Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built in DLNA Server to allow direct streaming of podcasts to home network

Built in DLNA Server to allow direct streaming of podcasts to home network

I have beyondpod installed on my phone, where every evening it downloads a selection of my favourite BBC and internet Radio shows which I listen to when out and about (via headphones) or in my car (via an in car audio dock). When I get home, if there is a particular show on my phone that I want to listen to, there is currently no easy way of doing so.

It would be cool if there were a feature whereby podcasts could be played using the 'external player' option, but instead of using a player on the phone, would stream to any DLNA compliant device on the local wifi network. That way I could select a show I want to listen to and select to have it play on my home TV or on my home theatre / radio.

At the moment, I would have to copy the file to a USB stick, and directly plug that into the networked device in order to play it back, not a great solution.

Regards

Keith

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I'm not sure how much work would be involved in implementing this.

In the meantime, you could, of course plug your phone's headset socket into your HiFi, or for a solution that allows you to still use the phone, use any bluetooth headset that allows you to plug in your own headphones, and plug your home HiFi into the headset socket for that.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    In addition to what Julie suggested you can do this with an app such as BubbleUPnP. Then select BubbleUPnP (or similar app) as your external player.

Quote Originally Posted by keithdw View Post
    I have beyondpod installed on my phone, where every evening it downloads a selection of my favourite BBC and internet Radio shows which I listen to when out and about (via headphones) or in my car (via an in car audio dock). When I get home, if there is a particular show on my phone that I want to listen to, there is currently no easy way of doing so.

It would be cool if there were a feature whereby podcasts could be played using the 'external player' option, but instead of using a player on the phone, would stream to any DLNA compliant device on the local wifi network. That way I could select a show I want to listen to and select to have it play on my home TV or on my home theatre / radio.

At the moment, I would have to copy the file to a USB stick, and directly plug that into the networked device in order to play it back, not a great solution.

Regards

Keith

BeyondPod Team
    I'm afraid that building DLNA into BP would be a big job, but you can either choose a DLNA app (e.g. Twonky) as an external player in the settings, or use Android's built in sharing to play a particular episode in an external player, and choose your DLNA app for that.

Julie

I am also a big fan of DLNA, but I think it would be a major development distraction for this application. I would draw attention to the "Share Podcasts" setting in the "Playlist and Widget Settings" section. If you check this, then all of the downloaded podcasts become available to any app on the device that reads the built in Android 'music library'. Most of the Android DLNA apps that I have tested can then pick up the locally stored content and stream it to a rendering device. This will not work for podcasts that are set for streaming rather than download -- but I think that would be a bit much to ask on a mobile device anyway (download/stream from source on internet and simultaneously stream to another device on local wifi network).

BeyondPod Team
    Well said zachofalltrades. One of the strengths of Android is the built-in ability to allow applications to collaborate via sharing and intents, which means that as long as you have an app which can send something to play, and another that can received something to be played (in this example), neither app needs to incorporate the functionality of the other (and doesn't even need specific knowledge of the other app).

Julie

Question requirements and implementations

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Well said zachofalltrades. One of the strengths of Android is the built-in ability to allow applications to collaborate via sharing and intents, which means that as long as you have an app which can send something to play, and another that can received something to be played (in this example), neither app needs to incorporate the functionality of the other (and doesn't even need specific knowledge of the other app).

Julie
    Hi!
    It may be, that i misunderstand what you are saying. In that case i apologize.
    I share keithdw's whish for a feature that enables me to direct a podcast (it is ok for me if i have to download it first) to one of my dlna- players, for playback. (I have a SONOS system, so they are everywhere in my house)
    If that is implemented in BeyoundPod, by calling/ posting to another service/server, that is fine by me.
    I would be willing to install this service/server on a PC or on my android- device that i installed my PeyondPod- app on. (HTC One+)
    The point is that i want to be able to open BeyondPod, select the podcast i want to listen to, select the device i want to play it on, and start playback.
    If there is a way of doing this, please spell it out for me, ore point me to the detailed explanation of how this is done.

Otherwise, BeyoundPod rules!!!
    Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    As mentioned above, first, you need to install a DLNA app of your choice from the play store. You need to set up the DLNA app to stream to whichever DLNA player you want to use (how this is done will depend on the app you choose, and you may not need to do it until after you've selected something to play).

Then, as you've requested, select the podcast you want to play in BeyondPod, and choose Play in External Player. If you haven't already selected a default external player, BP will ask you what you want to use, and you choose your DLNA app.

Julie

Hi Julie,
    Thank you for answering so quickly.
    I have followed your instructions, and installed BubbleUpnP on my Htc.
    I can see all my Sonos- Dlna- players on it, but i have not yet figured out how i can select "Play in External Player" from BeyondPod after selecting the podcast i want to listen too. It starts playing on my HTC.
    What am i missing?
    Thank you.
    /dsper.

BeyondPod Team
    In the Episode or Feed view, long press, and choose Play in External Player from the pop-up menu.

Julie