PDA

View Full Version : 4.2.19 How long until some new release?

ratatosk
11-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Roughly how long until the new beta release, do you think? I would prefer not to delete the app and reinstall an old version, so if a new beta is coming in the next week or so I'll hold out. But it seems like maybe it will be much longer than that...

For what it's worth, I have a Pixel 2 running Android 8.0.0. The player is mostly functional for me, but trying to add a new feed crashes the app (in one instance when I tried to open the app from Play Store while it was crashed it crashed my phone, and another time it caused the phone to hang for a few seconds, which seems really bad). Aside from that, there are lots of annoyances with the new version (no play/paused notification, no controls in android pull-down menu, constant battery-use notification from Pixel, ignores color theme settings, white-on-white textboxes in add feed dialogue, et c.) but nothing that I can't put up with until a later release, confident in your ability to get back to the functionality of 4.2.18. But the broken add feed is a real problem.

David_D
11-29-2017, 01:14 AM
Roughly how long until the new beta release, do you think? I would prefer not to delete the app and reinstall an old version, so if a new beta is coming in the next week or so I'll hold out. But it seems like maybe it will be much longer than that...

For what it's worth, I have a Pixel 2 running Android 8.0.0. The player is mostly functional for me, but trying to add a new feed crashes the app (in one instance when I tried to open the app from Play Store while it was crashed it crashed my phone, and another time it caused the phone to hang for a few seconds, which seems really bad). Aside from that, there are lots of annoyances with the new version (no play/paused notification, no controls in android pull-down menu, constant battery-use notification from Pixel, ignores color theme settings, white-on-white textboxes in add feed dialogue, et c.) but nothing that I can't put up with until a later release, confident in your ability to get back to the functionality of 4.2.18. But the broken add feed is a real problem.

In every company I've worked for (15+ years in the industry), and every product within those companies, a release this bad would be cause for an immediate rollback. Frankly, releases with much, much less significant flaws would have been cause for a rollback. Even for a beta.

It's not at all obvious to me why that hasn't happened in this case, unless the release has also corrupted databases so badly that they need to build a recovery mechanism.

KimW
11-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Hello,

The development team is currently working on fixes for these bugs. We are planning to have a new release in the upcoming week(s). Feedback is what we like and expect from BETA users. Thank you for your feedback so we can resolve these issues.

BubiBalboa
11-29-2017, 11:00 AM
Please stop with the BETA stuff. You done fucked up. Own it. This isn't even remotely the standard one expects of a beta release. Don't act like there are just some minor bugs you're happy to get feedback on. You are making the situation worse with this attitude.

You should roll back this mess as fast as possible and apologize.

Golbez
11-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Please stop with the BETA stuff. You done fucked up. Own it. This isn't even remotely the standard one expects of a beta release. Don't act like there are just some minor bugs you're happy to get feedback on. You are making the situation worse with this attitude.

You should roll back this mess as fast as possible and apologize.

Absolutely agreed. This isn't "Feedback". This is "We're telling you that you messed up and are continuing to screw over paying customers." Don't say you're planning a release in the coming "week(s)", say "we're sorry we broke the program and will have a fix out immediately."

In fact, I don't think I've seen a single apology on this, just a thanks for our "feedback." You're going to get a lot more feedback, in quantity, volume, and publicity, if this isn't fixed ASAP.

ratatosk
11-29-2017, 05:19 PM
A few other issues that I forgot to mention:

Occasionally when I add an episode to the playlist, the player will load all the other episodes from that feed into the playlist. Or maybe it happens when the episode finishes? It happens intermittently, and I haven't actually seen it happen, I've only noticed later that the whole feed was in the playlist.

Also, clicking on an episode to read the description causes it to be marked as downloaded. There is a setting that seems like it should control whether this happens, but changing that setting doesn't seem to affect this behavior.

Also, the more I use this version, the more I miss the lack of controls in the Android pull-down menu. I mentioned that before, but it's a more serious concern than I intimated earlier.

Hello,

The development team is currently working on fixes for these bugs. We are planning to have a new release in the upcoming week(s). Feedback is what we like and expect from BETA users. Thank you for your feedback so we can resolve these issues.

frankb3
11-29-2017, 05:49 PM
After years of being a paid user, all I can say is WTF? I can't even reinstall from the play store after removing it. I can't get off the beta channel either. Just roll back and do it now!

colonelheero
11-30-2017, 01:36 PM
a new release in the upcoming week(s)
Don't want to sound rude or "entitled", but frankly, this is plainly not acceptable. Yes it is beta, we take the risk of having bugs here and there, in exchange for the latest feature and potentially help out the product we loved. It feels very irresponsible to invite people to help test your product, roll out a majorly broken beta, and expect people to wait for week(s) for it to be fixed. I'm not undermining the effort to build a good apps, and I understand it will take time to fix everything. But rolling back to a previously stable release should not be difficult, and should be considered your (not you specifically, but BP collectively) top priority at this point.

I have already returned to .18 so whatever you do here isn't going to impact me personally. But the longer it drags on, the more you are going to alienate your beta testers, if not the general user-base as a whole. Remember we are likely your best promoters out there. We are all watching how this thing go. You lose us, you lose the word-of-mouth.

rfe
11-30-2017, 01:55 PM
Don't want to sound rude or "entitled", but frankly, this is plainly not acceptable. Yes it is beta, we take the risk of having bugs here and there, in exchange for the latest feature and potentially help out the product we loved. It feels very irresponsible to invite people to help test your product, roll out a majorly broken beta, and expect people to wait for week(s) for it to be fixed. I'm not undermining the effort to build a good apps, and I understand it will take time to fix everything. But rolling back to a previously stable release should not be difficult, and should be considered your (not you specifically, but BP collectively) top priority at this point.

I have already returned to .18 so whatever you do here isn't going to impact me personally. But the longer it drags on, the more you are going to alienate your beta testers, if not the general user-base as a whole. Remember we are likely your best promoters out there. We are all watching how this thing go. You lose us, you lose the word-of-mouth.

Amen to this! I literally just rebuilt my entire BeyondPod feed two weeks ago (for my own reasons, unrelated to any issue with BP) and it took forever. I really, really don't want to have to delete this beta release, reinstall the last stable release and then rebuild yet again. Like so many others have said already, this isn't an issue of some minor bugs that need to be fixed. This is a *MAJORLY BROKEN* release. I am also a long time paid subscriber who has recommended this app to dozens and dozens of people over the years. I would really like to see BP release an update that would give the affected beta users the option of "upgrading" to the last stable release, rather than having to manually do it all. If it's not done by the weekend, I'll just have to give up and do it myself. That or see how MediaMonkey works for podcasts, I've been happy with the way they handle music, so maybe it's time to give them a try for podcasts as well.

What I do know is if I have to manually do all this work again, at the very least I will no longer be a beta tester. It just won't be worth it after dealing with this dumpster fire of an update. I am very disappointed in BeyondPod right now.

Golbez
11-30-2017, 03:25 PM
I will note that inexplicably, beta 19 is still up for download. Why? Who is in charge of this?

dlynch
11-30-2017, 05:18 PM
... , constant battery-use notification from Pixel, ....

That one isn't due to the new release, it's Android 8.0.

There is a deeply buried setting to turn this off. (Roughly, go to the Settings from one of these Google Play Services notifications, and you'll find on for app battery usage. You can make it silent or disabled altogether.)

sgk
12-02-2017, 10:38 AM
+1 this is nuts. You deployed a release that is completely unusable. The solution isn't to make paying customers wait "week(s)" for an update. Roll it back.

Parallax Abstraction
12-02-2017, 10:55 AM
After months and months and months of no production updates, the app breaks on Oreo and this nightmare of an update that is barely functional is pushed out before a holiday and then silence. Unbelievable. I'm looking into alternative podcast apps and am really regretting having paid for Pro.

forgedfoe
12-04-2017, 10:07 PM
I will note that inexplicably, beta 19 is still up for download. Why? Who is in charge of this?

Is there a way to report this to Google? It's so broken that it's literally unusable and destroys configurations. This is pre-Alpha code. It's actually more buggy than Apple software.

jdellachiesa
12-06-2017, 11:35 AM
This update is sooooo bad, it's ridiculous. I've never seen a worse beta.

When will the updated version be available? I listen 5+ hours a day and the app is so messed up that isn't possible. I will be looking for alternatives if this isn't resolved this week. There are other players out there and if they actually care about their users, I will go that direction.

Thanks,
Jarrod

RincewindTVD
12-07-2017, 02:35 AM
Is there a way to report this to Google? It's so broken that it's literally unusable and destroys configurations. This is pre-Alpha code. It's actually more buggy than Apple software.

Yes... You report the app as inappropriate in the play store and choose the reason that it is harmful to data.

But that's a pretty extreme choice.

jdellachiesa
12-08-2017, 05:01 AM
Any updates here?!?

KimW
12-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Hello,

The only update I have from development at this time is that the fixes are actively being made and tested. When I have more information about when these fixes will be released, I will update you all.

dlynch
12-09-2017, 12:26 AM
Hi, Kim. Thanks for stepping up to be the communications conduit in this unfortunate situation!

Can you answer a couple of questions?

1) who are you? What exactly is your relationship to BeyondPod?

2) what is the relationship of the "developers" to BeyondPod? Who are they? (And yes, I mean by name. Most open source developers are eager to be known by their projects. If this situation is different, how?)

3) I think I understand how developers might be thinking about this - only so many hours in a day, don't want to deal with short term issues at the expense of the path forward, this whole 8.1 thing wasn't my idea. Is there anybody involved with BeyondPod who is primarily an advocate for the user?

juwlz
12-09-2017, 06:29 PM
2) what is the relationship of the "developers" to BeyondPod? Who are they? (And yes, I mean by name. Most open source developers are eager to be known by their projects. If this situation is different, how?)
BeyondPod isn't Open Source. It's been owned and supported by Smart Data Systems (https://www.smartdatasystems.com/products/beyondpod/) since March 2016.

juwlz
12-09-2017, 06:30 PM
(And contrary to the label under my name, I stopped working on BeyondPod in March 2017.)

BubiBalboa
12-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Oh boy.

I suspected there was a guy that just outsourced the development and did minimal upkeep once the app was "good enough". Turns out the company that the guy could have hired had the idea themselves and created a tech demo to show to potential customers and made a side business out of it.

I'm sure the company could do some really cool stuff with the manpower they have available but it seems like there is little interest in actually improving the app anymore.

I hope Kimberly gets the go ahead to actually talk to us about what's going on.

People looking for an alternative, should the wait for a fix get too long, I recommend they take a look at PodcastAddict. It's ugly as sin but is has a ton of options and the dev is pretty active.

colonelheero
12-11-2017, 02:09 PM
BeyondPod isn't Open Source. It's been owned and supported by Smart Data Systems (https://www.smartdatasystems.com/products/beyondpod/) since March 2016.
Ha I think that explained why the once beloved apps have done down hill in the past year or so. All good things must come to an end. Perhaps this is the signal.

(And contrary to the label under my name, I stopped working on BeyondPod in March 2017.)
Julie, I am sure a lot of us on this board really appreciate your support while you were attached to the project. The active dev support was what made BP great. The ride from 3.0 to 4.0 was definitely rough but I think at the end it turned out well once the criticism died down. I wish you good luck in whatever next role you find yourself in!

IcicleTrepan
12-11-2017, 11:41 PM
I really love BeyondPod but I don't think I can wait much longer

juwlz
12-12-2017, 03:20 AM
Julie, I am sure a lot of us on this board really appreciate your support while you were attached to the project. The active dev support was what made BP great. The ride from 3.0 to 4.0 was definitely rough but I think at the end it turned out well once the criticism died down. I wish you good luck in whatever next role you find yourself in!
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Julie

MichaelT
12-12-2017, 05:23 AM
The player is mostly functional for me, but trying to add a new feed crashes the app (in one instance when I tried to open the app from Play Store while it was crashed it crashed my phone, and another time it caused the phone to hang for a few seconds, which seems really bad). ... But the broken add feed is a real problem.

Hi, Also reporting the same add feed functionality problem with v4.2.19.
Trying to add a feed hangs the program.

KimW
12-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Hi, Kim. Thanks for stepping up to be the communications conduit in this unfortunate situation!

Can you answer a couple of questions?

1) who are you? What exactly is your relationship to BeyondPod?

3) I think I understand how developers might be thinking about this - only so many hours in a day, don't want to deal with short term issues at the expense of the path forward, this whole 8.1 thing wasn't my idea. Is there anybody involved with BeyondPod who is primarily an advocate for the user?

Hello,

I am an employee of Smart Data Systems and am part of the customer service team for BeyondPod. We have just brought in a new development team from a different company to start helping with BeyondPod so that fixes and maintenance can be a bit faster, as before we only have one developer available to work on BeyondPod. I communicate all of the feedback I receive here on the forum to the development team and try to get things moving for you all but unfortunately there is only so much I can do on my end as I am not a developer and cannot contribute to that part.

Our new team is working on fixes and they do have some fixes made but they want to get all of the fixes done and tested before pushing out a new version. I will update you all as I have more information for you. I apologize for the inconvenience.

MichaelT
12-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Is there a workaround procedure you can give us for adding a feed without the app hanging? Or do we need to wait for the next beta release.

phalkon30
12-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Roll back to a previous version, it's the only "workaround" unfortunately.

jpearl
12-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Honestly after weeks of this not working, I've started using a different podcast app. At some point, it's time to just move on since this hasn't been fixed by now.

AcerbicMaelin
12-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Honestly after weeks of this not working, I've started using a different podcast app. At some point, it's time to just move on since this hasn't been fixed by now.

Which one? I tried out Pocket Casts because it was highly rated but it doesn't appear to have functionality to do automatic downloading in release order (!).

forgedfoe
12-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Which one? I tried out Pocket Casts because it was highly rated but it doesn't appear to have functionality to do automatic downloading in release order (!).

I agree. Everyone raves about Pocket Casts, but coming from BeyondPod, it's pretty bare bones in customization features. I can't use it. Looking for other recommendations.

phalkon30
12-14-2017, 08:58 AM
As pissed as I am, I don't see many better options out there (dog catcher?). Just roll back to the .18 release. I won't be moving on for a long time, this version just works.

I totally hate the attitude of the developers, but sticking with the last working version means I won't have to deal with them until Android 9.0 breaks something (then I'll start looking around for a new app).

Not using the latest beta is still an option, and it looks like the best one to me.

jpearl
12-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Look at the filter option. I was able to create a filter of the podcasts I listen to and sort them by date order. Similar functionality to the playlist in BeyondPod. Does that help?

KimW
12-14-2017, 11:27 AM
@MichaelT and @ratatosk and anyone else who is having an issue with adding new feeds: Could you send your BeyondPod Log when the app crashes after trying to add a new feed please? I have sent my own personal log to the developers but they would like as many logs as possible from different devices.

Thank you.

colonelheero
12-14-2017, 01:47 PM

I agree. Everyone raves about Pocket Casts, but coming from BeyondPod, it's pretty bare bones in customization features. I can't use it. Looking for other recommendations.

Look at the filter option. I was able to create a filter of the podcasts I listen to and sort them by date order. Similar functionality to the playlist in BeyondPod. Does that help?

As pissed as I am, I don't see many better options out there (dog catcher?). Just roll back to the .18 release. I won't be moving on for a long time, this version just works.

This just shows the previous developers were doing such a great job that, even after this debacle, it is still the best out there (at least for our need). But that likely won't hold true much longer. According to her blog, Julie has picked Podcast Addict. Just saying.
Personally I'm staying with .18 until either next Android breaks it or Episodesync no longer works (given the couple issues we have this year, I'm not optimistic).

Cryptonium
12-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Which one are you trying?

I'm trying Podcast Addict and it seems nice so far!

jpearl
12-14-2017, 02:41 PM
Which one are you trying?

I'm trying Podcast Addict and it seems nice so far!

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'm using PocketCast. Seems good so far.

stevetursi
12-15-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm evaluating other podcast apps myself. That's after using BeyondPod for many years.

(BeyondPod has gone from the same .19 annoying bugs others are complaining about to downright unusable after the android 8.1 update: controls stopped working, playback is unreliable. I was willing to deal with annoying bugs, but with 8.1 we have a serious problem. And after seeing some of the people on this forum are literally suggesting that I shouldn't expect it to work, and no 'official' response, I'm deciding to look elsewhere.)

So on the train ride in this morning I downloaded a few new podcast apps to evaluate.

So far my favorite is AntennaPod. Has anyone tried it?
Seems to have most of the options of BP, and then some.
(One in particular I always wish BeyondPod had was parallel downloads..)
If it's good with Android Auto then I may have a winner..

forgedfoe
12-15-2017, 12:57 PM
I'm evaluating other podcast apps myself. That's after using BeyondPod for many years.

(BeyondPod has gone from the same .19 annoying bugs others are complaining about to downright unusable after the android 8.1 update: controls stopped working, playback is unreliable. I was willing to deal with annoying bugs, but with 8.1 we have a serious problem. And after seeing some of the people on this forum are literally suggesting that I shouldn't expect it to work, and no 'official' response, I'm deciding to look elsewhere.)

So on the train ride in this morning I downloaded a few new podcast apps to evaluate.

So far my favorite is AntennaPod. Has anyone tried it?
Seems to have most of the options of BP, and then some.
(One in particular I always wish BeyondPod had was parallel downloads..)
If it's good with Android Auto then I may have a winner..

Been trying Podcast Addict for the past day. It's great with Android Auto -- forward/reverse are tied to skips, not next/previous podcasts. That in itself is a huge improvement over BP.

demandtheworst
12-16-2017, 12:43 PM
I don't get how you could hope to continue a beta test program, if when a bad version is published if won't be fixed for three weeks (so far). Who would risk an app they use daily being disabled for no benefit, if the risk is completely unmitigated?

Crunchy
12-19-2017, 11:58 AM
I have been submitting error logs almost daily for a couple of weeks. I have used BP for years as a paid app on several phones and this is the first time it has been so broken for so long.

Do any of the other good podcatchers have the ability to play back at a custom speed? I listen to all of my podcasts at 2.2x speed and I can't stand regular speed playback anymore after doing it this way for years.

stevetursi
12-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Do any of the other good podcatchers have the ability to play back at a custom speed? I listen to all of my podcasts at 2.2x speed and I can't stand regular speed playback anymore after doing it this way for years.

antennaPod does, and furthermore lets you have as many presets as you want between 0.5 and 4.0x. but - on android auto only 1x is supported.
It's open source, so I may try my hand on adding that feature and submitting a PR. But I've only done rudimentary android programming and nothing with Auto.

(BeyondPod, by comparison, didn't offer custom speeds on Android Auto, but it did have 1.5x and 2x which was good enough for me. It also only allowed only two presets, though the dial let you choose anything you wanted in between, when it worked, which wasn't always.)

RincewindTVD
12-19-2017, 07:13 PM
I have been submitting error logs almost daily for a couple of weeks. I have used BP for years as a paid app on several phones and this is the first time it has been so broken for so long.

Podcast Addict does.

TinCanFury
01-02-2018, 11:31 AM
it's been over two weeks and still no updated beta, any word on when we can expect one now?

for those trying new podcast apps, do any of them support syncing across multiple devices?

jpearl
01-02-2018, 11:36 AM
I've been using Pocket Casts for a few weeks and it works well. Syncing is easy and I've been quite happy with it. BeyondPod hadn't worked for over a month. I think it's time for me to officially move on.

KimW
01-02-2018, 04:44 PM
it's been over two weeks and still no updated beta, any word on when we can expect one now?

for those trying new podcast apps, do any of them support syncing across multiple devices?

The developers are finishing fixes on a couple more bugs with the latest beta release (they wanted to get most of them fixed before pushing it out) and in house testing is happening. Once those fixes are cleared in testing, the beta release will be pushed out to the public. I don't have an exact time when it will be pushed as it depends on when all of the bug fixes are cleared in testing but I expect it to be in the next few weeks if not sooner.

Golbez
01-03-2018, 10:34 AM
The developers are finishing fixes on a couple more bugs with the latest beta release (they wanted to get most of them fixed before pushing it out) and in house testing is happening. Once those fixes are cleared in testing, the beta release will be pushed out to the public. I don't have an exact time when it will be pushed as it depends on when all of the bug fixes are cleared in testing but I expect it to be in the next few weeks if not sooner.

Have the developers explained at all what caused the .19 release? You mention in-house testing; did any of that take place for .19? If not, why not?

jalapi
01-04-2018, 12:38 PM

This app needs to be updated...it's unusable now and had to revert to an older version. Shameful that you take our money and we are waiting this long for a fix. At least make reverting easier.

KimW
01-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Have the developers explained at all what caused the .19 release? You mention in-house testing; did any of that take place for .19? If not, why not?

Yes, in house testing was done but it was obviously done fast and not as thorough as it should have been. I apologize for that. This will not happen with this next release.

KimW
01-04-2018, 01:46 PM
This app needs to be updated...it's unusable now and had to revert to an older version. Shameful that you take our money and we are waiting this long for a fix. At least make reverting easier.

We understand and apologize for the issues that occurred with the latest beta release and it will be updated as soon as testing is done on the fixes made by development. To be fair though, the paid version, 4.2.16 is usable. The beta versions are not paid versions.

jalapi
01-04-2018, 02:16 PM

I have been using Pocket Casts and their syncing is done right. The only thing I don't like about it is the ability to not schedule an update time. With the latest release it only gives two options; automatic or manual on app open. The automatic apparently checks every 15 minutes and you can set it to only update when on wifi. The silly thing is this function was present in earlier versions however I think the battery optimization settings in newer android versions causes issues so they changed it.

If BeyondPod ever gets their stuff together I'll download it again and try it. The latest version is terrible; guessing their app development team experienced some turn over. No other way to explain how this app is this messed up.

jalapi
01-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Explain why I cannot leave the beta group through the marketplace link? NO matter what I do it installs .19 regardless of beta settings. Disabling auto update and manually downloading the apk to revert plus backing up my app settings in .19 and not being able to restore in .18 or other versions...not acceptable. Unzipping backups and editing text files to make a backup work (which works sometimes) is not why I paid for a premium version.

stevetursi
01-04-2018, 05:42 PM
We understand and apologize for the issues that occurred with the latest beta release and it will be updated as soon as testing is done on the fixes made by development. To be fair though, the paid version, 4.2.16 is usable. The beta versions are not paid versions.

I wonder how many people are like me - have bought the paid version because we wanted to support BP, but also trusted you guys not to mess up the beta version beyond the bounds of usability.

ratatosk
01-06-2018, 01:33 AM
I wonder how many people are like me - have bought the paid version because we wanted to support BP, but also trusted you guys not to mess up the beta version beyond the bounds of usability.

Count me in that number. I paid for BeyondPod years ago, and I only switched to the beta recently because I wanted support for playing from a folder, because my downloaded old podcasts did not transfer to my new phone and I had to transfer them manually. Then, about a month later, the new beta is released, my phone updates to it automatically, and everything falls apart. I understand that KimW is having to put up with a lot of crap, but that paid dig hurts. I've tried to be loyal to this product, and I still think it's the best option out there, but this user experience has been a nightmare and I will not recommend BeyondPod to anyone until this is a distant memory. I'm going to change my rating to the lowest possible right now, something I've avoided to this point. I know it's a drop in the bucket, and that even if every beta tester did the same it wouldn't matter, but this is insane.

ratatosk
01-06-2018, 02:01 AM

Fair enough; I take your point. I paid for the thing years ago. I am leaving the Beta, and downgrading to the stable product. A backlog of episodes isn't worth this nonsense.

itowill
01-06-2018, 10:47 PM
I've been using Pocket Casts for a few weeks and it works well. Syncing is easy and I've been quite happy with it. BeyondPod hadn't worked for over a month. I think it's time for me to officially move on.

Hello well it's Jan 6 2018 happy new year there still is not a stable update and I can't seem to downgrade from beta despite leaving. I was wondering if pocket cast allows ompl imports and making custom groups like this app. For example I have pods listed under news like npr or rmaddow, then another group of sci-fi tv/books.
Can you create this in PC surprisingly many apps I've tried even iPhone don't allow virtual folders like audio books or creating simply folders. It's why I loved this and wonder what happened.

Thanks for any insight I hope you're enjoying podcast again.

W

BubiBalboa
01-10-2018, 09:38 AM
It's now been about two months since this disastrous update has been rolled out.

You can write a podcast app from scratch in that time, let alone fix a buggy release. I conclude they are not actually working on fixing this mess. At least not full time or with a dev that is worth the name.

What frustrates me the most is the squandered potential this once fine app has. It has been regularly one of the 3 most recommended podcast apps and this stupid ass company is shitting on their own success and their users by not at least releasing maintenance updates, not to speak of actually improving the app. It's a damn shame.

stevetursi
01-10-2018, 09:58 AM
It's now been about two months since this disastrous update has been rolled out.

You can write a podcast app from scratch in that time, let alone fix a buggy release. I conclude they are not actually working on fixing this mess. At least not full time or with a dev that is worth the name.

What frustrates me the most is the squandered potential this once fine app has. It has been regularly one of the 3 most recommended podcast apps and this stupid ass company is shitting on their own success and their users by not at least releasing maintenance updates, not to speak of actually improving the app. It's a damn shame.

Yes. It seems to me that a patch can be rolled out relatively quickly.. a few days.
What's driving me crazy is the lack of communication. "updated as soon as testing is done on the fixes made by development" is self evident. We all want to know when. I would have expected that to happen before Thanksgiving, not after MLK day.

KimW
01-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Yes. It seems to me that a patch can be rolled out relatively quickly.. a few days.
What's driving me crazy is the lack of communication. "updated as soon as testing is done on the fixes made by development" is self evident. We all want to know when. I would have expected that to happen before Thanksgiving, not after MLK day.

Fixes have been made and is being tested. I can assure you of that. Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA for when the fixes will be pushed to the public quite yet. I have been trying to get an answer to that question for you all from the development team but I have not been given that answer quite yet. I will update you all as soon as I know when we can expect the new release to become available. Again, my apologies!

BubiBalboa
01-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Aaand another week without update or new info. Man they sure are testing that release thoroughly. :rolleyes:

phalkon30
01-18-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm sure they're super gun-shy about releasing with bugs after the hell we've raised....but come on. The last beta could have been pulled after 3 minutes of testing, and we've gone long enough without any real news that they could have written the whole damn thing from scratch by now. I feel like there's a middle ground that would have been realistic for a beta release here.

Kingcrimson
01-18-2018, 10:22 AM
It's been almost two months since they released this completely broken beta, and they haven't even taken it down, much less rolled out the old version with a new version number.

There is zero chance there is anyone working on this anymore. I suspect development is contracted out to some foreign agency, and the owner of the program doesn't want to spend any more money.

BubiBalboa
01-18-2018, 10:49 AM
The thing is, they are the company that does the contract work for others.

https://www.smartdatasystems.com/products/beyondpod/

Pretty sure their customers would freak out and run away if they knew how this product is being managed.

Kingcrimson
01-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Doesn't mean they're doing the actual development. Could be basically a guy in his apartment contracting out the coding.

BubiBalboa
01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Oh sure, but you would think if they owned the product and are a company that claims to do mobile development they would do it themselves.

Everything about this company feels wrong if you check out the website. I won't make accusations but I wouldn't spend my money with them. I have my theories what they are about.

Golbez
01-18-2018, 12:10 PM
I don't think KimW is lying. I think they're lying to KimW.

phalkon30
01-18-2018, 01:06 PM
I agree, I think we need to remember not to shoot the messenger here (Kim).

Maybe start emailing the company directly to see if we can get any movement?

https://www.smartdatasystems.com/contact/

BubiBalboa
01-18-2018, 02:48 PM
I don't think KimW is lying.

Agreed, at least not on her own accord. Can't do much if the bossman gives the order.

It couldn't hurt to tell them per email that their bad management is being noticed, I think.

MarkP666
01-21-2018, 05:52 AM
I finally gave up waiting. Yesterday I left the beta program, uninstalled and reinstalled the release version. I couldn't get the backup to work, so had to resubscribe to my podcasts, but the whole process only took me 20 minutes. All works fine now!

ratatosk
01-22-2018, 02:12 PM
I gave up about 2 weeks ago; I spent about 30 minutes taking notes on the current status of my podcasts, then did a complete uninstall and reinstalled the current non-beta version. Out of curiosity, I did try restoring to a backup from the beta, but of course it did not work - but I expected that, which is why I spent all that time taking notes. I resubscribed to my feeds, taking the opportunity to prune some dead limbs, and now everything is back to normal. Sure, I can't use the app to play from folders, but I've just gone back to using VLC for that - not ideal, but whatever.

The point is, it was such a relief to go back to a functional product! Like a weight being lifted from my back, the sun reemerging from behind a dark cloud. So, I strongly urge everyone else gnashing their teeth at this beta debacle to abandon ship and go back to the stable release. Come on in, boys, the water is fine! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjWHBHlvAs)

KimW
01-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Hello All,

I am sorry getting these fixes out is taking so long. I wish I could speed up the process but unfortunately that's out of my hands. I will continue to keep you updated as I have useful information for you! Again, I apologize for this inconvenience.

Kingcrimson
01-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Can you shed some light on who you're actually in contact with?

KimW
01-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Can you shed some light on who you're actually in contact with?

I speak directly with the development team we have contracted out to work on BeyondPod.

Golbez
01-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Is this the same team that produced the now-two month old and inexplicably STILL AVAILABLE broken release?

Also, again I must ask: Why is .19 still available, and not just .18? Why are you still willingly delivering a known broken release to unsuspecting users who have volunteered to help you test your programs?

BubiBalboa
01-24-2018, 06:56 AM
Hey Kim! Thanks for the update. Do you know if the team will only fix the current bugs or is there chance we will get some improvements in the future?

BeyondPod is still the best podcatcher (I tried almost all competitors in the wake of this situation here) but it will inevitably loose relevance if it continues to stagnate at the feature set of early 2016.

KimW
01-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Hey Kim! Thanks for the update. Do you know if the team will only fix the current bugs or is there chance we will get some improvements in the future?

BeyondPod is still the best podcatcher (I tried almost all competitors in the wake of this situation here) but it will inevitably loose relevance if it continues to stagnate at the feature set of early 2016.

Hello,

Right now the team is working to fix the issues that occurred with the latest release. That is obviously first priority. I do know there are suggested features that are in the list of things to do for BeyondPod but I don't know when in the future those will start to be implemented.

BubiBalboa
01-29-2018, 11:30 AM
People are starting to notice...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/29/beyondpods-beta-release-completely-broken-months-new-owners-dont-seem-care/

Golbez
01-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Good, and thanks to whoever alerted the press to this nonsense.

milliman
01-31-2018, 11:02 PM
I finally got fed up with the .19 release and tried to back down but I could not for some reason. I don't have the time to remove the application and re-install it. I am shocked at how many things were broken in the .19 release. The betas have always been very good.

I hope to heck that the next beta is released soon. I'm going nuts with my podcasts not automatically updating or syncing.

If you want a new development team, please contact me. I can help.

Nate1481
02-01-2018, 05:47 PM
So tomorrow I finally have time to uninstall and go back to mainline version, but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort or I should just jump ship if so any recommendations?

bobsterco
02-02-2018, 12:23 AM
I used the adb based procedure a couple of weeks ago to go back to .18. Been glad to get back to my old, stable, full featured friend since.

phalkon30
02-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Yeah, the .18 release works perfectly well and is the last release from the developers that actually knew what they were doing (or cared). I rolled back months ago, and probably won't roll forward until I'm forced to by an OS update.

Past that, Pocket Casts was highly recommended on AndroidPolice when they had the article a few days ago. You'd miss some smart play features but I was assured that filters are similar.

jfallesen
02-04-2018, 07:10 AM
I'll personally be surprised if any new release of BeyondPod ever comes out but I could be wrong.

Recently decided to try Pocket Casts and the only thing I am missing is the automatic jump back a few seconds after a pause in playback. In most areas, PC is a vastly superior product to BP (not least in the fact that it actually works) and I am not going to go back to BP and its terrible user interface, even if they get their act together and fix the issues.

Sure, there are features in BP that you will not find in PC so if any of those are important to you, switching may obviously not be for you.

KimW
02-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Hello All,

I have heard from the lead developer that we should have a public release within the next week. I actually had requested to be a part of the testing and I have tested the new beta they have produced myself. They are being thorough as there was such a mess up this past time.

The next step is to release the new beta to a handful of volunteer beta users that would like to use and test the new version and then releasing to the full public after that. (This version is planned to become the new production version as well assuming all is well when released as a beta first.)

I can tell you for a fact though that work has been done this whole time and that the fixes have been made as I have personally used the new, fixed version myself on my own devices. I want to personally thank you all for your continued patience and also my apologies that this has taken this long to get it out to the public but they are making sure everything is working properly before this is passed along again to the users.

I did want to give you the latest update I had and let you know we are so very close to having this new working version to you all. I will be updating you again when I have more information on an exact date of when the public beta release will be made.

Thank you.

KimW
02-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Hello All,

We are looking for about 20 volunteers that are willing to test and provide feedback on the newest beta 4.2.21. At this time, we are only interested in bugs. We can take feature requests once we’ve verified we have a solid build and even then, those feature requests will be worked on in future releases.

If you are interested in being a volunteer, please let me know and I will private message you information and a link to get the 4.2.21 beta version.

Thank you!

scumhook
02-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the update Kim. I don't want to be a beta tester as I know I won't be bothered to provide feedback so I don't want to waste a spot. Hope this goes well.