Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving BeyondPod to SD Card

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Moving BeyondPod to SD Card

I have an HTC Evo Android device. I want to move BeyondPod to my sd card because it has more storage available. I would like new episodes to be downloaded to the sd card. I connected the HTC EVO to my computer and moved the entire BeyondPod folder and its subfolders to my card. I deleted BeyondPod from phone storage. Low and behold it reappeared on my phone storage. I tested where my episodes were played from. First, I noticed new episodes were still downloading to storage, and old episodes now appeared on both phone storage and the sd card, but no new episodes were on the sd card since the time I moved the folder. I deleted a song from phone storage that appeared on both, and when I opened BeyondPod on my phone, it showed that it was not downloaded. So clearly BeyondPod on my phone is reading episodes from phone storage and not the sd card. What should I do so that all new episodes download to the sd card, and that the app plays songs from the sd card, so that I can delete all episodes from phone storage? Thanks.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    The Evo has been around long enough that I'm surprised that BP doesn't know where to find its SD card - unless it's recently had a firmware update that has changed the path to something that BeyondPod didn't know about (which is possible - especially if it's now running Jelly Bean).

To recover, exit BeyondPod using the menu (Menu | More... | Exit BeyondPod), copy the BeyondPod folder on your internal storage on top of the BP folder on your SD card (you can use an Android file manager if you wish (there are loads in the play store, but I use Astro) - no need to hook up to a PC unless you don't have one). That will combine the two versions of the folder.

Then delete the BeyondPod folder on your internal storage, and restart BeyondPod. Check the General Settings to see where BeyondPod thinks it's storing your episodes (on my S3, it's /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod/Podcasts). If the path is to /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts, it's on your internal storage (despite "sdcard" in the name - that's historical). If it's still on your internal storage, go to Advanced Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings, and go to Episode Download path (near the bottom), and set it to just the path to your SD card (which would be /mnt/extSdCard, in my case). Make sure Lock to Current Path is NOT ticked.

Exit BeyondPod again, and delete the BeyondPod folder from your internal storage again.

Restart BP, and check the path (again).

Once BeyondPod is using the correct path for your SD card, go back to Advanced Settings and tick the box labelled Lock to Current Path. This is because the other reason BP can revert to using internal storage is a timing issue on startup. If BP's services start before the SD card is ready to be accessed - for whatever reason - BP will use internal storage instead.

HTH
    Julie

Thank you, Julie. Two questions - (1) how do I find the exact path name of my sd card, and (2) my sd card is currently UNENCRYPTED. I assume that means it's "ready only" although I can drag and drop files to it. Will this be a problem in accomplishing what you recommended, or do I need to format my card to be encrypted, which means I need to save all the data on it first before it all gets wiped out in the formatting process.

Thanks again, and I hope after all these steps I will have my solution.

David

BeyondPod Team
    P.S. Folder names are case sensitive. extSdCard is not the same thing as extsdcard, for instance.

PS Now when I open BeyondPod it shows all episodes as not downloaded, despite the fact that they are on my sdcard. So it is not really reading from the sdcard.

BeyondPod Team
    The easiest way to find the path is to use a File Manager. Wherever the file manager starts you off, keep navigating Up a level until you get as far as you can go. At the top level of the filesystem, you'll find /mnt, and below that sdcard for your internal storage and something else for your SD card.

Your SD card doesn't have to be encrypted (mine isn't). It just has to be mounted and ready to use (but this takes a little time when you first boot your phone, which is how it can sometimes not be quite ready for action when BP tries to access it on startup). Since you can drag files to it, it's already good to go.

Julie

This is great. Astro is very helpful.
    I have deleted BeyondPod from Phone Storage. Restarted the app, and Episode Download Path is (on my device) /sdcard2/BeyondPod/Podcasts(available) but Lock to Current Path (unchecked) indicates current download path as: (on my device) /storage/sdcard0.

When BeyondPod restarts, it creates folders on my phone storage but they are empty of episodes.

Hi Julie,
    Just wanted to let you know I've succeeded in moving BeyondPod to my sdcard and locking the path for all downloads to go to the sdcard. Took some doing but your instructions were extremely helpful, and Astro file manager was key in doing this, so thank you for that.
    I think BeyondPod is a great product, by far the most flexible podcast and rss feed manager around.
    Best wishes,
    David

BeyondPod Team
    Glad you got there. Thanks for the update.

Good Day

I have tried the steps numerous times, eventually deleting my 15GB+ of episodes and I still can't get the move to work!

Here are my last attempted steps:
    Delete folder on external
    Move folder from internal to external
    Start BP
    BP just re-creates the folders on the internal and the downloads are pushed there.

Extra Information:
    Samsung SII
    Android 4.1.2
    BP: 3.1.39 (Lisenced)

Thanks!