PDA

View Full Version : 4.2.31 Beta won't complete install

MikeCTIDTaylor
04-26-2018, 04:23 PM
I just downloaded 4.2.31 and installed on my Note 8 over 4.2.30. At the end of the install a request to allow access to the existing folder pops up, pressing allow does nothing except pop up a message telling me I can delete the existing version and install again. I don't want to do that so I'm stuck at the allow screen.

asmalldharma
04-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Same here. And like an idiot I didn't do a backup before installing...

MikeCTIDTaylor
04-27-2018, 12:44 AM
Exactly what I did. Once I uninstalled it all it does install OK, I did have a backup from November so I haven't lost much config.

thesvelteone
04-27-2018, 06:23 AM
Another one here. Argh.

KimW
04-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Hello,

I had the same issue when v4.2.31 was released and I already spoke with development about it to look into.

asmalldharma
04-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Did you just do an uninstall/reinstall of the app or did you have to move/delete the existing folder?

KimW
04-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Did you just do an uninstall/reinstall of the app or did you have to move/delete the existing folder?

Unfortunately I had to delete my current BP folder and do a "Clean Install" as it suggests to get it to complete the install. Once I did that, I had no issue. I have never had that issue before so I immediately let development know. I was hoping I was the only one who ran into that issue but it looks like I was not alone. :/

phalkon30
04-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Yikes, glad I didn't install it yesterday! Thanks for the heads up, will be sitting this one out.

KimW
04-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Yikes, glad I didn't install it yesterday! Thanks for the heads up, will be sitting this one out.

It doesn't seem to be happening with everyone. I do know some users had no issues when installing v4.2.31. But I understand waiting :)

asmalldharma
04-27-2018, 11:13 PM
Can't change backup location or download path folder.

asmalldharma
04-27-2018, 11:15 PM
When I try it says something like "ok... But beyondpod will not be able to access your storage card (update something something)

SallyC
04-29-2018, 08:21 PM
I just installed the beta and am having the same issue as the OP. I seem unable to give it permissions. Guess I'll have to delete my installed folder.

KimW
04-30-2018, 09:39 AM
I already have developers looking into why this install is having an issue accepting the permissions to finish install. I personally deleted the previous folder to complete the install for now but you can re-install v4.2.30 and hold off until the next release if that works better for you. I have never had that issue happen before but I did report it to development as soon as it did so they are actively trying to find the cause and a solution.

KimW
04-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Can't change backup location or download path folder.

I will take a look into this and report this to development as well. I am seeing an issue with changing the location myself.

DrR0Ck
05-07-2018, 12:35 PM
I just updated via Play store and have the same issue with 4.2.32. App asks for permissions to storage and asks again after Allow is clicked over and over.

KimW
05-07-2018, 02:07 PM
I just updated via Play store and have the same issue with 4.2.32. App asks for permissions to storage and asks again after Allow is clicked over and over.

Thank you for letting me know. We have had a couple of other users report the same issue so I have already let development know. I had the issue in v4.2.31 but not with v4.2.32 so hopefully they can get this fixed so no one has this issue anymore.

Mart1nS
05-08-2018, 01:51 AM
Same problem with .32 version which just auto updated from Google play store. I'm now locked in a confirm privileges loop and can't get app to install. I really don't want to lose podcasts and playlist.

This should really have been addressed before pushing the update to Google play!

Tried revoking the storage permission in OS app management. App start gives standard Android allow/deny popup. Grant access and still beyondpod stuck in that page. So has storage permissions but still stuck in loop

And I can't install a previous version over the failing 32 so it looks like I'm completely stuck for now. Oneplus5T with latest 8.1 stock firmware.

KimW
05-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Same problem with .32 version which just auto updated from Google play store. I'm now locked in a confirm privileges loop and can't get app to install. I really don't want to lose podcasts and playlist.

This should really have been addressed before pushing the update to Google play!

Tried revoking the storage permission in OS app management. App start gives standard Android allow/deny popup. Grant access and still beyondpod stuck in that page. So has storage permissions but still stuck in loop

And I can't install a previous version over the failing 32 so it looks like I'm completely stuck for now. Oneplus5T with latest 8.1 stock firmware.

The developers did make a fix for the install not completing (or we thought). It was tested on multiple devices and there were no issues completing install like we had in 4.2.31 but it seems for some users this issue still exists.

They are working on getting a fix out. You can revert back to previous version of BETA if you'd like http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/betachanges.htm

BatterBits
05-08-2018, 10:03 AM
FWIW - I too had the incessant loop asking for me to allow permissions. What I didn't get, was the box pop up asking me to confirm allow access....

For other users -
Wary about the previous problem and how long it took to fix, I decided to "leave" the beta in the play store, then uninstalled the app (but not the license key) and then reinstalled the app from the play store. It installed version .30 - flawlessly - with all my playlists and recordings intact.

I think it _may_ have downloaded a couple of episodes I've listened to recently - better that than missing some.

Mart1nS
05-08-2018, 11:12 AM
The developers did make a fix for the install not completing (or we thought). It was tested on multiple devices and there were no issues completing install like we had in 4.2.31 but it seems for some users this issue still exists.

They are working on getting a fix out. You can revert back to previous version of BETA if you'd like http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/betachanges.htm

Unfortunately reverting to previous versions isn't working for me

.31 gives same issue.
Anything before .31 simply fails to install with a non specific "App not installed" error. So I'm guessing the debug signatures don't match or something.

Hopefully .33 will have a fix to get rid of the pesky popup.

DrR0Ck
05-09-2018, 12:36 PM
FYI, I'm on a Galaxy S8. Can provide OS version information if it helps. What I noticed was that if I removed the storage permission from Beyondpod, then when I would get prompted to allow permission, I would see a "Don't ask again" checkbox - Unfortunately, selecting "Don't ask again" would cause the "Allow" button to be greyed out and unselectable, forcing me to choose "Allow" without selecting "Don't ask again." Perhaps this is something to do with why it gets stuck in the loop.

Mart1nS
05-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I'm happy to test an unreleased debug version if you want to send me a download link as it's still happening on my OnePlus.

Btw. Trying to revert to a previous version doesn't work. The install simply fails, no error message.

KimW
05-09-2018, 02:13 PM
I'm happy to test an unreleased debug version if you want to send me a download link as it's still happening on my OnePlus.

Btw. Trying to revert to a previous version doesn't work. The install simply fails, no error message.

There is no debug version to test at this moment but when I am given one I can pass it along to you and few others to test as well.

Mart1nS
05-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Any sign of a fix for this yet?

KimW
05-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Any sign of a fix for this yet?

The developers are still working to pinpoint the cause of this. Only some users are having this issue while others are not. Have you tried 4.2.32?

Mart1nS
05-14-2018, 01:17 PM
This is on 4.2.32. The version published to the beta play store.

Is there any way I can go back to an earlier beta or to the non-beta version without losing my podcasts (the bbc ones downloaded are no longer available to redownload). Not losing my playlist would be a bonus.

If the devs produce a version with debug logging enabled I'm happy to try it and send the logs back.

KimW
05-14-2018, 03:14 PM
This is on 4.2.32. The version published to the beta play store.

Is there any way I can go back to an earlier beta or to the non-beta version without losing my podcasts (the bbc ones downloaded are no longer available to redownload). Not losing my playlist would be a bonus.

If the devs produce a version with debug logging enabled I'm happy to try it and send the logs back.

You can find previous beta version by visiting http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/betachanges.htm

Mart1nS
05-14-2018, 03:28 PM
You can find previous beta version by visiting http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/betachanges.htm

Unfortunately attempting to install any other version just fails with App not Installed.

Mart1nS
05-14-2018, 03:30 PM

Attempting to install any other version fails with a simple app not installed error msg

KimW
05-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Attempting to install any other version fails with a simple app not installed error msg

Hmm. Have you tried uninstalling your current BP app and then using the link below to download and install a previous version?

Mart1nS
05-16-2018, 03:43 PM
If I uninstall won't it remove the podcasts.
Should I
Back up podcast folder to pc first, export the feeds, uninstall then restore podcasts and reinstall and restore feeds?

Mart1nS
05-16-2018, 05:35 PM
Uninstalled .32 via PlayStore. Installed .30 beta from previous version download page, kept all podcasts and playlist.

Interestingly it also popped up the same requires privilege page, but allow worked fine, so whatever has changed on that allow button click between 30 and 32 has broken it.

Tungsten_terror
05-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Where exactly is the file I need to delete to get the installation completed?!

Mart1nS
05-16-2018, 06:31 PM
I deleted the app itself using standard uninstall option from PlayStore. It didn't delete the podcast data folder or playlist.

DrR0Ck
06-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Any update?

KimW
06-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Any update?

Unfortunately, I do not have an update from development yet of when they expect to release a new version.

DrR0Ck
08-02-2018, 09:06 AM
I know a few beta versions have been released. Has the permissions issue been addressed?

KimW
08-02-2018, 12:08 PM
I know a few beta versions have been released. Has the permissions issue been addressed?

The permission issue has been addressed in every beta version. Unfortunately, only some users have issues with the permission loop and others do not. I have not had reports of any issues with v4.2.34 as of now though.

DrR0Ck
08-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Thank you. I will install .34 and let you know if it resolves the issue for me.

EDIT: Looks like that version did the trick, where .33 was still causing problems. Thanks!

patsiggers
08-13-2019, 12:07 AM
the newest version I checked on apknite website is 4.2.41. Maybe it changed a little bit.