Thread: already downloaded podcasts "invisible" since phone OS upgrade

Unhappy already downloaded podcasts "invisible" since phone OS upgrade

Hi,

I have just upgraded my galaxy S2's OS to 4.1.2 (from 4.0.4) using an official update via Kies.

Sadly Beyondpod seems to have reverted back to using internal storage for podcasts as part of the automatic 'application upgrade' after the upgrade of the OS. (I had it set to using a folder on my external SD card)

I have moved the newly created "BeyondPod" folder back on top of my "real one" on the external SD card, however the stored podcasts I already have there aren't being picked up by BeyondPod :-(

Is there any way I can get BeyondPod to re-integrate them without going through an extended import process per subfolder?

Cheers :-)

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    First, in the General Settings, check (at the bottom) what path BeyondPod says it's using for its downloads.

It needs to be pointing to the BeyondPod/Podcasts folder on your external card (which should probably be /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod/Podcasts - case sensitive - on a Samsung Galaxy phone). If not, first check whether you have Lock to current path ticked in the Advanced settings (Menu | More ... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced settings). If it's ticked, untick it for now. Then exit BeyondPod completely, using the menu options (Menu | More... | Exit BeyondPod), and make sure that you do not have a BeyondPod folder on your internal storage (which may, somewhat confusingly, be called /mnt/sdcard). If the folder exists, delete it.

Once you've got rid of the BeyondPod folder on the internal card, and restart BeyondPod, it should find the folder on the external card. Assuming it does, go back to Advanced settings and tick the Lock to current path setting again.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 03-23-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: addi

I have the same problem, just updated OS to 4.1.2 and all downloaded episodes are being ignored/streamed

I've gone through your suggestion juwlz but no success.
    In environment info it does say "BP will use:/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/BeyondPod" and it does indeed download episodes to that location.
    Re-downloading an episode which already exists replaces the one that was currently there.

What does clear cache do? I've not tried that yet...

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by KH_ View Post
    I've gone through your suggestion juwlz but no success.
    In environment info it does say "BP will use:/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/BeyondPod" and it does indeed download episodes to that location.
    Re-downloading an episode which already exists replaces the one that was currently there.
    Does that folder definitely exist? And is it on your external card? And can you see your (old) downloaded episodes (from before the OS update) in their folders there using a File Manager?

Could you please post the full environment info? (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Environment info). If you hit the Email Support button at the bottom, you should also get options to paste it elsewhere (e.g. the clipboard), so that you can paste it here instead of emailing it. JB introduced some new "standard" paths to directories, with symlinks to legacy paths - and that's just the Google implementation, before manufacturers and carriers stick their oars in - so it may be that something's getting confused along the way, and information about what device you're using could be crucial.

Thanks
    Julie

All files exist, I can view them in explorer on the pc when connected via usb and also can see them in Astro file manager on the phone. Definitely on the card.
    The pc will show, under GT-I9100 phone and card as two separate locations, they show up on card.

You make an interesting point about carriers. I use 'Three' network in the UK and they provide their own modified version of Android to run on their network, not a stock version.

Edit: A little more information. On each podcast which exists on the card there is the trashcan item to delete it. Pressing and accepting OK to delete does NOT delete the file, it remains on the card. Podcasts are set to delete one played.

If I play an episode which exists it will stream that episode and mark it as read and deleted however it still exists on the card.
    If I disable wifi and mobile data episodes which exist but are 'invisible' to BeyondPod will not play.

All podcasts on the card will play on the pc when double clicked in explorer.

Hope some of that helps

Code:
    DEVICE: samsung GT-I9100 (GT-I9100) with Android 4.1.2

DEVICE STORAGE

• SD Card Root: /storage/sdcard0

• Optional Root: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

• Cached SD Card Root: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd (use cached root, keep missing episodes)

• External SD State: mounted

• BP location on SD: /storage/sdcard0/BeyondPod, Exists: false

• BP location on Optional: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/BeyondPod, Exists: true

• BP will use: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/BeyondPod

NETWORK CONNECTIONS (11)

•  Type: mobile (HSPA+), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    •  Type: WIFI (), Available: true, Connected: true, State: CONNECTED, Roaming: false
    •  Type: mobile_mms (HSDPA), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: mobile_supl (HSDPA), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: mobile_dun (HSDPA), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: mobile_hipri (HSDPA), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: BLUETOOTH_TETHER (), Available: false, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: mobile_fota (HSDPA), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: mobile_ims (HSDPA), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: mobile_cbs (HSDPA), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false
    •  Type: WIFI_P2P (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: UNKNOWN, Roaming: false

BATTERY INFO

• Level: 90
    • Plugged In: 2
    • Is Charging? true
    • Is Plugged In? true
    Last edited by KH_; 03-26-2013 at 08:21 AM.

I've double posted as its a new day and this seems like quite important information that needs to be noted.

NEW podcasts downloaded are NOT visible in explorer on the pc OR in a file manager on the phone. They play just fine and clicking episode details says they're in the folder I cannot see them in.
    Is BeyondPod looking for episodes in a completely different location to the one its reporting?

MAJOR Edit: Possible Solution

Using Kies Air which allows me to browse the phone through a browser window I can see actual file paths, not what explorer or Astro think I should be looking at!

Prior to the OS upgrade the external card was called external_sd and that is what BP is reporting as the download location.
    My old podcasts are NOW located at "storage/extSdCard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/" and not seen by BP
    Newly downloaded episodes are at "storage/sdcard0/external_sd/BeyondPod/Podcasts/"

Now I just need to figure out how to get BP to change external_sd to extSdCard
    Last edited by KH_; 03-27-2013 at 04:14 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    Try this.

1. First make sure you don't have anything in set in "Episode Download Path" and "Lock to Current Path" is unchecked - both located in: Menu > More > Settings > Menu (press Menu key again) > Advanced Settings.
    2. Exit BeyondPod (Menu > More > Exit BeyondPod)
    3. Move both existing BeyondPod folders (storage/extSdCard/BeyondPod and storage/sdcard0/external_sd/BeyondPod). to /mnt/extSdCard. This way you will merge the 2 existing BeyondPod folders in the new place. After you are done moving there should be only one BeyondPod folder on your device- the one in /mnt/extSdCard.
    4. Start BeyondPod and it should start using /mnt/extSdcard folder form now on.
    5. Once you verify that everything is working and podcasts are downloaded to the right place, you can check "Lock to Current Path" (see above) and that will force BeyondPod to always use the "current" path (/mnt/extSdCard).

Excellent, I've got it downloading in the right place now.

Information for anyone else needing to move/delete external_sd folder you can't do that in kies air but if you go to phone settings/more settings/usb utilities then I've discovered you can see ALL hidden files there, including the external_sd folder.

Still one small problem, BP still thinks I need to download the 11.5 gig of podcasts on the removable storage.
    Has a unread blue button and a re-download click.
    Clicking to play just says playback complete.

If I click re-download it will re-download the whole file again into the same folder the one I have exists (the correct place) but not duplicate the file.

I don't mind if I have to redownload them all, lots of clicks but I've got patience ;-)
    Is there a way you know of to get around this?

BeyondPod Team
    You don't have to re-download them - you can just "add" them to the "download history". Long press on the feed > Edit Feed > More Settings... > Mark All As Downloaded