PDA

View Full Version : What is being done? Is anything being worked on?

Dorky_D
02-13-2019, 07:49 AM
So, I have seen numerous threads on pausing, Android Auto, staying awake, updates not happening and stuff. This stuff has been happening since October. I would really like to know if anyone is working on this stuff. I see very little, and if you look at the reviews on the Play Store, you can see the bad reviews are piling up there as well. Is anything happening on developing fixes for these issues? I am getting a little tired of the bugs and I am seriously thinking of changing, but the pain and suffering to do so is a little big, and Beyond Pod has been great (a few hiccups here and there) until mid last year. Is there hope on the horizon, or has the development halted and you get what you get?

Thanks!

KimW
02-13-2019, 08:36 AM
So, I have seen numerous threads on pausing, Android Auto, staying awake, updates not happening and stuff. This stuff has been happening since October. I would really like to know if anyone is working on this stuff. I see very little, and if you look at the reviews on the Play Store, you can see the bad reviews are piling up there as well. Is anything happening on developing fixes for these issues? I am getting a little tired of the bugs and I am seriously thinking of changing, but the pain and suffering to do so is a little big, and Beyond Pod has been great (a few hiccups here and there) until mid last year. Is there hope on the horizon, or has the development halted and you get what you get?

Thanks!

Hello,

I understand your frustration completely. It has been a while that these bugs have been present, and we are aware of the bad feedback for the app. Development is still working on bug fixes, it's just moving slowly unfortunately. They are working on two big core issues that need to be taken care of for the app to be up to date with Google standards, as well as the in-app bugs themselves. I do not have an ETA on when to expect a new release with the fixes included at this time, but when I do get that information from development, I will share it in the forum.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the delays, I share your frustration too, but they are still working on this app.

Dorky_D
02-18-2019, 12:45 PM
OK, thanks for the update.

couplands
03-12-2019, 04:08 AM
I have used BeyondPod for years and im very used to it and like it very much. But its currently very unstable and I've started to test out Podcast Addict. So far it's stable and works well. I just need to get used to its way of working with feeds/categories etc. Early days but it looks promising.

TinCanFury
03-17-2019, 09:25 AM
I have used BeyondPod for years and im very used to it and like it very much. But its currently very unstable and I've started to test out Podcast Addict. So far it's stable and works well. I just need to get used to its way of working with feeds/categories etc. Early days but it looks promising.

I did the same with PocketCast, but the feeds/categories thing also annoyed me in that app.

phalkon30
03-18-2019, 08:11 AM
I did the same with PocketCast, but the feeds/categories thing also annoyed me in that app.

Yeah it's unfortunate, Pockect Casts is so smooth and bug free, but setting up feeds and categories felt really alien to me at first. Once it's set up though, it's completely replaced BP for podcast playing for me.

TinCanFury
03-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Yeah it's unfortunate, Pockect Casts is so smooth and bug free, but setting up feeds and categories felt really alien to me at first. Once it's set up though, it's completely replaced BP for podcast playing for me.

were you able to mimic how BP does categories? I was never able to find a writeup on how it's filters work and kind of gave up, but if you've found you can mimic the categories paradigm I'm going to give it another go. I just can't justify continuing to use BP with Sync now broken and never good to begin with.

phalkon30
03-18-2019, 09:56 AM
were you able to mimic how BP does categories? I was never able to find a writeup on how it's filters work and kind of gave up, but if you've found you can mimic the categories paradigm I'm going to give it another go. I just can't justify continuing to use BP with Sync now broken and never good to begin with.

I think so, keep in mind PC just updated the UI so it's a bit different if you haven't used it recently. I create a filter, then at the top there are little "pills" one of which says "all your podcasts". Hit that, then select which podcasts to include in the filter. You can also set if you want things like unplayed/in progress/played, if downloaded or not, video vs audio, etc. From the filter 3 dot menu you can also set if you want it to auto download too, which only happens on

couplands
04-07-2019, 01:45 AM
Any updates on BeyondPod development or has it all stopped...?

KimW
04-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Any updates on BeyondPod development or has it all stopped...?

Unfortunately, I do not have an estimated date yet from development of when to expect the next release; but they are currently working on/testing bug fixes.

Semmy7
04-10-2019, 02:33 AM
It is sad that we don't know nothing about next release.
Perhaps the developers need some help with the bugfix? I am sure there are people here who could help or suggest something.
I don't want to switch podcast app, but it’s impossible to live with the current version...

Marc
04-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Its now been 6+ months since the last updates, and many features have been broken throughout this entire time. We keep being told fixes are coming, but there's no evidence of this. It's starting to seem like BP support is officially dead.

It's really sad to see what's become of BP. I used to always praise BP to others as being vastly superior to other podcast apps. Now, BP has been in a partially broken state for the last year and a half. Really hope fixes continue to be made and BP can return to its old glory.

BubiBalboa
04-17-2019, 01:37 PM
You have to understand. There is a highly skilled team of developers working around the clock to fix these bugs. They totally exist and just need a little bit more time.

couplands
04-17-2019, 05:02 PM
You have to understand. There is a highly skilled team of developers working around the clock to fix these bugs. They totally exist and just need a little bit more time.

Indeed, I can hear them working away...🤪

I'd prefer if we were just told it's dead or it's a low priority project and we can just move on by (actually I have, PodcastAddict is working fine).

1tg1
04-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Why don't they charge a bit more - say $10/year, and start really working on it? I haven't found a good alternative yet, as I need virtual feeds from directories.

1tg1
04-21-2019, 07:55 PM
BTW is virtual feeds working in the latest version? I am using .18 still, the last version where it worked. Now my widget play button won't work on my S9 with the latest android version.

androidtv
04-22-2019, 04:35 PM
I often come in to see if there is any update, I see nothing, hopefully soon.

tp-link tl-wr740n (https://domainkeysforum.org/perifericos/router-tp-link-tl-wr740n/)

Mart1nS
05-03-2019, 01:45 AM
I understand that older apps with a single one-off payment may be difficult to justify spending the development time on. Maybe a yearly subscription fee would help to fund development. I'd be happy to pay the pro fee yearly to support the team.

I use BP daily, have a large playlist and just want to see stability in the app. I'm not after new features, I think the functionality is great.

Dennis Rockwell
05-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I'm with Mart1nS!

BubiBalboa
05-03-2019, 05:30 PM
I'm not opposed to a subscription of 5 bucks a year or something but new features would have to be part of the deal. There is some stuff missing from BP that most every Podcatcher can do these days, chapter support for example.

rossi
05-27-2019, 07:40 AM
So, I have seen numerous threads on pausing, Android Auto, staying awake, updates not happening and stuff. This stuff has been happening since October. I would really like to know if anyone is working on this stuff. I see very little, and if you look at the reviews on the Play Store, you can see the bad reviews are piling up there as well. Is anything happening on developing fixes for these issues? I am getting a little tired of the bugs and I am seriously thinking of changing, but the pain and suffering to do so is a little big, and Beyond Pod has been great (a few hiccups here and there) until mid last year. Is there hope on the horizon, or Tutuapp (https://tutuapp.uno/) 9apps (https://9apps.ooo/) Showbox (https://showbox.kim/) has the development halted and you get what you get?

Thanks!

Improvement is as yet chipping away at bug fixes, it's simply moving gradually sadly

blackiyto
09-29-2019, 08:02 PM
OK, thanks for the update.

__________________________________________________ _____
Dafont (https://appsync.biz/dafont/) Showbox (https://showbox.bio/) Adam4adam (https://www.oovoo.onl/adam4adam/)

KimW
09-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Hello,

We currently have a small group of users testing a beta build with fixes. Once any kinks are worked out, they will release to the public. Thank you.

Dorky_D
10-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the update

Dorky_D
10-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Any word on what these fixes are? Any beta like release notes?

AndreasNYC
10-07-2019, 09:36 AM
@KimW - when is the release happening?I paid and I'd be happy to pay more if it was doing everything that used to bug free and a little better and support it. When year will be the death knell so...

I probably should have switched already given the bugs and failures and not not responding when trying to when trying to play via Google Assistant.

Tangible news?
1) when will it be in the beta channel?
2) approximately when will it be released?
3) I'd say if by October 18 you haven't released it you should pronounce beloved BeyondPod dead after 1 year of no updates. I've much appreciated the many options the configurability of variable speed including variable speed per podcast and customizations of the long presses, etc. Time for a working Podcast Player... starting to try Podcast Addict, etc.

Andreas

Hello,

We currently have a small group of users testing a beta build with fixes. Once any kinks are worked out, they will release to the public. Thank you.

phalkon30
10-07-2019, 12:40 PM
http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/beta/

It's in beta channel already, use at your own risk.

AndreasNYC
10-07-2019, 01:02 PM
http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/beta/

It's in beta channel already, use at your own risk.

Thanks @phalkon30. I've been in the Beta for ?a year? and oddly only have 4.2.41 still. I'll try leaving the beta and the rejoining tomorrow to see if I get 4.2.42 or does it actually need to be side-loaded?

BubiBalboa
10-07-2019, 05:44 PM
It's not really ready for a public beta imo. The issues with the notifications are pretty annoying and will affect every user directly. Once that's fixed I'd push it to the public beta.

There's no need for arbitrary deadlines now that something is actually being done. I'm cautiously optimistic.

phalkon30
10-09-2019, 05:55 AM
It's not really ready for a public beta imo. The issues with the notifications are pretty annoying and will affect every user directly. Once that's fixed I'd push it to the public beta.

There's no need for arbitrary deadlines now that something is actually being done. I'm cautiously optimistic.

You're optimistic that after a year of "development" they don't have a beta that is ready for public testing?

I'm no longer using this app for podcasting so I won't try the beta, but curious if casting is fixed in the .42 beta? It's not mentioned in the changelog, I know it was a big feature missing.

Dorky_D
01-16-2020, 02:24 PM
You're optimistic that after a year of "development" they don't have a beta that is ready for public testing?

I'm no longer using this app for podcasting so I won't try the beta, but curious if casting is fixed in the .42 beta? It's not mentioned in the changelog, I know it was a big feature missing.

Now it has been 3 months since this announcement. Wow! It would be one thing if they said they were done, but they keep saying they are not. i guess, I really want to know why? Is it greener pastures, is it retirement, is it serving a jail sentence? What gives?

KimW
01-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Hello All,

I wanted to give the latest update to you all. We will not be releasing a BETA version today as we had hoped for. As mentioned in my previous statements in other threads, we were planning for end of January to release, but that was pending any hang-ups in testing. Unfortunately, there were some issues found in testing that just won't be fixed by end of today.

Good news is, a lot of bugs have been confirmed as fixed and are ready, however the Chrome-casting bug, although now working (yay!), there is some new behavior that is not quite perfect and we do not want to push a BETA version without fixing those as well. We are hoping that we can get everything completely working as it should by end of next week and that we do not run into any further hang-ups. The development team will continue to work as quick as possible, but not sacrifice a quality release.

Sorry for the additional delay. I know everyone has been waiting longer than they should have for a new, working update. We are so so close so just hang on tight a tiny bit longer. I will keep everyone updated with any new information I may get from the team. Thank you all for your continued patience.

Dorky_D
01-31-2020, 02:19 PM
Thank you for the update.

KevinH
02-06-2020, 07:10 AM
For me the pausing has gotten worse in the last few weeks in particular. It happens when playing through bluetooth headphones, speaker and Android Auto but not when playing through the phone's own speaker. I always download episodes, I have pause on notification setting turned off and have added BP to Apps that won't be put to sleep in power management settings.

KimW
02-27-2020, 02:22 PM
BETA version 4.3.0 is now available on our BETA Channel.

Semmy7
02-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Click on widget play after reboot or long sleep (beyondpod not battery optimized):

28/02/2020 17:53:48: MediaPlaybackJobIntent (4.3.0) - MediaPlaybackJobIntent - is taking too long to load! Giving Up!
28/02/2020 18:16:39: MediaPlaybackJobIntent (4.3.0) - MediaPlaybackJobIntent - is taking too long to load! Giving Up!
28/02/2020 19:08:26: MediaPlaybackJobIntent (4.3.0) - MediaPlaybackJobIntent - is taking too long to load! Giving Up!