Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving BeyondPod to SD Card

After doing a format/factory reset I got the application to "see" the correct folders and to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    In that case, try the following:

1. In BeyondPod edit the current external path in the Advanced Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings | Episode Download Path). Manually change the path to /mnt/extSdCard (important: this is case-sensitive)
    I found this portion the most useful, but it's worth emphasizing that the path you manually enter (in Settings > (phone right button) > Advanced Settings) is the external sd card's root directory, so not literally the podcast folder's full path, but the app's parent folder.

I made the mistake of entering the full podcast path (/storage/external_SD/BeyondPod/Podcasts) since the label says Episode Download Path. I kept seeing that my general setting's Podcast Download Folder field was completely greyed out, and could not get it working until I compared it with the corrected instructions above.
    I then went back into Advanced Settings removed the "/BeyondPod/Podcasts" part, exited the program, removed the dupe 'BeyondPod' folder I found in sdcard0 (phone storage, since I already moved the BeyondPod folder to sd card, it created another one when I downloaded a podcast and the path was not successfully set yet), restarted BeyondPod, then finally started seeing the external_SD path in the general settings. whew! talk about going through a lot of channels. I think this is where android misses the boat. Even though I already did the adp set-install-location to "2", lots of apps still insist on installing on sdcard0. I wish android would fix this, especially because my LG phone has like 1.2 GB of internal storage only.
    Last edited by emilianna; 09-06-2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: add my own experience, hopefully it'll help someone else

I've been using BeyondPod for just a couple of weeks now and am really enjoying it. But, I am frustrated by inability to make my external SD card the default download location.
    If I go into the advanced settings and try and set the default path, I get a message that the file location doesn't exist or the sd card is read only. I read on the website FAQ the following: "On some devices the external storage card is exposed (mounted) as "Read Only" and can't be used to store podcast episodes." I think that is what has hung me up.
    I have also tried the various (helpful) methods described in the forum pages to exit BeyondPod and then move the BeyoinPod folder to the ext SD card. But when is starts back up again it just re-creates it in the internal storage.

Am I just stuck with having to move the podcasts manually to the ext SD card or have the people at BeyondPod found a way to force into the read only sd card?
    I have Android version 4.2.2 and using the latest Beta version of BeyondPod 3.3.66. My tablet is a SumVision Cyclone Explorer.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Since you're using the Beta version, you can use the built in function to move your folder to the SD card.

I haven't heard of your tablet, but BP obviously does have to have write access to the storage to download your podcasts. If your device mounts your card as Read Only, there's nothing that BP can do to overcome that. However, it may be that something else was making it LOOK as though BP couldn't write to the card, and using built-in file transfer should help resolve whether this really is the case.

Also, if you can use some other application (e.g. a file manager) to create a file on the card without connecting it to a PC, that would show that the card isn't mounted read-only.

The other possibility is that your device is using some obscure path to the SD card that BeyondPod has never come across. Because Google are discouraging the use of removable cards, each manufacturer chooses the name it will use for the path, and only VERY recent versions Android even include a way to programmatically discover what paths are available on a device, so the only thing BP could do to find removable cards was to try each of paths that knows about (Samsung's path, Sony's path, etc.) in turn.

You can tell BP about a new path - note that paths are case-sensitive. What IS the path to your removable card? Once we know that, we can attempt the move again.

One final thought, you say you're using version 3.3.66, which is the Phone version, not the tablet version. That's not a problem, as long as you don't also have the tablet version (3.x0.xx) on the same device, as they'll both try to access and update same data, and fight each other, with highly unpredictable results. If you do have both the tablet UI and phone UI installed, please uninstall one of then.

HTH
    Julie

Okay - thanks for answering Julie.
    I am not surprised you’ve never heard of this Cyclone Explorer Tablet – its pretty obscure.
    1) I am able to use the built-in Android File Manager to read and write to the external SD card. In fact, I’ve moved many of the podcasts I downloaded using BeyondPod to the external SD card and plopped them into a folder I use for all my podcasts. And, I’ve use the File Mgr to move the folder ‘BeyondPod’ itself over to the external SD card (with BeyondPod turned off) to attempt this method. But, it didn’t recognise the external SD card and it just created an new folder BeyondPad on the internal card.
    2) I have two cards that I can access using File Mgr:
    ‘/mnt/sdcard’ that the tablet labels as internal storage, and
    ‘/mnt/extsd’ that the tablet calls external Sdcard

3) I’ve tried numerous times to use the feature in Advanced settings to change the download path. I type in: “/mnt/extsd” and just get the message that the ‘folder doesn’t exist or is read-only’

4) I am able to change the download path to a folder in ‘/mnt/sdcard’ do the feature seems to be working, just cannot get through to the external card.

It was interesting to note that when I did this, I could go to the bottom of the General Settings and see an option to change the path. But normally, the ‘Podcast Download Folder’ at the bottom of General Settings is greyed out (and unresponsive) and shows the path: ‘/mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts’ as one would expect.

5) Finally, I don’t see any oter versions of BP in my apps, so I guess that shouldn’t be an issue.

I hope that answered the questions you put to me.
    I am becoming resigned to living with a manual transfer of podcasts to the ext sd card, but if you can think of anything else for me to try I would welcome it!

Magic J

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicJ View Post
    2) I have two cards that I can access using File Mgr:
    ‘/mnt/sdcard’ that the tablet labels as internal storage, and
    ‘/mnt/extsd’ that the tablet calls external Sdcard

3) I’ve tried numerous times to use the feature in Advanced settings to change the download path. I type in: “/mnt/extsd” and just get the message that the ‘folder doesn’t exist or is read-only’[
    OK - so if you're setting Episode Download Path to /mnt/extsd, then that path to the folder is being reported to BP as Read-Only or non-existent. Or there's some missing capitalisation. Is it definitely /mnt/extsd, and not /mnt/ExtSd or /mnt/ExtSD, or some other variation? (Sorry to labour the point, especially if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but Android is clearly telling BeyondPod that it can't write to /mnt/extsd, for some reason). The error you're seeing is the same error that I get if I change that setting to a non-existent path.

If it's not a capitalisation issue, then the only thing I can think of is that there are multiple paths (or symbolic links) to the external card, and /mnt/extsd is a read-only path to the card (actually, I'm on shaky ground here, but I THINK you can have more restrictive permissions on a SymLink vs the real path).

In your file manager, what other paths do you see in /mnt and root that lead to your SD card or internal storage?

For example, one of the devices I have with me at the moment has /ext_card, /sdcard, /sdcard1 (which is the same as /ext_card), /storage (which contains folders emulated, removable, sdcard0, sdcard1 (the same as /ext_card and /sdcard1) and usbdisk). And in /mnt, I only have /mnt/sdcard, but no /mnt/sdcard1. In other words, on this particular device
    • /ext_card
    • /sdcard1
    • /storage/sdcard1, and
    • /storage/removable/sdcard1

all lead to my removable card, but there's no path to it under /mnt!

If I search for a file in that folder, ES File Manager reports that it found it in /ext_card rather than the other variations, and that it has _rw permissions, as does the /ext_card folder itself. However, this is presumably just the first place it found it, as /ext_card is actually a symlink to /storage/removable/sdcard1.

On this device, BP says I have my podcasts on the internal storage, but offers an alternative of /storage/sdcard1 (because it's running Android 4.3, and BP can hunt for them; I'm fairly certain this isn't possible with Android 4.2).

Another device I have with me has the "real" paths of /mnt/sdcard (built-in) and /mnt/sdcard2, with /sdcard which is a symlink to /mnt/sdcard, but no symlinks to the removable card that I can find. On this one, BeyondPod reports the path (in General Settings) is /mnt/sdcard2/BeyondPod/Podcasts, and offers /mnt/sdcard as an alternative.

In other words, it's worth hunting around in your file system for alternative paths to your removable card, and trying them in the Advanced settings Episode Download Path, instead of /mnt/extsd. (Create a file or folder there with an unmistakably unique name, such as "This is a unique 2014-02-20 test file", to be sure you're seeing the same thing via different paths, rather than very similar looking folders.)

I hope that answered the questions you put to me.
    I am becoming resigned to living with a manual transfer of podcasts to the ext sd card, but if you can think of anything else for me to try I would welcome it!
    The problem with doing that (apart from the sheer inconvenience of doing it), is that you will lose all links between the feed and the episode itself, so BP has no way to keep track of what you've listened to, downloaded, deleted, etc.

If the operating system can write to the card, so can BP. We just need to work out how.

Julie

Hi Julie,
    First, I have checked and triple checked the file names and path and cannot see anything wrong with capitalisation, spaces, etc. But thanks for belabouring the point – I only learned during this exercise that folder names were capitalisation dependent.

I installed ES File Manager to get a different look at the files, but it seems to be confirming what I sent before.
    At the root or ‘/’ level there are 15 folders and a bunch of files. Seemingly most are system folders and protected. But one of these is the ‘mnt’ folder.

‘/mnt’ there are six folders listed: asec, extsd, obb, sdcard, secure, and usbhost1.

asec contains some applications. obb, secure, and usbhost1 show as empty (I presume these are protected system folders).

extsd and sdcard contain the folders as expected.

I created a folder as you suggested in the ext SD card folder and named it ‘ test tlj’ I was able to confirm the path name with ES File Mgr and even copied the full path and then pasted it into BP advanced settings to change the down load path but again got the error message of read-only.

I don’t see any alternative paths as you mentioned.

I will continue to poke around this evening and try unmounting/re-mounting the ext sd card and shutting down the tablet. May also uninstall the beta version of BP (for phone) that I have and try and install the one for a tablet.
    Thanks for the help and I’ll let you know if I see any success.

Magic J

BeyondPod Team
    OK then - one more thing to try: let's see whether the log file gives any more detail on what fails.

I very much doubt that the tablet UI will make any difference, but feel free to try it. btw, I would suggest you use BP's Backup and Restore function to backup your settings before uninstalling the phone version, and restore after you install the tablet version.

Go to Advanced Settings and try to change the path to /mnt/extsd again, and as soon as you get the error message, have a look at the Android log. To do this, use Menu | More... | Settings | Menu (again) | View Logs | View Android log. Have a look to see whether there is any vaguely useful error message in response to trying to change the path.

There's an option when viewing the log to email it to support. This just uses the Android share mechanism, so you don't even have to choose email as the target. Or you could email yourself instead of support. Please copy and paste the relevant bit to this thread - it should be pretty easy to identify - since this is going to be a very small piece of the log - and I won't see the email message!

Julie

Here's a shot in the dark: my (4.1.2) phone has an option under the device's Settings/Developer Options called "Protect SD card" which requires apps to request permission to read the SD card. Is this set, perhaps? If you can't find the developer options, this isn't set.

BeyondPod Team
    Based on how the device is set by the manufacturer, the external SD card may be exposed in 2 ways:

1. It is Read/Writable using standard operating system file access methods (which is the most common way).
    2. By making it "Read Only" and using a different (Android specific) approach to write to the SD card.

In order for BeyondPod to use (write to) the SD card it has to be exposed using the standard Operating System file access (e.g mounted as "Writable"). This is the case for almost all devices that are on the market. If your external SD card is mounted as Read Only BeyondPod can't currently use it. You can still put media files on it and BeyondPod can read them as a virtual feed, it just can't download there.

If, in BeyondPod's advanced settings you specify the SD card folder correctly and BP tells you that it is invalid or ReadOnly then it means that the SD card is indeed ReadOnly. (We actually ask Android if the folder is writable and not allow you to set the folder if it is not). You can also verify that by using installing a file manager like Root Explorer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...explorer&hl=en) and try to copy a file to the external SD card. If it fails the SD card is Read Only.

Some file explorers (like ES File Explorer) support both ways to access (the file system way and Android specific way) so they may allow you to copy/move files regardless if your SD card is Read Only so they are not a good way to test if the SD card is mounted as writable.

Stefan