Thread: End of Google Reader

End of Google Reader

I know this is breaking news that probably hasn't been considered yet, but given the upcoming demise of Google Reader, I have a feature request. I would love to see syncing of feeds between devices. I don't want to have to start subscribing to everything manually on multiple devices.

If that's not feasible, Feedly looks like it will become my replacement for Google Reader, so if they support third party syncing, that would be a great substitute.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Completely independently of the Google Reader news, we've already been beta testing episode sync in BeyondPod for some time now. But you know that - you're posting in the Cross Device Syncing Beta Test forum.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 03-14-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Yeah, I've been using episode sync, and I'm a huge fan (actually posted this request in that forum, since I assumed it would be related). But I was hoping there would eventually be some way to have a single repository of what my feeds are, not just the episodes. That way I have something that can be restored to a new device.

If the feed backup was included in the sync data, then a new device could just be synced up and you'd be good to go.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by yehoni View Post
    I have a feature request. I would love to see syncing of feeds between devices. I don't want to have to start subscribing to everything manually on multiple devices.
    BeyondPod already has a comprehensive Backup / Restore feature which would allow you to completely duplicate your setup (including the feed settings, SmartPlay rules, etc.), and likely future enhancements for BeyondPod Sync will be to push a full backup, subscriptions to new feeds, etc. via the syncing service so that other devices can retrieve them.

Julie

Full backup sync would be outstanding.

I don't think I ever want a full backup to automatically sync. (Especially as long as there is only one Smart Playlist configuration).

What I have done that's almost as easy: Make a backup and share it to Google Drive. On the receiving device, go to Google Drive and touch the .bpbak file. If it's the first time, you tell Drive to send .bpbak files to BeyondPod always or just once with the same two clicks.

I pretty rarely add podcasts, so manually telling Episode Sync to send them to the other devices is sufficient. If you do that more often, manual sending might get tedious.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by dlynch View Post
    I don't think I ever want a full backup to automatically sync.
    The intention was never to automate backups to and certainly not restores from the sync server. Instead, the idea would be to allow backups to be sent to the sync server using the Android Share mechanism, in the same way that you can already share a backup to other Android services (such as Evernote, Gmail, Drive, Dropbox, etc.). The backup would only ever be restored under the user's control, by allowing the user to select a backup on the sync server, rather than one on the local device.

And as with all BeyondPod sync services, this is not a permanent storage repository for your backups - they'll expire (i.e. be deleted) after a couple of weeks. It would just be one more way to share your backups between devices if you want to.

Julie