Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Google Reader Will Be Shut Down Thread (little effect on BeyondPod)

BeyondPod Team
    Many people have asked how will the termination of Google Reader affect BeyondPod.

When we built BeyondPod we did not want it to rely on a 3rd party service so the Reader integration was always "available" but "not required" for BeyondPod to work. Most of our users actually do NOT use Google Reader integration at all in BeyondPod. Reader integration provided several useful features that nicely complemented BeyondPod, but are NOT essential for its operation.

Even without Reader, all BeyondPod features will be still available - you can subscribe to feeds (both text only, and podcasts), download episodes, schedule updates, play etc.

Google Reader integration was targeted primary at people that already used Reader so they can import their feeds and don't have to add them manually on the device. To a certain degree the integration with Reader made BeyondPod development (and the user interface) a bit more challenging as Reader was mostly focused on "text" feeds (where read/unread make perfect sense) and a bit less clear with podcasts (where played/un-played makes more sense, but we still have to support read/unread for Reader feeds).

Just for completeness, here is an overview of extra features that Google Reader integration provided:

1. Common place to have all your feed subscriptions. It was easy to add a feed to Reader on your PC and then import it into BeyondPod.
    2. Aggregated feeds (ability to have a single feed made of all new posts across feeds in a given Reader folder)
    3. Ability to sync Read/Starred status of posts between desktop and devices
    4. It was able to keep a history of older posts that may have been removed form the publisher feed.

We (I personally) like an used those features and would like to keep them if possible. If not possible we will try to find a way to provide them using a combination of services or writing our own.

At this point the low hanging fruit is Feedly's Normandy API. If it works as they advertise (and indeed supports all features above) it will be the easiest path to regain the lost functionality. Unfortunately their API is not yet "public" (it is "invite only") so not much is known about it, other than what is in their blog post. I already contacted them so we have to wait and see what is available once they respond (I am sure there are many other apps trying that route too).

If for some reason Feedly integration does not work, or even if it does, we have good relationship with blubrry.com - they have some of the back-end already in place and are focused on podcasts (extra benefit is that they have support for Roku box and some Smart TVs). We are trying to find a way to collaborate that is mutually beneficial for both our companies.

Regardless of what happens to Reader/Feedly etc, we will keep enhancing our existing Syncing Infrastructure. Hopefully at some point we will be able to implement all features (plus many more) using our own back end. Unfortunately as a self funded company, we rely solely on BeyondPod sales to fund any development so it takes a bit longer for us to build any larger infrastructure projects, but we are working on it.

Stefan
    Last edited by StefanK; 03-14-2013 at 01:34 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    If you are currently using Reader and are concerned to what will happen to your existing feeds in BeyondPod that were imported from Reader, they will still remain available - you won't have to delete and re-add them.

You can easily "un-link" any feed from Reader and use it directly and independently of Reader. To un-link a feed: long press on the feed in the feed list in BeyondPod and select "Edit Feed" from the menu to open the Feed Settings. In the Feed Settings un-check "Sync With Google Reader" and press Save.

Once the feed is "un-linked" you can use it as if the feed was never part of Reader. You can un-link one (as an experiment) or all of your feeds as needed. Once the feed is un-linked, you will lose the "read/unread" history of the episodes/posts (as this information it is kept by Reader) but you can manually mark old (or all) episodes/posts as Read.
    Un-linking will preserve the played positions of downloaded episodes as this information is always stored in BeyondPod's database.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan and Juwlz for being so on top of this. I have full faith in the team that the transition will be reasonably smooth. My main concern is syncing read/unread status between devices because adding RSS feeds are usually a one time thing per device (especially with BeyondPod able to do Backup and Restore) and not a daily hassle like unsynced feeds would be.

One thing I didn't like about Google Reader was that it automatically marked read any post older than 2 weeks old (I believe that was the timeframe). This made it confusing at times to see exactly how many 'new' episodes I hadn't been able to listen to yet when the unread number didn't match the number of downloaded episodes a couple inches to the right in the main feed menu. Hopefully Feedly or the new API Digg just announced (http://blog.digg.com/post/4535570133...lding-a-reader) won't implement a limitation like that that can't be turned off in settings.

Thanks again. I've never been happier with a paid app like I have been with BeyondPod.

Thanks for the update Stefan.

For me the key reason I use GReader is

3. Ability to sync Read/Starred status of posts between desktop and devices

Most of the discussion in the tech press seems to be about GReader as an aggregator of what's happening today - so suggesting alternatives like Flipboard and Google Currents. I use it as a way to store up podcasts to catch up on days, weeks, or even months after being published. And being able to listen from any device and still have all the read statuses kept in sync.

One of my first reactions as well, was thinking "what about my podcasts?". I love the google reader integration for (as mentioned by Stefan) easy import of podcast feeds, but I also like it so I can (here is the OCD part) see new podcasts directly in my RSS feeds and keep track of what I've listened to/watched. I'm using FEEDLY right now and it's pretty legit. This is my +1 for feedly support for beyondpod! Thanks!
    Last edited by jsheehan223; 03-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    Many people have asked how will the termination of Google Reader affect BeyondPod.
    Stefan
    Stefan, thank you for responding in the forum. When I heard the news about GR, BeyondPod was my real concern. Reader is nice and all, but I can replace that with a different RSS reader easily using their data export feature -- but what I really need is a cloud-based back-end to BeyondPod's subscriptions. Sometimes I want to listen to podcasts in my browser and it is very valuable to have BeyondPod synchronize to whatever service I do that with.

My specific concern is that I will need to choose a new RSS viewing service and I will choose whichever one BeyondPod decides to support. I will watch this forum for an official announcement that Feedly is the one, and then I will start a Feedly account. Please let us know as soon as you decide.

If you start a voluntary bounty for this new feature I would tip a dollar or two toward it. Thank you for BeyondPod it is pretty decent among peers which are all preposterously terrible.

I've just installed Feedly on my tablet. It looks really nice, more like Google Currents. Playback on audio and video podcasts is really crude in comparison to BP. If Feedly publishes their API and BP uses it I'd certainly stick with BP for audio and video.

Digg looks to be another replacement option: http://www.digg.com/reader

How about a BeyondPod web-site that would allow us to maintain our podcast feeds online rather than on a phone? that's the main reason I use Greader integration.

also, is there a was to remove Greader sync from all feeds at once, or do we have to edit each feed individually? or will that magically happen in a future update to BP?
    -- Mike Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by mikejacobs99 View Post
    How about a BeyondPod web-site that would allow us to maintain our podcast feeds online rather than on a phone?
    Mypodder and gpodder apps offer this exact service, so why not BeyondPod?

+1 for this suggestion :-)