Thread: "After Playing" behaviour in Playlists only.

"After Playing" behaviour in Playlists only.

Hi.

I don't THINK I am missing an option here, but I may be...

My problem is that normally, when I play a single episode of a podcast, say... Friday's Archers, I want it to stop after playing so it doesn't go and play Thursday's to me which I have already heard.

On the other hand, when Smartplay fills my playlist with 4 different podcasts, I want it to play the next after it's played the one I was listening to.

Is it possible to have a different "After playing" option for playlists than just the normal podcast play? And come to think of it, would it also be possible to have a "Play newer if availaibe" option too? So if on a Friday, after a few days off I start on Wednesdays, it would then play Thursdays and Fridays too?

This would seem to be much more "human" behaviour, as opposed to thinking of it as a computer programme.

Michael.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorry View Post
    My problem is that normally, when I play a single episode of a podcast, say... Friday's Archers, I want it to stop after playing so it doesn't go and play Thursday's to me which I have already heard.
    I'm a bit confused as to why it would play Thursday's episode, as that should already be marked as played if you've already played it (unless you didn't listen to the end, in which case, it should only play the unplayed portion, or you have since hit "Toggle Played" to mark it unplayed); BeyondPod doesn't normally re-play episodes marked as played.

If you're starting playback by selecting the episode either from the expanded Feed view or in the Episode view, whether or not it will play all the rest of the unread episodes that you can see (in the order you see them in) is determined by the Automatic Playlist setting in The Playlist and Widget Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Playlist and Widget Settings | Automatic Playlist).

You can change the order of the episodes by editing the feed settings. Feed Item Sort Order affects the order of the items in the expanded feed; "Sort Local Episodes by" affects their default order in the Episode view. So, if you sort Oldest first in either case, then even with AutoPlay on, if you tap on the most recent episode, there won't be any other episodes after it, so it won't play them.

With AutoPlay on, your playlist will be cleared before adding the episode you started, followed by all he episodes following it in whatever view you're in, in the order you see them in.

With AutoPlay off, the single episode you play will be added to the end of the playlist.

Either way what happens at the end of your playlist is governed by the "When Playlist Ends" setting in your Playlist and Widget Settings. If you have it set to Do Nothing, then play will stop at the end of the episode(s) you added manually.

Another option to try would be to set the Custom Sleep timeout to include 9999 as the first option. This way, you can tap the clock icon in the Player view when listening to any episode, and playback will stop at the end of the episode.

On the other hand, when Smartplay fills my playlist with 4 different podcasts, I want it to play the next after it's played the one I was listening to.
    I assume you already have Play Next or Delete and Play Next as your option for "After Playing" in the Player Settings, to do this.

Is it possible to have a different "After playing" option for playlists than just the normal podcast play?
    That shouldn't be necessary, as you can set BeyondPod not to do anything when it reaches the end of the playlist, and what I assume you mean by normal podcast play will either add a single episode at the end of the existing playlist without Automatic Playlist enabled, or will clear the playlist before creating the new one if enabled. "Do nothing" at the end of the playist will stop playback at the end of either the single episode you added, or the playlist you created automatically.

And come to think of it, would it also be possible to have a "Play newer if available" option too? So if on a Friday, after a few days off I start on Wednesdays, it would then play Thursdays and Fridays too?
    I can think of (at least) 3 ways to do this:

1. Sort your feed (either local episodes or the feed) oldest first, then the episode at the top of the list will be the oldest one. If you play it and have AutoPlay ticked, then it will play all of the unplayed episodes in the feed in chronological order.

2. If you want to include your Archers episodes (or any others) in your Playlist in chronological order, the rule should be
    Play Oldest 50 episodes of The Archers.
    Or you can make this apply to a whole Category by using
    Play Oldest 50 episodes of Category Radio Drama (for example)

3. Personally, I prefer not to include my Archers episodes in my SmartPlay list (which mostly consists of tech podcasts). Instead, I have set up an Archers shortcut on a home page, which uses QuickPlay to play all of the unplayed Archers episodes in chronological order. See the QuickPlay Shortcuts help page (and the link to the Quick Play help page in it) for more details. That way, when I want a change from the tech stuff and feel like catching up on The Archers, I just have to tap the shortcut. This has the same effect as navigating to my Archers Episode view, sorted oldest first, and tapping on the oldest episode with Automatic Playlist enabled ... but without me actually having to do any of that.

NB: The precise detail of some of this depends on whether you're using the phone or tablet version, and what I've described is the phone version.

Julie