Thread: How to delete an Episode

How to delete an Episode

On the FAQ page (http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/he...eleteItems.htm) it says: To delete a Feed or Episode - long press (tap and hold) on it and select "Delete" from the menu.

Long pressing on an episode gives me these 3 options:
    (1) Play in External Player
    (2) Share Episode
    (3) Episode Details

So FAQ appears to be wrong, I've tried all sorts of things. On one of my feeds I don't get the read/unread circle on bottom right of episode on all of the items, does that imply corruption (+ bug) of some type? They all appear in "Unread Only" view.

If it matters these are all podcast and pressing the trashcan icon does delete the actual podcast file but a second press doesn't delete the episode.

I have the latest market versions of app + licence. I'm on Nexus 4 with Android 4.2.1

Thanks for any help.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    The options you mention are correct when an episode does not exist on your device (i.e. you haven't downloaded it yet, or you have already deleted it). Deleting an episode (i.e. the file) does not (and cannot) also delete information about the episode, which is contained in the feed and can only be deleted by the feed publisher. However, you can hide that information using the filter in the bottom left corner of the screen in the expanded Feed view. If the filter is set to All Items or Unread Only, the information will be shown whether or not the actual episode exists on your device or not (although, of course, Unread Only will only show information about items you haven't yet listened to).

To hide information about episodes you have deleted, set the filter to "Downloaded" or "My Episodes". (For those people who have feeds set to stream episodes rather than download them, "My Episodes" will also include episodes which will be streamed. If your feeds are all set to download rather than stream, "Downloaded" and "My Episodes" will both show you information about the same episodes - those that physically exist on your device.)

As to the Read/Unread circle, I suspect that you may be looking at that particular feed in the Episode view, rather than the expanded Feed view (i.e. swiping to the right, or tapping the musical note icon, rather than tapping the feed description).

HTH
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    P.S. There are lots of other ways to delete episodes too. One is to set the player to automatically delete after playing (Menu | More.. | Settings | Player Settings | After playing). NB: Locking an episode or setting the feed to not to allow episode deletions will prevent this auto-deletion for those episodes you want to keep.

Alternatively, the Episode view has both Delete all Played and Episode Cleanup options on the menu, which allow you to mass-delete episodes (selectively, in the case of Episode Cleanup).

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I'd like to manually clean up the technical/health podcasts I listen to (I do know of the automatic settings).

Just to clarify:

When in the "All Feeds" view, I'm seeing the podcast I'm having issues with, I click it to open the list of episodes. I then have many episodes:

* Highlighted as unread (so can't be filtered out, "My Episodes" and "Unread Only" both show them))
    * Without a read/unread circle (other items in this view have this icon)
    * A trashcan icon
    * Green text "((stream))" on date/time line, and "Download" (not "re-download")

I've just noticed it says "ARCHIVED EPISODES" above these... I searched for "archived" didn't get me very far.

Screenshot_2013-02-10-09-02-39.jpg
    Last edited by dbareis; 02-09-2013 at 05:55 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    "Archived" items might more accurately be described as "Orphaned" items. They are items which BeyondPod knows about locally, but which are no longer linked to a podcast feed. This could be because the publisher changed something about the information for that particular episode which makes BeyondPod think it's a different episode (most likely if the feed is set to detect duplicates using Post Title, Link and Publish date, rather than the more recently available Post GUID, and the publisher changes something in one of these fields; or if the publisher only keep links to a limited number of recent episodes, and the episodes you see are older than that).

Because these episodes are no longer linked to the feed, there is no read/unread icon (because that's part of the feed information), and they will be available to Download, not ReDownload because, as an orphan, BP doesn't think you've already downloaded it (even though you as a human can recognise it as an episode that you may have already downloaded with slightly different information in the Title/Link/Publish date information in the feed - which is information you don't necessarily see). BeyondPod treats them as Unread because the assumption is that you'll want to listen to them (or at least be able to see them to delete them).

You should still be able to use Episode Cleanup from the Menu in the Episode view to mark and delete the episodes you no longer want, including the archived ones. To get to Episode view for a specific feed, tap the musical note icon in the Feed list. Or use the trashcan icon to delete them individually.

You can also minimise the chances of getting orphaned/archived episodes by editing the Feed settings to use Post GUID if it's available for the feed (set Duplicate Episode Detection to Automatic, and BeyondPod will set it to Post GUID for you if the feed supports it). Episode detection is in More Settings for the Feed. Note that if you change the detection method, BeyondPod will think everything is new (because it has no record of what you've done with the episodes using the new method), so as a one-off exercise, you'll need to mark old episodes in that feed as read again.

If you want to, it is possible to tell BeyondPod to throw away episodes that the feed no longer links to by deselecting "Retain Missing Episodes" in the Advanced Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings), so that you won't get Orphaned / Archived episodes in future - but note that this means that you may miss episodes if you don't keep up to date and the publisher of any of your feeds only keeps a small number of recent episodes in the feed (e.g. for a number of BBC podcasts, which are only available for a week after radio transmission, for legal reasons).

HTH
    Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 02-11-2013 at 03:38 AM.