Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Google Reader Will Be Shut Down Thread (little effect on BeyondPod)

ARGH!

I de-linked my feeds from Google Reader last night (since it will be gone soon)... and once again, all hell breaks loose. Every feed d/l-ed every episode... even those I have already listened to. I had done this previously and spent quite a bit of time deleting every podcast in a feed (since it is one click affair) and then downloading and marking unread those I have yet to listen to.

The problem is, every now and then a feed would d/l old stuff again. I don't know why... But, when linked to google reader this didn't happen. Google's API must have a better way to ensure that you don't see duplicates, or something.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Sorry to hear you've had problems.

The "old" method that BeyondPod used for detecting duplicates was to use Title, Date and Link. If any of these changed, BP would think the episode was new. As you say, Google had rather more sophisticated methods to determine whether or not an episode was new (which was one reason why people chose to sync with GReader). However, it is now possible to set the duplicate detection method to Use Post GUID, which is more reliable (when the feed supports it).

To recover, I would suggest that you edit the affected feeds, and
    1. If the Duplicate detection method is set to Title, Link, Date, change it to Automatic. This will examine the feed contents, and use GUID if appropriate, and leave it as Title, Link and Date otherwise
    2. Refresh the feed
    3. In the feed settings (near the bottom), Mark All as Downloaded
    4. If necessary, manually mark individual episodes that you haven't heard as new

It's a bit of a pain, I know, but once it's done, your feeds should start to behave themselves again.

Julie

Thanks Julie... I will give it a try.

Is there an easy way to delete all podcasts that are marked as read? I have my player's auto play settings set to delete and move to next after a podcast completes.

BeyondPod Team
    Good question. My kneejerk reaction was to say in Episode view, use Menu | Delete Played, but that may or may not work, depending on how "Read" interacts with "Played" in this case. But it's certainly where I'd start (like you, I delete after playing, so I don't have a load of undeleted episodes to play with to try it out right now).

If that fails, Episode Cleanup (again, in the Episode View) does at least allow you to quickly tick which episodes you want to get rid of, and then delete en masse. And you can sort in whatever order works best for you - but I'd guess date would be the most likely to be useful.

Both of these work for the episodes that your current filter shows you (i.e. the category or feed). To get to Episode view for a single feed, tap on the musical note icon.

Julie

Hmm... I didn't even know about Episode cleanup. Neat.

however, delete played seemed to work. I marked all read (which seems to mark them as played as well, at least, maybe because of my settings.) So, I marked all read, then marked the ones I hadn't heard yet as unread, then delete all played and it kept the ones I had marked unread.

I hope after all this I don't get the dupes any more. Most of the feeds were set to GUID duplicate method. I set them all the auto and marked as d/l like you said.

thanks again. best $2 I've ever spent BTW!

BeyondPod Team
    Glad to hear it, and thanks for posting back. In most cases, Read = Played, but there are some exceptions - mostly to do with GReader integration!
    With a clean start, and GUID duplicate detection, any future duplicates are probably the feed publishers fault

On the topic of a back-end replacement. I see you guys are looking at using Feedly, Blubrry, or even rolling your own, which are great options. I was wondering if have you taken a look at the netvibes API? Out of the bunch of feed readers netvibes seems to be running the best at the moment. Anyway, keep up the great work! Beyond Pod is my most used app!

Lightbulb How to unlink from Google Reader with minimum damage

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Sorry to hear you've had problems.
    The "old" method that BeyondPod used for detecting duplicates was to use Title, Date and Link. If any of these changed, BP would think the episode was new. As you say, Google had rather more sophisticated methods to determine whether or not an episode was new (which was one reason why people chose to sync with GReader). However, it is now possible to set the duplicate detection method to Use Post GUID, which is more reliable (when the feed supports it).
    To recover, I would suggest that you edit the affected feeds, and
    1. If the Duplicate detection method is set to Title, Link, Date, change it to Automatic. This will examine the feed contents, and use GUID if appropriate, and leave it as Title, Link and Date otherwise
    2. Refresh the feed
    3. In the feed settings (near the bottom), Mark All as Downloaded
    4. If necessary, manually mark individual episodes that you haven't heard as new

It's a bit of a pain, I know, but once it's done, your feeds should start to behave themselves again.
    Julie
    Thank you. This should be documented in a FAQ!

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Glad to hear it, and thanks for posting back. In most cases, Read = Played, but there are some exceptions - mostly to do with GReader integration!
    With a clean start, and GUID duplicate detection, any future duplicates are probably the feed publishers fault
    Unfortunately, this is a not uncommon problem in my experience, part of the reason for linking to Google Reader.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-22-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

One of the main things that the loss of Google Reader means for me is a loss of ability to import my feeds list (podcasts that I was subscribed to), which is important because I have a few different devices and am in the habit of trying new ROMs which causes a loss of saved app data. This means I have to reinstall beyondpod and re-import those feeds frequently. I know that there is a backup/restore option to create an OPML file on the SD card, but that only works on one device at a time. A possible workaround (or awesome new feature) would be to allow the backup file (OPML) to be exported/saved to Google Drive or Dropbox, both of which I believe have API's available. Other apps, like Carbon App Sync and Backup, use this type of solution for creating app backups. If this could be implemented then it would be possible to easily manage the backup and restoration of saved feeds accross multiple devices or on any device on which the data has been cleared. I don't know if this post should remain here, or moved to the "Suggest a Feature" thread. I'd love to hear what the beyondpod developers think of this idea.

I just installed a new ROM and my beyond pod stuff was all intact. You should create a nandriod backup with your custom recovery software. After you flash a new ROM use the advanced restore to restore you data only. Easy peasy. Also, I keep all the podcasts on the external SD card which isn't affected in any way by flashing ROMs.