Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flattr Plugin

BeyondPod Team

Flattr Plugin

One of the first plugins we would like to develop is a support for Social micro payments site Flattr. (See this thread in the user forum.)

The general idea is to package the plugin as a separate APK that can be installed independently (either from Play Store or our web site). The plugin will serve as a conduit between BeyondPod and Flattr - it will encapsulate all interaction with Flattr both - authentication and status updates.

Current vision is for the plugin to register itself as a broadcast receiver for mobi.beyondpod.action.PLAYBACK_STATUS event that BeyondPod sends during playback. Once the event is received, the plugin will buffer the events over some period of time and flush them to Flatter when connection to internet is available. The plugin will have some limited UI to allow the user to authenticate/re-authenticate with Flatter (and any possibly any other flatter related actions like, flatter history, checking balance etc.). Ideally there should be no need for any configuration on BeyondPod's side - as long as the plugin is installed everything should work.

Feel free to comment and propose changes or any additional functionality you think will be needed.
    Last edited by juwlz; 04-03-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Flattr needs the URL of the "item" being flattr'd. So far i see no way to obtain this information. I'd suggest an amendment to the BeyondPod API, where the play/pause state would not only send the name of the item being played, but also the item URL. The intent extra should be named in a way that is universal (and might also be a good general amendment to the scrobbledroid-API itself).

Ideally, this url would come from a special field from the RSS/Atom. But for the first steps, the Webpage associated with a certain podcast episode would be good enough.

I suggest the following intent extras:

* url {String} (not required) The URL of the podcast in question
    * flattr-payment {String} (not required) The URL of special flattr-link (see Flattr documentation)

The latter is only available for those feeds, that actually provide the information in their link[rel=payment]-tags. The former would probably apply to all feeds. The latter URL would be preferred by the plugin, as it is more precise. If it's empty, the plugin would default to the former.

I also concur on all of the above: The application itself would have minimal settings (perhaps something like a checkbox "auto-flattr everything" and a login-box). For later versions i'd love to see something like "flattr episodes i've listened to for more than X minutes". But that's an implementation-detail we don't need to worry too much about.

BeyondPod Team
    Makes sense. How about l add 2 additional string "extra"s to the mobi.beyondpod.action.PLAYBACK_STATUS broadcast - something like "episode_url" and "feed_url" ?
    This way you will have both the feed and episode URLs if needed. If that works I can add this in the next beta.

Stefan

Your suggestion sounds nice. I'd go with dashes instead of underscores, though. It's aligned with the style from the scrobbledroid-API (example: "mb-trackid")

BeyondPod Team
    Sounds good - "dashes" it is. I will add it in the next scheduled BETA.
    We usually release betas on Fridays, but if you need it sooner, just let me know and I will send you a build as soon as I get it coded.

Stefan
    Last edited by StefanK; 04-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    As of 3.1.16 BETA, mobi.beyondpod.action.PLAYBACK_STATUS event that BeyondPod sends has a new set of "extras". These new "extras" can be useful to any application that may want to monitor BeyondPod's playback status.

Here is a list of currently the supported "extras":

• playing - boolean - True if episode is currently playing
    • feed-name - string - Name of the episode feed
    • feed-url - string - URL of the episode feed
    • episode-name - string - Name of the episode (usually comes from the associated post title)
    • episode-url - string - URL of the episode media file (where the episode was downloaded or straming)
    • episode-file - string - If the episode is downloaded, the name of the episode file stored on the device SD card.
    • episode-post-url - string - URL of the episode's web page (if any)
    • episode-mime - string - Episode format as mime type (for example audio/mp3, video/mp4 etc.)
    • episode-summary - string - 500 symbol snippet from the show notes (comes from the post content)
    • episode-duration - long - Total episode duration in seconds
    • episode-position - long - Current playing position in seconds

Keep in mind that the mobi.beyondpod.action.PLAYBACK_STATUS broadcast event is sent only when the play status changes (play to pause and vice-verse) and is not sent during the playback itself.

Great! where do i get the beta?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    If you tick "Beta Version Notifications" in the General Settings, BP will check once per day whether there is a new beta available, and give you a link to download it from.

BeyondPod Team

Hi Guys,

i'm sorry (and emberrassed) to report this, but at the moment i just can't find the time to write this. I certainly do hope that someone picks this up someday (maybe even me, but this will probably not happen for the next six months).

Again, i wish to apologize.