PDA

View Full Version : 4.2.19 and beta testing

sornis
12-05-2017, 11:12 AM
I've been beta testing beyondpod and other programs for ages and the reaction of "beta testers" to 4.2.19 makes me wonder if people read licence agreaments or any instructions at all.
If you don't want problems you have the stable versions don't use alpha or beta or nightly or any variation for that matter.
Paying customers may sometimes be invited to test versions closed to "normal" users but if beta testing is open to general public like beyondpod why risk it?
There are rules to beta testing and even that rules some time won't prevent total loss even of the hardware.
Beta testing is not an obligation so we must allways be carefull.
Things like I can't return to previous version beacause I didn't back up is not other people's fault, if that has never happend to you before you were lucky.
The porpouse of beta testing is not acessing new features before other users, it's testing new features so that stable versions may be launched with those features.

I choose to beta test beyondpod on a positive matter and I can stop when ever I want it's a matter of removing the flag from "Beta Version Notification"

4.2.19 is one of the worst versions of the program has known.
So if you found any problem... report it so that the next version may correct the problem...

Here is the list of the problems I found (of the features I use):

Pause Video on Screen Off not selected, yet everytime video pauses on Screen Off
Allows streaming on Data when select "on Wifi only"
Skip to the end button disapeared
Whe playlist ends / Restart Smartplay doesn't work so everytime a playlist ends I have to manualy start it again
Auto rebuild doesn't work so new downloaded episodes won't force rebuild
Can't add podcasts from search because it hangs, but if I copy the podcast address from the internet (ie) and add the adress it works
Update logs cant be opened it hangs

English is not my main language so sorry if some phrases look like alien english.

stuartajc
12-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Fair enough about being in the Beta program, we should expect problems. But I have been using Beta versions for about ten years, and never had problems like with this release before, because versions were tested before being released as Beta. This version clearly has not been tested, as the bugs are so obvious, as soon as you open the App. This is like a pre-Alpha release.

sornis
12-07-2017, 05:42 AM
I agree with your and everybodys opinion on the release it is really bad.

But coding is not magic so feed back should be about improving and correcting to speed the next beta along

Golbez
12-07-2017, 09:45 AM
I agree with your and everybodys opinion on the release it is really bad.

But coding is not magic so feed back should be about improving and correcting to speed the next beta along

Coding is not magic, actually looking at your program before you release it isn't magic either. We don't want to "speed the next beta along," we want them to roll this beta back.

JohnQ
12-07-2017, 10:55 AM
No offense, but this is not beta-quality. It's not even alpha-quality.

I mean, it seems safe to bet that whoever built this release then installed it on a phone or emulator.... And it should have died there.

I'm all for beta testing to find bugs, but this release fails basic viability tests.

sornis
12-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Golbez "We" who? There are lots of wes but I only speek for myself, I for instance have looked through code before and thought it was OK and yet sometimes shit happend... as long as it is on beta I don't see any problem to f... up once in a while... There are two solutions to who is not satisfied with this beta version... don't use betas or install the previous beta, seems simple.
JohnQ I'm with you on that one but I want to move forward not backwards thats all, If they took 4.2.19 down damage is done to the people who did not back up and updated....
Like I said before going back is easy unless its not If protocol was followed... uninstall 4.2.19 install 4.2.18 and voilá...

Golbez
12-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Golbez "We" who? There are lots of wes but I only speek for myself, I for instance have looked through code before and thought it was OK and yet sometimes shit happend... as long as it is on beta I don't see any problem to f... up once in a while... There are two solutions to who is not satisfied with this beta version... don't use betas or install the previous beta, seems simple.
JohnQ I'm with you on that one but I want to move forward not backwards thats all, If they took 4.2.19 down damage is done to the people who did not back up and updated....
Like I said before going back is easy unless its not If protocol was followed... uninstall 4.2.19 install 4.2.18 and voilá...

Screwing up once in a while, that's fine. Letting it sit for going on three weeks now is insanity. They lost all goodwill when the beta remained available for download after the first reports came in, and is still available nearly a month later without a single word of explanation.

sornis
12-07-2017, 01:10 PM
You seem to strive on confrontation (kidding)... you are right thou on keeping the release available.
So what have you decided to do?
Did you keep the "broken release" ou did you unistalled and reversed?
I am still "using" the new release there is a "new" feature at least I had not notice it before which I like
It is is on virtual feed folders when a file has artwork atached to it, it show while playing... never seen it before on previous versions

chassum
12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Yesterday I installed Android 8.1.0 on my Nexus 6P and it broke BeyondPod v4.2.19.
Attempting to update a feed or play a podcast makes the app unresponsive and I have to force quit.
I've been beta testing BP for years, but this is the first time an update has broken things this badly.

sornis
12-07-2017, 04:42 PM
chassum did you back up and exported to opml before the instalation of 4.2.19? if you did you should as you can see by the many negative coments about 4.2.19 install 4.2.18 instead

chassum
12-07-2017, 05:41 PM
chassum did you back up and exported to opml before the instalation of 4.2.19? if you did you should as you can see by the many negative coments about 4.2.19 install 4.2.18 instead

I didn't really have any major issues with 4.2.19 prior to the android update. (nope, I didn't do a backup ;( ) Maybe we'll get an update soon designed to handle 8.1.0

sornis
12-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Your case was really reverse engeneering you had a stable solution
99% of the people here updated beyond pod and had trouble
you instaled OS
you should at leat try 4.2.18 to see if the problem is BP or OS

chassum
12-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Your case was really reverse engeneering you had a stable solution
99% of the people here updated beyond pod and had trouble
you instaled OS
you should at leat try 4.2.18 to see if the problem is BP or OS

Probably a good idea. I'm doing QA on a major release for the company I work for tonight, but hope to have some free cycles to get back to this before the end of the week.

phalkon30
12-08-2017, 08:02 AM
I'm on 8.1 with the .18 release and it's fine, it is definitely beyond pod. The app makes the phone not usable when updated to .19

sornis
12-08-2017, 08:04 AM
thanks phalkon30, chassum there is proof in the puding hehehehe you should reverse to .18 tu keep using BP