
01-18-2017, 09:06 AM
I've also been having these issues once upgrading to 4.2.18. I've gone through all the steps above as well as uninstalling, deleting all folders and reinstalling. I've done this both with restoring from a backup file as well as adding my feeds from scratch. Everything will be fine for a few minutes but eventually I always get the error:

"Oops... Something is not right!

BeyondPod was granted a permission to access your storage card but for some reason still can't write to it.

Try restarting the device."

Needless to say I have restarted a bunch through this process. Do I just go without BP until 4.2.19 comes out or do I back out of Beta and go back to the last stable version?

juwlz
02-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Where is your BeyondPod folder? (You can see from General Settings | Podcast Download Folder.)

For an SD card, it MUST be in /storage/nnnn-nnnn/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files
If it isn't there, Android won't let BP write to it. To move it there, tap the Podcast Download Folder, and choose Move.
(Don't worry. Althought it looks as though it will, it won't move your podcasts to internal storage).

Julie