Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Google Reader Will Be Shut Down Thread (little effect on BeyondPod)

I still think that service synchronization is more important (to something like Feedly) than a cloud based beyondpod service. I use it in the instance that when i'm at work, i'm more likely to listen to a podcast through a browser than my phone, especially if it is one that hasn't been downloaded.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jsheehan223 View Post
    I still think that service synchronization is more important (to something like Feedly) than a cloud based beyondpod service. I use it in the instance that when i'm at work, i'm more likely to listen to a podcast through a browser than my phone, especially if it is one that hasn't been downloaded.
    To you, but not to everyone -- synchronization is the least important part of Google Reader to me.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

Sync is the most important for me. Adding feeds is a one time occurrence per device and manually adding them is no longer a deal once it's set up. Sync of new/read episodes or news articles is an hourly (multiple times an hour for me actually for news items) occurrence for me and would be a major nuisance if it was not consistent across devices.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinpalooza View Post
    Sync is the most important for me. Adding feeds is a one time occurrence per device and manually adding them is no longer a deal once it's set up. Sync of new/read episodes or news articles is an hourly (multiple times an hour for me actually for news items) occurrence for me and would be a major nuisance if it was not consistent across devices.
    Good for you. But there are other important uses for Google Reader, as Stefan noted here, most notably for me the ability to access older episodes no longer on the current feed, which is simply not otherwise possible.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

Quote Originally Posted by JNavas View Post
    Good for you. But there are other important uses for Google Reader, as Stefan noted here, most notably for me the ability to access older episodes no longer on the current feed, which is simply not otherwise possible.
    Good for you.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Update:

Sadly, all is quiet on the Feedly/Normandy front. Stefan has not had any response to his email to them. I guess they're busy handling the increased load since the Google's announcement.

In the meantime, other options are being investigated. One that looks promising would allow access to historical episodes from feeds that only keep a small number of recent episodes (a common request). One benefit of this service compared with GReader would be that episodes older than 30 days would not be automatically be marked as read. With a little work at their end, aggregation of feeds would also be possible. Looking further ahead, there are possibilities for cross platform sync similar to BP's Android-only episode sync. However, it's still early days, and nothing is yet decided.

Separately, a new version of BP will be released well before Google Reader disappears, which will allow users to easily disconnect their feeds from GReader sync. This will allow users who simply used GReader to subscribe to feeds on the desktop to easily continue to receive those feeds without having to edit each feed manually and disable syncing.

In addition, there will be a BeyondPod web page which will allow a simple interface to manage your subscriptions on the desktop. Initially it will simply allow you to paste in a URL that you want to subscribe to. This will send the URL to the sync service (which is currently in beta test). Enhancements to the sync service will allow feed subscription updates to be synced to your devices. This will allow subscription to feeds from the desktop, which is one of the other most common requests.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Update:

In addition, there will be a BeyondPod web page which will allow a simple interface to manage your subscriptions on the desktop. Initially it will simply allow you to paste in a URL that you want to subscribe to. This will send the URL to the sync service (which is currently in beta test). Enhancements to the sync service will allow feed subscription updates to be synced to your devices. This will allow subscription to feeds from the desktop, which is one of the other most common requests.
    Excellent! I would really appreciate if you could get the website up and running (can i volunteer to beta-test?) as it is the way I find really convenient to handle new podcasts. How will news be released of the launch of the website? Thanks!

If I can stream podcasts via this website, I would be happy with that. My preference is still Feedly (or some other web service rss aggregator) integration, tho.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by bern_viking View Post
    Excellent! I would really appreciate if you could get the website up and running (can i volunteer to beta-test?) as it is the way I find really convenient to handle new podcasts. How will news be released of the launch of the website? Thanks!
    It's connected to the sync beta, and you'll find updates on that in the Announcements forum and the Episode Sync form.

Quote Originally Posted by jsheehan223 View Post
    If I can stream podcasts via this website, I would be happy with that. My preference is still Feedly (or some other web service rss aggregator) integration, tho.
    Well, we really need Feedly to play ball for that. One of the other options being considered does have that facility though.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Update:

Sadly, all is quiet on the Feedly/Normandy front. Stefan has not had any response to his email to them. I guess they're busy handling the increased load since the Google's announcement.

In the meantime, other options are being investigated. One that looks promising would allow access to historical episodes from feeds that only keep a small number of recent episodes (a common request). One benefit of this service compared with GReader would be that episodes older than 30 days would not be automatically be marked as read. With a little work at their end, aggregation of feeds would also be possible. Looking further ahead, there are possibilities for cross platform sync similar to BP's Android-only episode sync. However, it's still early days, and nothing is yet decided.

Separately, a new version of BP will be released well before Google Reader disappears, which will allow users to easily disconnect their feeds from GReader sync. This will allow users who simply used GReader to subscribe to feeds on the desktop to easily continue to receive those feeds without having to edit each feed manually and disable syncing.

You guys are great. Thanks so much!