Thread: Android Audio Focus

Android Audio Focus

Does BeyondPod 3.0.37 request audio focus as discussed here? http://developer.android.com/trainin...dio/index.html

My Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2.2 lost bluetooth connection to my stereo headset while playing back a podcast in BeyondPod 3.0.37. I clicked the play button the headset which cause the headset to reconnect with the phone. This caused Amazon MP3 player to launch and start playing the last played song. I had to unlock my phone, stop Amazon playback, then restart the BeyondPod playback.

I'm guessing that BeyondPod paused playback after the bluetooth headset lost connection and gave up audio focus (if it had focus in the first place).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John

BeyondPod Team
    We'll need Stefan's input on this one.

BeyondPod Team
    BeyondPod does (and has for a very long time) followed the audio focus rules as decried in the Google documentation. The problem is that any other music app also follows those same rules and they often end up "competing" for the same event (Play/Pause) - especially on the first "Play" after the headset was connected. On many devices the default music player is the one that gets started, but it could be any other player.

Perhaps Amazon mp3 is one of those apps that requests to be the preferred media key app in some circumstances where they shouldn't like when a headset connects? It isn't available in my region so I can't check.

Is there a way to set the default music player?

BeyondPod Team
    The default player used by BeyondPod is the built-in Android music player.
    If you want BeyondPod to use something else, go to Menu | More ... | Settings | Player Settings | Default Audio/Video player, and choose internal or external for Audio and Video. If you choose external, the next time you play an episode, BeyondPod will ask you which player you want to use (prompting you with any application that can handle the appropriate file type).

As Stefan mentioned above, AFAIK there is no way to associate the Play button on a headset with a particular application. You may be able to work around it using something like Llama or Tasker (certainly at least one user has written a Llama task to start BeyondPod playback when a headset is plugged in).

Julie