Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External SD - Path selection

Lightbulb External SD - Path selection

************************************************** ****************************
    * Having an option to select from a file manager to specifically locate the External SD card *
    * (eventually even move automatically all the episodes to it from the internal memory). *
    ************************************************** ****************************

Hello there, i'm new to the forum but a big fan and heavy user of BeyondPod.
    I've notice an issue and a lack of feature that maybe affects a lot of user.
    I had a Samsung Galaxy SII and a lot of podcast episodes, so all stored on the External SD card.
    The path was mnt/sdcard/external_sd (so one recognised by BeyondPod), but after the update to Android 4.1.2 the path was changed to storage/extSdCard. So not anymore available as an option.
    Since many different producers manage in different ways the path of the External SD card, i think that it will be better to have an option to select from a file manager to specifically locate it.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Interesting. My Galaxy SIII on Jellybean (4.1.2) has a path (known to BeyondPod) of /mnt/extSdCard, and I'd be surprised if Samsung are using a different one on different devices.

However, you can type the path in the general settings, but as it happens we were discussing only the other day the possibility of having a way to browse to the path to enter it if it's not one that BeyondPod already recognises.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Interesting. My Galaxy SIII on Jellybean (4.1.2) has a path (known to BeyondPod) of /mnt/extSdCard, and I'd be surprised if Samsung are using a different one on different devices.

However, you can type the path in the general settings, but as it happens we were discussing only the other day the possibility of having a way to browse to the path to enter it if it's not one that BeyondPod already recognises.

Julie
    Yeap, Julie iīve just fixed: seems that in my memory was still present the old location "mnt/sdcard/external_sd" which was the one before the update, once i removed the folder, BeyondPod recognizes the new one "/mnt/extSdCard"
    Anyway itīll be interesting an option to move all the the episodes file in your favourite location without manually exit and do it by file manager
    ...anyway BeyonPod forever !

BeyondPod Team
    Yes, it would be nice, but it would require a fairly comprehensive file manager to be included in BP, which could handle and deal with interruptions gracefully, etc. All in all, it's a surprisingly large amount of work for something that usually only gets done once, so I'm afraid other things are likely to take priority over this.

Yes, it would be nice, but it would require a fairly comprehensive file manager to be included in BP, which could handle and deal with interruptions gracefully, etc. All in all, it's a surprisingly large amount of work for something that usually only gets done once, so I'm afraid other things are likely to take priority over this.
    If the system you are currently using doesn't work (which it doesn't, as I am having the same problems, even after trying al documented fixes), you folks need to do something. In other words, it is not functioning as advertised.

Downloading my podcasts to my external SD card isn't a frivolous feature - it's essential. I paid for the app, and something as simple as determining where to put them should be, well, simple. No need to build a file manager - just integrate a call to the default file management system, like, you know, most apps do.

Please do not get me wrong, I adore the functionality this app has, but, this is a big deal, as Galazy 2 owners represent a huge part of the market, and a lot of us are swapping over to Jellybean.
    Grind On,

-Jim

BeyondPod Team
    It seems that the issue is arising not because of the new path name (which BeyondPod DOES know) but for those who have BP's option to Lock to Current Path set in the Advanced Settings (which is generally advisable). However, when the path name changes, the path that BP is locked to is no longer valid, so BP creates a new directory in the path that the device reports as its default - which is normally built-in storage these days.

As Google is essentially disclaiming the possibility of external cards, manufacturers choose their own path names, which does complicate things. /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod/Podcasts IS known to Beyondpod, and I have been using external storage on that path on my own Galaxy S3 ever since I got it almost a year ago. It's Samsung's CHANGE of path (and BP's inability to magically divine this) that has caused the problem, not the new path itself.

That's not to say that BP shouldn't try to find a way to handle this more elegantly, but if it was easy, there wouldn't need to be a Lock to Current Path setting in the first place.

Julie

It seems that the issue is arising not because of the new path name (which BeyondPod DOES know) but for those who have BP's option to Lock to Current Path set in the Advanced Settings (which is generally advisable). However, when the path name changes, the path that BP is locked to is no longer valid, so BP creates a new directory in the path that the device reports as its default - which is normally built-in storage these days.

As Google is essentially disclaiming the possibility of external cards, manufacturers choose their own path names, which does complicate things. /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod/Podcasts IS known to Beyondpod, and I have been using external storage on that path on my own Galaxy S3 ever since I got it almost a year ago. It's Samsung's CHANGE of path (and BP's inability to magically divine this) that has caused the problem, not the new path itself.

That's not to say that BP shouldn't try to find a way to handle this more elegantly, but if it was easy, there wouldn't need to be a Lock to Current Path setting in the first place.

Julie
    I never set the "Lock to current path" - it's always been unchecked. I believe I have it working now, but, having to clear the data, cache, uninstall, reinstall, restore feeds from scratch, then do a test download seems a bit much when even Podkicker (which was what I left to join in the BP ranks. PK is a far inferior podcacther, particularly in terms of smooth operation) could handle - with ease. If that buggy thing can do it, there has to be an easy way to integrate into an existing file manager. If you can paste a path, you should be able to navigate to one using an already-on-the-device file manager. I mean, nearly every app does this with notification tones.

I honestly do not see where the difficulty lies.

Again, thank you for a wonderful app, the quick reply, and being professional. I just quite literally do not understand the lack of this feature - if that's making me come off negatively, I apologize..
    Grind On,

-Jim

Julie
    Hi, in general settings my file path is greyed-out. I would like to change it since my Xperia useds ext_card rather than sdcard for the external memory.

Please advise.

Thanks

BeyondPod Team
    You need to go to Advanced Settings to change it. Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced settings.

Don't forget that you'll also need to exit BeyondPod and move the BeyondPod folder there.

I have set the new path, exited bp, moved bp folder to new location, restarted bp. Bp has recreated folder at old location. Does not use new location even though shown as alternative in advanced settings. What next please?