Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Podcasts showing up in Google Music

Quote Originally Posted by JNavas View Post
    With respect, this is a problem of using the media scanner for a purpose that was not intended and defined, not any sort of failure by Google.
    Um, Google Music shows podcasts in a folder outside of the Music folder in the Music app. They're not music. That's proper? What if I don't want podcasts in my Music app? Can't disable it!

Also, why is every picture on the SD card (or internal memory) showing in the Gallery app? Does showing album art from your Music folder make sense there? Wouldn't it be a good idea to disable this or filter things out?

This is absolutely a failing of Google's, because the behavior does not make sense and I have no control over it other than downloading an app to go through the file system (since they have no app to do this like Blackberry does) or hook it up to a computer through USB and add these stupid .nomedia files to each folder you don't want Android media to scan.

The problem isn't that we're trying to use it in a way that it wasn't intended, it's that the way it is intended doesn't make sense to the average user, is a hindrance, and they give us no option to customize it. That's what this thread is all about.

This took some searching but I seem to have been able to find a fix for the same problem that people have been experiencing here...

After trying all combinations of the settings that apply the .nomedia file to the BeyondPod folder / reboot cycles / clearing Google Music's cache data and getting no success, I found a post on droidforums.net that said to try the following.... AND IT WORKED! (for me at least)

Assuming that you have followed the steps to configure BeyondPod to hide content from other media players on the phone.. if not these are the setting I have adjusted:
    Settings | Playlist and Widget Settings | Episodes Visible in Music Play.. [unchecked]
    Settings | Advanced Settings | Rescan Media Database [checked]
    Settings | Advanced Settings | Patch Meda Scanner [checked]

...then move onto these steps to clear up the phones media indexer

1: Goto Settings | Apps
    2: Scroll across to ALL and then scroll down to Media Storage
    3: Click Force Stop and then Clear Data
    4: Reboot the phone

When the phone restarts, the media storage background application will re-scan the phones storage for all media files but this time seems to adhere to the .nomedia specification. Depending on how much media you have store locally on your device will affect how long it take for the scan to complete, so once you've started the reboot cycle, go have a cuppa and then check the status of that media Google Music can see. Hopefully you'll have success like I've had :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
    Um, Google Music shows podcasts in a folder outside of the Music folder in the Music app. They're not music. That's proper? What if I don't want podcasts in my Music app? Can't disable it!
    Also, why is every picture on the SD card (or internal memory) showing in the Gallery app? Does showing album art from your Music folder make sense there? Wouldn't it be a good idea to disable this or filter things out?
    This is absolutely a failing of Google's, because the behavior does not make sense and I have no control over it other than downloading an app to go through the file system (since they have no app to do this like Blackberry does) or hook it up to a computer through USB and add these stupid .nomedia files to each folder you don't want Android media to scan.
    The problem isn't that we're trying to use it in a way that it wasn't intended, it's that the way it is intended doesn't make sense to the average user, is a hindrance, and they give us no option to customize it. That's what this thread is all about.
    I respectfully disagree. There is a defined mechanism for exclusion from the official Player app, the .nomedia file, which works fine. The problem comes from using the media scanner in an unintended way (as Stefan has noted). If you don't like the Android architecture, then you should consider some other platform.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]