Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcasts showing up in Google Music

BeyondPod Team
    John,

Thank you for the logs. They did quickly show that the deletion of the record has failed. Here is what was in your log:

03-28 10:31:06.128 V/BeyondPod(15926): Media scan of '/mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3' completed!
    03-28 10:31:06.178 V/BeyondPod(15926): Deleted 0 records for /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3 from the Media Database

I ran the same test on my Nexus 4 and there it worked correctly:

03-28 14:33:21.734: V/BeyondPod(13439): Media scan of '/storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/Science Times/Science Times728587307.mp3' completed!
    03-28 14:33:37.170: V/BeyondPod(13439): Deleted 1 records for /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/Science Times/Science Times728587307.mp3 from the Media Database (1.95 s. since last trace)

I think the core issue is the path aliases that were introduced 4.2.2. While /mnt/sdcard is the same as /storage/emulated/0, Android media database seem to accept both but internally probably uses the new path "/storage/emulated/0". Most likely when BP tries to delete /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3 the record in the media database actually is /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3 and the delete operation fails.

It is a bit strange to why your device uses the "old" path "/mnt/sdcard/" and not the new one " /storage/emulated/0". Can you please post/send me your "environment info" (Advanced Settings > Menu > View Logs... > Environment Info).

For comparison, on my N4, the environment info looks like this:

• SD Card Root: /storage/emulated/0
    • Cached SD Card Root: /storage/emulated/0 (autodetect root, keep missing episodes)
    • External SD State: mounted
    • BP location on SD: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod, Exists: true
    • BP will use: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    John,
    Thank you for the logs. They did quickly show that the deletion of the record has failed. Here is what was in your log:
    03-28 10:31:06.128 V/BeyondPod(15926): Media scan of '/mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3' completed!
    03-28 10:31:06.178 V/BeyondPod(15926): Deleted 0 records for /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3 from the Media Database
    I ran the same test on my Nexus 4 and there it worked correctly:
    03-28 14:33:21.734: V/BeyondPod(13439): Media scan of '/storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/Science Times/Science Times728587307.mp3' completed!
    03-28 14:33:37.170: V/BeyondPod(13439): Deleted 1 records for /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/Science Times/Science Times728587307.mp3 from the Media Database (1.95 s. since last trace)
    I think the core issue is the path aliases that were introduced 4.2.2. While /mnt/sdcard is the same as /storage/emulated/0, Android media database seem to accept both but internally probably uses the new path "/storage/emulated/0". Most likely when BP tries to delete /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3 the record in the media database actually is /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/CounterSpin_1332249641408/CounterSpin186922194.mp3 and the delete operation fails.
    It is a bit strange to why your device uses the "old" path "/mnt/sdcard/" and not the new one " /storage/emulated/0". Can you please post/send me your "environment info" (Advanced Settings > Menu > View Logs... > Environment Info).
    For comparison, on my N4, the environment info looks like this:
    • Cached SD Card Root: /storage/emulated/0 (autodetect root, keep missing episodes)
    Stefan
    Mine is the same:
    DEVICE: LGE Nexus 4 (occam) with Android 4.2.2
    DEVICE STORAGE

Perhaps this particular podcast subscription has a different (old) path set?

The likely problem is that some paths have both read and write permissions (delete will work),
    whereas other paths have only read permission (delete will fail).
    • /storage/emulated/0/ probably has both read and write permission.
    • /mnt/sdcard/ probably has only read permission.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

Lightbulb

Since this problem on Android 4.2 seems to be the path of /mnt/sdcard instead of /storage/emulated/0
    I tried the following possible work-arounds in Advanced Settings:
    1. Check Lock to Current Path (/storage/emulated/0): no good, still get Deleted 0 records for /mnt/sdcard/ ...
    2. Set Episode Download Path to /storage/emulated/0: no good, still get Deleted 0 records for /mnt/sdcard/ ...
    So I'm thinking /mnt/sdcard must be stored internally from my installation having been upgraded from earlier versions of Android, and that the only possible work-around short of a (preferable) fix would be starting over with a fresh install of BP, not migrated, just importing feeds from OPML (and downloading all over again). ...

Update: Yep, fresh clean install of BP with OPML import solves the problem (now /storage/emulated/0 instead of /mnt/sdcard):

03-29 13:39:07.624 V/BeyondPod(27626): Deleted 1 records for /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/KCRWs Film Reviews/KCRWs Film Reviews698310079.mp3 from the Media Database (19 ms. since last trace) [MusicUtils]

Is this something you can fix quickly, so I can go back to my old saved installation thereby saving all the time and effort it will take to configure the fresh BP install, or will I need to stick with this fresh BP install? Thanks.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-29-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

I've reverted to my old installation.
    New beta 3.1.15 did not solve the problem.
    What did work was to delete a feed subscription, then subscribe it again, so the correct path is then used (confirming my theory), but I'd rather not have to do that to all of my many subscriptions.
    Will this be fixed soon, or will I have to solve it myself? Thanks.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-30-2013 at 12:52 PM.

I've been using BeyondPod for over three years and it is without a doubt the best podcast software on any mobile device. And I've had very little problems over the years that weren't simply small usability issues that usually were fixed in the next update.

However, since my VZW Galaxy Nexus was updated to Android 4.2.2 last weekend (3/23/13) I've also experienced new podcasts showing up in Google Music which is an organizational nightmare especially when a lot come up as "Unknown Artist" or the episodes aren't titled correctly and copy the cryptic filename. To no avail, I also tried the .nomedia in each directory as well as clearing the Data and Cache in Media Storage (big mistake because of the mess of sound settings that entails redoing). And reading here about uninstalling, reinstalling, and resubscribing to podcasts in addition to redoing all of their respective settings and re-categorizing just to reset some deeply embedded absolute directory path... well, I'm just not going to go through all of that trouble. Hopefully this will get fixed in an update in the near future.

Basically I just wanted to pipe in that you can chalk up another user experiencing this issue.
    Last edited by questrider; 04-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    I spent some time digging deeper into this issue. I came up with 2 workarounds that can be used together or independently of each other.

1. I posted a test BETA build 3.1.15.1 that should delete the media record regardless if the old or new path is used.
    2. Alternatively, you can update all internal paths to point to the new mounting point. I was not able to find a good solution that can be applied automatically as the logic to when and how to change the paths is a bit complicated - depends on the type of device, whether it has internal and/or external card and the version on Android. Good news is that BeyondPod already has logic to update all internal paths to the current OS "path" when it restores a backup. To manually update all paths, you can just do a backup and then immediately restore from this backup (backup and restore options are located are in: Menu > More > Settings > Backup and Restore).

Stefan

Solution #2 worked like a charm. Thank you!

I may have spoke too soon. Today one errant podcast out of four (a radio show that posts all four hours of a broadcast as four separate podcasts) showed up in Google Music. Hmmmmm...

However, five other podcasts from the same radio station but a different show downloaded and didn't show up in Google Music. Also, a Radiolab podcast downloaded automatically today but didn't show up in Google Music either. Hmmmmm...
    Last edited by questrider; 04-02-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    I spent some time digging deeper into this issue. I came up with 2 workarounds that can be used together or independently of each other.
    1. I posted a test BETA build 3.1.15.1 that should delete the media record regardless if the old or new path is used.
    2. Alternatively, you can update all internal paths to point to the new mounting point. I was not able to find a good solution that can be applied automatically as the logic to when and how to change the paths is a bit complicated - depends on the type of device, whether it has internal and/or external card and the version on Android. Good news is that BeyondPod already has logic to update all internal paths to the current OS "path" when it restores a backup. To manually update all paths, you can just do a backup and then immediately restore from this backup (backup and restore options are located are in: Menu > More > Settings > Backup and Restore).
    Stefan
    I confirm that method 1 (BETA build 3.1.15.1) works -- thank you.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by questrider View Post
    I may have spoke too soon. Today one errant podcast out of four (a radio show that posts all four hours of a broadcast as four separate podcasts) showed up in Google Music. Hmmmmm...
    However, five other podcasts from the same radio station but a different show downloaded and didn't show up in Google Music. Also, a Radiolab podcast downloaded automatically today but didn't show up in Google Music either. Hmmmmm...
    What does the Android log show?
    Hope that helps,
    John