Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Official Google Reader Will Be Shut Down Thread (little effect on BeyondPod)

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    That's because Google is caching them. It's unusual for publishers to keep such a small number of episodes in their feed though. 100 episodes, or a year's worth (or all of them since episode 1) is rather more common.

Unfortunately, no viable alternative to Google Reader is available to provide this functionality yet (Feedly still isn't an option, for instance). Hopefully it's something that will get resolved before too long.

In the meantime, you could temporarily re-sync with Reader and download the older podcasts, if you have the space for them.

Julie

"That's because Google is caching them" this is why Google Reader shutting down WILL have an effect on BeyondPod. Sorry, but I get frustrated every time I come here hoping there's a solution for the Google Reader issue and see the "(little effect on BeyondPod)" statement in this thread header.

I know a lot of people really don't care but there are some of us that rely on this syncing of feeds and that is one of the main reason I purchased BeyondPod when I was looking for a podcast app. I've already switched away from Google Reader and with no way to sync my podcast feeds between my desktop and my smartphone I have found myself wasting valuable data downloading podcasts that I didn't realize I had already listened to at home. Unfortunately, I already find myself using BeyondPod less than I used to. I'm trying to be patient as I understand this issue wasn't created by BeyondPod but I'm still hoping you guys come up with a solution soon. I've tried the BlueStacks option and it does work okay but that isn't an ideal solution.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    As and when Feedly (or some other viable service) allows us access, BeyondPod will use it.

Lightbulb Digg Preps RSS Reader for Launch

Digg Preps RSS Reader for Launch

Digg announced that a beta version of its new content aggregation platform will launch in several phases starting early next week, and everyone will have access by Wednesday, June 26.
    Digg said they will be working on adding an Android app and integrating the service with other services like Evernote.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

So...is there a reader I can use with BP

I didn't have time and don't have a good knowledge of readers to understand this whole thread, but my basic question is, with less than a month before GReader dies, has BP come up with a viable alternative? I just downloaded Feedly, but it doesn't talk to BP. Is BP afraid of Feedly as a competitor? I'll stay loyal to BP, I just want a way to be able to find feeds without manually entering the URL on my Droid, which is daunting enough that I just won't do it.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    As and when Feedly (or some other viable service) allows us access, BeyondPod will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by doonser View Post
    I'll stay loyal to BP, I just want a way to be able to find feeds without manually entering the URL on my Droid, which is daunting enough that I just won't do it.
    As Julie has said here, BP will (Real Soon Now) be able to convert a feed from GReader to direct RSS. You still won't have the long memory of short feeds that GReader gave you.

Also, if tapping on a URL that looks like an RSS feed doesn't pop up the "BP or Browser ..." picker, you still have a couple of choices:

In all mobile browsers that I've tried, long-pressing a link will pop up a menu that will let you "copy link address"; you can then paste this into BP's "add feed/import feed/enter feed URL" form and you're done. If it's hard to navigate your mobile browser to the page containing the link, you can right-click it in your desktop browser, hit "copy link location", paste that into an email to yourself, then copy&paste from there on your Droid.

If you want BP to get those URLs, go to Settings/Apps/<the app that caught the feed URL>, then tap its "Clear defaults" button; this will cause the picker to let you choose again.

I hope I'm not insulting you by telling you stuff you already know! I find that I think differently from other people, and I often have odd ways of getting stuff done.

Allow me to gripe again that the picker popup should show you what it matched, so you can make an informed decision about Once or Always. But that's an Android issue, not BP.

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks to everyone for your patience. I know that there has not been much progress to report on this issue.

Fortunately, things have finally started moving forward late last week and we are getting close to a "preview" solution that you can try.
    (yes... it involves Feedly).

Stay tuned for a more formal announcement...

Stefan

BeyondPod Team
    Thread closed. See this thread for more info on BeyondPod <-> Feedly