PDA

View Full Version : "This episode can't be played remotely!"

Kchrpm
05-05-2018, 11:28 AM
I used to Cast podcasts regularly, but in the last few weeks or so I've been getting the error "This episode can't be played remotely!" almost every time. It's a number of different podcasts, almost all added through my Feedly subscription, all that I've streamed countless times prior. I can open Feedly, go to the entry for the episode, and confirm that the media it looks to is valid.

For example, this podcast will not Cast, but the media linked in it works: https://art19.com/shows/how-did-this-get-made/episodes/1c4c52c4-076f-46fc-95b9-629ab6996440

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions on fixes?

KimW
05-07-2018, 10:00 AM
I used to Cast podcasts regularly, but in the last few weeks or so I've been getting the error "This episode can't be played remotely!" almost every time. It's a number of different podcasts, almost all added through my Feedly subscription, all that I've streamed countless times prior. I can open Feedly, go to the entry for the episode, and confirm that the media it looks to is valid.

For example, this podcast will not Cast, but the media linked in it works: https://art19.com/shows/how-did-this-get-made/episodes/1c4c52c4-076f-46fc-95b9-629ab6996440

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions on fixes?

Hello, what version of BeyondPod are you using?

Kchrpm
05-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Hello, what version of BeyondPod are you using?
4.2.30 on a Google Pixel XL.

KimW
05-07-2018, 10:14 AM
4.2.30 on a Google Pixel XL.

Okay, this issue was reported in v4.2.30 and the developers pushed out a fix in a new BETA version 4.2.32 available by visiting http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/.

wickedbp
05-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Okay, this issue was reported in v4.2.30 and the developers pushed out a fix in a new BETA version 4.2.32 available by visiting http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/.

Still having the exact same issue after update. Cleared app cache also.

KimW
05-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Still having the exact same issue after update. Cleared app cache also.

I have PMed you for more information.

howesym
05-14-2018, 03:30 PM
I am having the same issue too. Cannot cast podcasts anymore :(

MarkB
05-15-2018, 06:47 AM
I started having this issue with some podcasts about a week ago. It now happens to every one of them. Similar to others, podcasts are downloaded through auto feed. I had the problem on 4.2.30, upgraded to Beta and no improvement. Google Pixel 2 user.

KimW
05-15-2018, 09:57 AM
We have collected information from some user with this issue and development is looking into why some have issues casting and others do not.

dl248
05-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Also experiencing the same issue. Google Pixel (1). Non beta. BeyondPod version 4.2.30.

Duke9700
05-16-2018, 02:22 PM
I have also been experiencing this on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I have found a workaround when BP won't let you cast. If you click your phone's Recent Apps button and click the X to close BeyondPod when you go back into BP it will now let you cast. At least that's been working for me on v4.2.32.

I find Chromecast seems to stop working if I used the app earlier in the day and then come back later. I'm assuming something related to BP or Chromecast is probably being put to sleep or closed by the system to save resources. Just a guess - once I figured out I could quit and go back in I stopped losing too much sleep over it!

Prescient
05-18-2018, 10:28 AM
I've also been experiencing this for the past 3 or so weeks. It first started with the non-beta app then I switched to the beta version and it didn't fix anything. Killing the app doesn't fix it for me.

phalkon30
05-18-2018, 01:51 PM
As a workaround, you can try casting your entire system audio. From the Google Home app pull out the menu and tap "Cast screen/audio".

This will use more battery, but it should work.

The developers should still fix it, this is just a quick workaround for those having issues.

AndreasNYC
05-23-2018, 10:40 AM
We have collected information from some user with this issue and development is looking into why some have issues casting and others do not.

I have been having this issue on my S9+ as well. For me it seems to have started happening right when I switched to having BeyondPod data on my new SD card, but it could be that it was going to happen anyway. Let me know if I can contribute logs, settings, etc. as this is very very frustrating to me and is greatly limiting BeyondPod's value. I've been a loyal paid BeyondPod user for years and I usually cast daily, but now can not!

BTW - Please bump up work on keeping SD card support! Aside from any hard limitations from Android OS, there are really no reasons that BeyondPod should not support having episodes on a SD card. For me, I subscribe to many many podcasts and a fair number of them have video so keeping them on my SD card is basically a necessity instead of what's left of my S9+'s 64 GB internal (vs. my 256 GB SD card space).

Thanks!
Andreas

defaria
06-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Today I cast a podcast to my Google Home speaker (and a Google Mini and a Chromecast audio all at the same time). It worked fine. Then it got to the next podcast episode and stopped. Examining BeyondPod I got the same message. All I could think is "Huh? You were just working!". Why would that happen???

KimW
07-06-2018, 12:36 PM
A new BETA version has been released (not yet to playstore though) v4.2.33. Chromecast seems to working on our end with this version. Please let me know if you are still having issues casting.

bramblepark
08-02-2018, 01:39 PM
I'm using v4.2.34 on an Android 7.0 phone. It consistently has trouble connecting with my Nexus Player. I also have been getting the "cannot play this file remotely" on several podcasts I follow.

bramblepark
08-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Yes, this is a good workaround. I wonder if BeyondPod might be willing to create a dedicated TV app for Chrome devices.

KevinH
10-07-2018, 04:34 AM
I have been having this issue on my S7 Edge. Like some it was only some but now appears to be most if not all podcasts. I have found that deleting and redownloading the episode sorted it out as a work around.

KevinH
10-17-2018, 05:55 AM
I have been having this issue on my S7 Edge. Like some it was only some but now appears to be most if not all podcasts. I have found that deleting and redownloading the episode sorted it out as a work around.

I have noticed that some episodes don't download the full description and details and lists as the series name followed by a number.

These episodes always cannot be casted. Again deleted and redownloaded which works.

KimW
10-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Development is currently in the process of moving BP to Google's new Cast V3 Framework, which renders all of our existing Chromecast code obsolete. As such, we are removing ALL of our Chromecast code from BP and implementing the new framework. We anticipate that this will be released in v4.2.42 (.41 will be nothing but bug fixes, and .42 will be strictly for Cast V3.

phalkon30
10-17-2018, 12:06 PM
That's good news!