Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nook people, come in

Question Nook people, come in

I use BP avidly on my Motorola Bionic and am considering getting a Nook, either Color or Tablet. I plan to root whatever I get and use BP on it. Will the Color do the job well enough with its slower processor? Will it do the job better, since it has more mods?

I have never rooted anything. Is either rooting process prohibitively difficult?

Many thanks for any insight you can offer.

ETA: I'm worried the Color won't have the muscle for video podcasts specifically.
    Last edited by Veganlady; 03-20-2012 at 05:59 PM.

The NC can handle most video without much trouble, both rooted stock and CM7 (Gingerbread). CM9 (ICS, Ice Cream Sandwich) doesn't have high-performance drivers for the NC's video chip (closed source), so it's all on-board and as a result it can't handle HD YouTube video.

BP itself runs just great on my NC, both CM7 and CM9; I gave up on rooted stock before I discovered BP, but AFAIK there should be no problem.

Rooting is easy if you find the right XDA thread to follow (this one looks good). It takes less than an hour, but it took me a couple of weeks of messing about to decipher the terminology (I'm a dinosaur and "flashing a ROM" means something very different than it used to), and decide which path to follow (stick with rooted stock or move on to CyanogenMod).

The NC is very nearly unbrickable, barring the odd hardware failure. Keep your receipt, the power cable is somewhat fragile, and commodity USB cables don't recharge very quickly.

I'm not a big video consumer, so I'm not the perfect reviewer for you. I use BP to listen to podcasts during my three hours of commuting every day, for which purpose it is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Veganlady View Post
    I use BP avidly on my Motorola Bionic and am considering getting a Nook, either Color or Tablet. I plan to root whatever I get and use BP on it. Will the Color do the job well enough with its slower processor? Will it do the job better, since it has more mods?
    I have never rooted anything. Is either rooting process prohibitively difficult?
    Many thanks for any insight you can offer.
    ETA: I'm worried the Color won't have the muscle for video podcasts specifically.
    Your best bet with the Nook Color in my opinion is not to try to root it, but instead boot it into Android from an SD card, which can be purchased for $35 on the Web, or for only $15 on eBay.

That said, I think a better bet is to get a real Android tablet running Honeycomb like the Acer Iconia Tab A100 ($235-260), in part because that way you entitled to standard support.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

BeyondPod Team
    Just to add my 2c - We had a very high hopes for the Nook tablet - our intent was to support it the same way we support Kindle Fire and have it on the Nook store. Since day one it was just a pain to work with the Nook - we had to ask for a special permission from B&N to develop applications, that process did not work well and their app store was quite a bit messy. For some reason B&N decided to keep the device mostly locked for development and focused mostly on their content (until very recently the way the device storage was partitioned it was leaving very little space for apps to use - most space was reserved for their content).

If you don't care for the nook "reading" capabilities, and don't want to deal with rooting you are better of getting a regular honeycomb tablet. Acer A100 is a good and relatively cheap one (the 2 issues I have with it are short battery life and WIFi connection getting often lost). From all the smaller tablets we have, we probably like the most the 8" Galaxy Tab that is very, very good (but a bit expensive).

Kindle Fire is also a very good option if you want to stay in the sub $200. If you are willing to wait a while there are rumors of sub $200 Goggle Nexus Tablet being released sometime in May.

If you decide to get Nook, you most likely have to root it and install a custom ROM. The nook tablet hardware by itself is very good - the screen is nice and the processor is relatively fast.

Thank you all so much for the replies! I appreciate the thought and time you spent.

I do want to stay in the $200 ball park and am not afraid of doing some mods. I had thought that if I do go with Nook Color or Nook Tablet, I'd do the SD card boot method that JNavas mentioned, just do it myself. There are lots of resources out there on how to make the SD card yourself. However, if Kindle Fire will work with BP natively and eliminate that requirement, even better.

I'll also look into the Acer and Nexus. I like the idea of an Android device with app selection not constrained by a bookstore.

Thanks again!

You can also find the HTC Flyer and Evo View 4g for about $200 to $250 shipped.

I've bought one of each recently, and am quite impressed by the build quality and feature set.
    Owner - http://www.soulhamsters.com - Your home for R&D, parts specials, and community fun with fellow Kia Soul owners.
    Look me up on Xbox Live - TEH RED ZMAN

Exclamation Acer Iconia vs HTC Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by RED ZMAN View Post
    You can also find the HTC Flyer and Evo View 4g for about $200 to $250 shipped.
    I've bought one of each recently, and am quite impressed by the build quality and feature set.
    The HTC hardware is good, but the HTC software is still Gingerbread. Honeycomb has been promised, but no date has been given. The Acer Iconia, on the other hand, runs Honeycomb now, and the difference is considerable. (You can of course root the Flyer and install hacked firmware, but you then loose HTC support.)
    Hope that helps,
    John

Sorry, you are wrong. I've got a HTC Flyer I just sent to my son in the Air Force, and a HTC Evo View 4g that is replacing my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 in my dashboard.

Both are on OEM Honeycomb, 3.2

Thanks to the member that emailed me to reply to this. It is easy to view posts of those you have ignored if you need to.

http://bit.ly/GItOGz
    ^^^
    Flyer

http://bit.ly/GItSWP
    ^^^
    Evo View 4g

Anyways, VeganLady, I can tell you that Honeycomb on these 2 devices works pretty darned well. Neither are going to be upgraded to ICS by HTC, at least it looks that way so far, but I'm loving mine quite a bit.

After I unpacked it and turned it on, I had 4 updates (official updates from HTC), and in less than an hour it was running Honeycomb.

Aaaaand back into my hole.
    Owner - http://www.soulhamsters.com - Your home for R&D, parts specials, and community fun with fellow Kia Soul owners.
    Look me up on Xbox Live - TEH RED ZMAN

Quote Originally Posted by RED ZMAN View Post
    Sorry, you are wrong. I've got a HTC Flyer I just sent to my son in the Air Force, and a HTC Evo View 4g that is replacing my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 in my dashboard.
    Both are on OEM Honeycomb, 3.2
    Thanks to the member that emailed me to reply to this. It is easy to view posts of those you have ignored if you need to.
    Anyways, VeganLady, I can tell you that Honeycomb on these 2 devices works pretty darned well. Neither are going to be upgraded to ICS by HTC, at least it looks that way so far, but I'm loving mine quite a bit.
    After I unpacked it and turned it on, I had 4 updates (official updates from HTC), and in less than an hour it was running Honeycomb.
    Aaaaand back into my hole.
    What I posted was correct, just out of date, as your churlish response effectively admits.
    You tried to claim the Flyer ships with Honeycomb, but it actually ships with Gingerbread
    (proof), with an OTA update to Honeycomb now finally available.
    And it's no longer sold by Best Buy (proof) -- it was discontinued due to slow sales --
    unlike the Acer Iconia, which is still sold by Best Buy (proof).
    Nooow please do us a favor, and stay in your hole.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-24-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

BeyondPod Team

Lets get this thread back on a positive track and refrain from the personal remarks and bickering.

Going forward posts that do not constructively contribute to the community will be removed without comment.

EDIT: Feel free to discuss this policy in the sticky Forum thread. Off topics posts deleted and moved to that thread.
    Last edited by tim; 03-25-2012 at 10:38 AM.