PDA

View Full Version : Streamed episodes always start from the beginning

dlynch
01-31-2013, 01:54 PM
This isn't specific to Cross Device Syncing -- either the feature or the BP version -- but syncing makes it more annoying.

With a bunch of shared configuration, I can move pretty smoothly from day to night: during the day I'm listening on my phone to the smart playlist that contains mainly downloaded episodes. When I get home and want to continue listening on a different device, I tell BP to Start SmartPlay and it makes a new list without any of the episodes I've already played, and even with the right green bar positions of episodes I partially listened to.

I have the home device set to stream everything -- no point in downloading a bunch of episodes I will probably listen to on some other device!

If I've listened to part of a long episode (Fresh Air, for example) the green bar shows that progress correctly, but BP starts playing the streamed episode from the beginning. Boo!

(In the past, before all this fancy syncing stuff, BP has sometimes started playing downloaded episodes from the beginning, but I've never been able to figure out how to reliably make it do that. This is different: streamed episodes appear to start from the beginning every time.)

On a related note, the 30 seconds or so it takes to start a streamed episode is unfortunate. It would be really slick if BP when on WiFi "fetched ahead" an hour (or two, or a half hour) of "streamed" episodes. Of course you could defeat that by not letting the playlist play in order. But for some uses (like my typical pattern) this would not only eliminate the big pause between episodes, it would also eliminate any need to think about downloaded episodes at all.

dlynch
02-07-2013, 12:41 AM
This forum clearly is magical.

Since I posted that "never works" message, my xoom has done the right thing every single time.

I guess that's good news :-)

juwlz
02-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Miracles take a little longer ;)

Whether you can pick up in the middle of a podcast when streaming depends on the server configuration on the podcast's host, and its interaction with the Android player. The only method BeyondPod has available to us to pre-fetch is simply to download an episode. BeyondPod doesn't control the streaming or buffering. That's all handled by the built in player.

You can, of course, set Sync to delete episodes that have been played on other devices, although that does mean that you will download some of them and throw them away because you've listened to them on another device. Of course, that's only really an issue if you have a limit on your broadband data allowance.

The only other alternative I can think of is to use the menu option to Download All in Playlist when you're about to use the home device, which you'll find in the player view, or to long press a specific episode and choose download.

Julie

LordDeath
02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Due to the limited storage on my Galaxy Nexus I decided to switch from downloading podcasts to streaming podcasts. I can confirm that sometimes resuming an episode does not work and instead it starts the playback from the beginning. This happens completely random and sometimes resuming the playback of an episode works, while later the same episode will start playback from beginning.
A little more off-topic, but related: BeyondPod should keep the already downloaded streaming buffer a little longer. Pausing playback, opening another app and going back to BeyondPod often results in a new buffering of the current episode.

Therefore currently streaming episodes is much less comfortable than downloading them.

Dennis Rockwell
02-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Due to the limited storage on my Galaxy Nexus I decided to switch from downloading podcasts to streaming podcasts.Don't forget that you can limit the download to one episode per feed, if that would help enough to be of any use.

juwlz
02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
I can confirm that sometimes resuming an episode does not work and instead it starts the playback from the beginning. This happens completely random and sometimes resuming the playback of an episode works, while later the same episode will start playback from beginning.
As mentioned above (http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showthread.php?982-Streamed-episodes-always-start-from-the-beginning&p=3547&viewfull=1#post3547), whether or not the streaming resumes in the right place is beyond BeyondPod's control. It sends a request to the Media Player to start at a particular point. The media player requests the episode from the website and asks to start at that point, but the website may or may not be able to comply.

A little more off-topic, but related: BeyondPod should keep the already downloaded streaming buffer a little longer. Pausing playback, opening another app and going back to BeyondPod often results in a new buffering of the current episode.
BeyondPod is also (as per the same post) not in control of the buffer - the built in Android player (or your external player, if you use one) does all that. If it gets kicked out of memory, the buffer will be lost.

If enough people are interested, the only thing that I can think of that BeyondPod realistically could do to overcome either of these issues would be to have another pair of feed settings (one for Newest Episodes, and one for Episodes in Order) to "download-on-demand" the currently-playing episode (and perhaps the next one in the playlist), subject to whatever restrictions you have set up re streaming* over 3G (or 4G) / WiFi, of course.

In the meantime, BP does have an option in the Player menu to download all on Playlist, which should keep the amount of local storage required to a minimum - if you combine it with any deletion routine (e.g. use Delete and Play Next / Do nothing in After Played, or use Episode Cleanup to manually delete all played episodes).

Julie

* Streaming, rather than Downloading rules, because you're effectively advance-buffering the stream.