Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts showing up in Google Music

Quote Originally Posted by JNavas View Post
    I confirm that method 1 (BETA build 3.1.15.1) works -- thank you.
    Spoke too soon. Although method 1 fix did work properly the first time I tried it, it did not work properly this time -- see below. In other words, fix is still needed. Log file sent by email. Thanks.
    BP: 3.1.15.1
    Device model: Nexus 4
    Android version: 4.2.2 (JDQ39)
    Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Last edited by JNavas; 04-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    I spent some time digging deeper into this issue. I came up with 2 workarounds that can be used together or independently of each other.

1. I posted a test BETA build 3.1.15.1 that should delete the media record regardless if the old or new path is used.
    2. Alternatively, you can update all internal paths to point to the new mounting point. I was not able to find a good solution that can be applied automatically as the logic to when and how to change the paths is a bit complicated - depends on the type of device, whether it has internal and/or external card and the version on Android. Good news is that BeyondPod already has logic to update all internal paths to the current OS "path" when it restores a backup. To manually update all paths, you can just do a backup and then immediately restore from this backup (backup and restore options are located are in: Menu > More > Settings > Backup and Restore).

Stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by questrider View Post
    Solution #2 worked like a charm. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by questrider View Post
    I may have spoke too soon. Today one errant podcast out of four (a radio show that posts all four hours of a broadcast as four separate podcasts) showed up in Google Music. Hmmmmm...

However, five other podcasts from the same radio station but a different show downloaded and didn't show up in Google Music. Also, a Radiolab podcast downloaded automatically today but didn't show up in Google Music either. Hmmmmm...
    Update: After three days and many podcast downloads during this time, none of them have shown up in Google Music. Solution #2 has thus far worked.

BP: 3.1.12
    Device model: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Android version: 4.2.2 (JDQ39)
    Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Last edited by questrider; 04-05-2013 at 05:09 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    Thank you for the feedback. Based on the second log file JNivas sent, it looks like ocassionally there is may be an issue with Android media scanner not notifying BeyondPod that it had completed the scan of the file (so BP never had a chance to delete it). My guess is that this is more of coincidence and in vast majority of cases the process works as intended. We have to see how often that issue occurs and if it happens often, we have to probably change the approach BP uses.

Good news is that at least on Android 4.1 there is now an officially supported alternative that allows us to interrogate episode metadata independently of the media database and we are planning to start using it overtime (at least on devices that support it). This should also help with album art and chapter support.

How can I add a .nomedia file? I connected to my Windows 7, tried to add both with Windows Explorer and with xplorer2 (much more powerful). But both complained that a file must have a filename - in other words, they see .nomedia as only a file type. In my phone I also have a few file managers, but they don't appear to be able to create files, only folders. Grrr.
    Do I need .nomedia in each podcast subdir? And I did check the advanced setting that is supposed to add .nomedia, but don't see that file anywhere.

Sorry you had to fight with Windows. You may have better luck with a native file manager. There are lots of them, so play around until you find one you like. Astro is popular, but doesn't offer root access which I need routinely.

I run CM10.1, and CM File Manager and Root Explorer can both create a file by that name, but CM File Manager doesn't list the file, or anything else that starts with a period. Windows apps generally don't show them, either, unless you tick the "show hidden files" checkbox.

If you have Terminal Emulator, you can use Unix command-line tools to create the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    Astro is popular, but doesn't offer root access which I need routinely.

I run CM10.1, and CM File Manager and Root Explorer can both create a file by that name, but CM File Manager doesn't list the file, or anything else that starts with a period. Windows apps generally don't show them, either, unless you tick the "show hidden files" checkbox.
    Do I need .nomedia file in each podcast subdir?
    Can someone tell me of file managers that enable me to create files? You mention Astro, but don't say if it can create files - I looked and don't see such an option.
    I also have x-plore, which looks geeky enough to be able to create empty files, but apparently cannot.
    I assume CM File Manager requires CM to be installed? I'm not willinng to run CM on my phone.
    I'll try terminal emulator - looks like it doesn't need root. Empty file OK? Therefore just touch .nomedia.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You shouldn't have to create a .nomedia file manually.

Unticking "Share Podcasts" in the Playlist and Widget Settings will create a .nomedia file in the BeyondPod folder for you (that's all it does). The only reason you would need to manually create one yourself on JellyBean is to add one to the different variants of the path to BeyondPod, as per this thread, but BeyondPod beta version 3.1.15 or higher, or the workaround in post #16 of this thread should fix the problem anyway (unless you're getting a different issue altogether, of course).

If you do need to manually add a .nomedia file for some reason, then you could copy the one that BeyondPod created for you when you unticked Share Podcasts.

Julie

You should only have to create .nomedia at the top of the tree you're hiding, but beware of symlinks. My /storage/sdcard1 has two symlinks pointing to it, so /storage/.nomedia isn't the answer.

Sorry, I don't have Astro installed, so I couldn't give an answer. I restored it from my backup, and it apparently can't create a simple file. It can rename something else to a .<something> (and not rename it back!), but that doesn't really help, does it?

I don't know if CM File Manager can run on a non-CM system, but I would be surprised if it failed; CM tries to be generic.

Yes, touch .nomedia is exactly right. Full marks!

At the risk of being repetitive, I am going to post what just now worked for me - this is a rollup of some other posts. I have Moto Razr Maxx with JB 4.1.2 (which I believe is what brought on the problem). These steps are essentially the instructions from Moto Xoom that are referenced in an earlier post in this thread.

1. Make sure BeyondPod/Settings/Playlist and Widget/Share Podcasts is turned off. This puts .nomedia file in root of the BeyondPod audio directories and tells the Media Storage manager (see next step) to ignore - do not index.
    2. System Settings/Apps/All. find Media Storage. Force Stop, then Clear Data.
    3. Reboot phone. I just powered down, did not do power off with reset (which is hold power and volume down simultaneously until phone powers off - handy to know, but apparently not needed here).
    4. Wait 5 to 10 minute for Media Storage to be rebuilt.

It worked!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dr_glenn View Post
    At the risk of being repetitive, I am going to post what just now worked for me - this is a rollup of some other posts. I have Moto Razr Maxx with JB 4.1.2 (which I believe is what brought on the problem). These steps are essentially the instructions from Moto Xoom that are referenced in an earlier post in this thread.
    1. Make sure BeyondPod/Settings/Playlist and Widget/Share Podcasts is turned off. This puts .nomedia file in root of the BeyondPod audio directories and tells the Media Storage manager (see next step) to ignore - do not index.
    2. System Settings/Apps/All. find Media Storage. Force Stop, then Clear Data.
    3. Reboot phone. I just powered down, did not do power off with reset (which is hold power and volume down simultaneously until phone powers off - handy to know, but apparently not needed here).
    4. Wait 5 to 10 minute for Media Storage to be rebuilt.
    It worked!
    Kinda sorta. Deleting Media Storage data can seriously mangle your audio settings; e.g., ringtones. So as a last step you should check all your audio settings.
    Last edited by JNavas; 04-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]