Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moving BeyondPod to SD Card

Wow, I learn something new every day I read this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    Here's a shot in the dark: my (4.1.2) phone has an option under the device's Settings/Developer Options called "Protect SD card" which requires apps to request permission to read the SD card. Is this set, perhaps? If you can't find the developer options, this isn't set.
    Good suggestion, but not the problem. I checked the dev options and the 'Protect SD Card in not checked.

Julie,
    Thanks for the ideas. I did as you suggested and took a good look at the Android Log immediately after trying to change the download path. I can't seen anything connected with BP that is changing any path. I did a search -- cannot find anything about 'path', sd, or ext. There was loads of references to BeyondPod but none seemed to be related to trying to write to a 'read-only' file. So, I'm afraid no solution yet.
    I suspect StefanK (see other post below) may have hit on the difficulty.
    MagicJ

Stefan,
    Thanks for the information. I suspect what you have noted is my problem. I don't have the Root Explorer file manage and don't want to spend the money to install it. Do you know of any 'free' file manager applications? But if you are correct about it being possible to get stuff onto the external SD card in two ways, it seems to describe the symptoms. So, I think I am stuck.
    Thanks for the assistance, everyone!

BeyondPod Team
    Root Explorer has a free version.

If you Google "Android ReadOnly SD Card" you will find some workarounds. Most of those workarounds have to do with corrupted SD cards (or the SD card is too big for the device to handle).

If your manufacturer has indeed made the SD card ReadOnly (and you are an adventurous type) one possible solution is to see if you can root your device. Once Rooted you can change the Linux config file that mounted the card as read only so it is mounted as writable. If yo uwant to take this route, you can probably find all the information on how to do that on the XDA Developers forum.

BeyondPod Team
    Here is a recent Android Police article that explains in great details why some SD cards are (or may soon become) ReadOnly:

"External Blues: Google Has Brought Big Changes To SD Cards In KitKat, And Even Samsung Is Implementing Them"

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02...ementing-them/

If you read the "The Consequences" section at the bottom of the article, BeyondPod does request WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission so if your SD card is mounted as ReadOnly, it is allowed to:

• Read and write for any public folder on the primary (built-in) storage
    • Read (not write) for any public folder on the secondary (SD card) storage

That has not been a problem until recently but it seems like manufacturers are getting around to implement those restrictions in their future updates to KitKat. As the article points out (all or many) apps that retrieve content from the internet and store it locally are affected.

We are trying to see if using Google's Storage Access is practical for our purposes. It is mostly designed to read/save individual files so it may not work well for background downloads.

Until then, the only solution (other than rooting your device and making the SD card writable) is to move your download location to the internal SD card.

Because we are still allowed to read from the external SD card, you can put media files on it and BeyondPod can read them as a virtual feed, it just can't download there.

Stefan
    Last edited by StefanK; 02-21-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Hello.
    It looks that the basic thing like "choose folder" is missing in BP. Dissapointed.

I wanted to move my BP to ext card. I followed steps. Exited BP and moved the folder. But when I started again BP creates the default folder with the default episodes on the phone. I moved BACK my folder to the phone card. No. There are still default episodes (cnn etc).
    I entered manually so many episodes and now i cant get it back. Database not found? What?
    I removed BP from the phone and deleted BPfolder from the phone.

Last: i copied my old BPfolder to both root (as it was) on the ext card and the phone. There are my episodes etc. Everything is there on both places, duplicated.
    I installed BP again. But no! Still default empty cnn-episodes. I don't need that. I need my episodes back. At least I need my subscriptions back.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry things have gone awry.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Beta version 3.3.66 (or 3.30.66 for tablet) includes a simple transfer option from built in storage to external card (or vice versa) which you can access from the General Settings. However, you don't say what device you have, and you should be aware that Google seems hell bent on preventing non-system apps from having write access to the file system (except under very limited circumstances), and even the likes of Samsung are starting to comply, starting with the Note 3's KitKat update.

See the post immediately before yours for more details.

If it is possible to use the new file access mechanism that Google seem to be promoting (without actually telling developers about their plans), then BP will updated to do so as soon as possible, but in the meantime, you should be aware that if you get a system update, you may have to move everything back to built-in storage (if you have room).

As to BP recreating a BeyondPod folder on the internal storage, this may be because it determines that it can't write to your external card, or it may be that if you did it manually, you didn't completely exit BeyondPod and totally remove the BeyondPod folder on the built-in storage. If you use the beta version, BP sets everything that it needs to for it to work correctly (or refuses to let you move to external storage if it's not going to work).

If you first completely exit BeyondPod (by using the Exit button on the menu - just using the back button to exit is NOT enough), then delete your existing BP folder, and then move your entire (old) BP folder back from external to internal storage (leaving NO BeyondPod folder on the external SD), BP should recover back to where you were - or as close as you can get, assuming you are restoring an old database, and not the newly-created one. If you have a BeyondPod backup of your settings, recovering from that is another option.

From there, if you install the latest beta version, you can easily move your files to your external card if BP is going to be able to use it.

Julie

From the article on androidpolice, it seems BP should still have full read/write access to <external card>/Android/mobi.beyondpod. Do you see any problems with using the Advanced Menu to specify a folder under there to use?

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    Here is a recent Android Police article that explains in great details why some SD cards are (or may soon become) ReadOnly:

"External Blues: Google Has Brought Big Changes To SD Cards In KitKat, And Even Samsung Is Implementing Them"

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02...ementing-them/

If you read the "The Consequences" section at the bottom of the article, BeyondPod does request WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission so if your SD card is mounted as ReadOnly, it is allowed to:

• Read and write for any public folder on the primary (built-in) storage
    • Read (not write) for any public folder on the secondary (SD card) storage

That has not been a problem until recently but it seems like manufacturers are getting around to implement those restrictions in their future updates to KitKat. As the article points out (all or many) apps that retrieve content from the internet and store it locally are affected.

We are trying to see if using Google's Storage Access is practical for our purposes. It is mostly designed to read/save individual files so it may not work well for background downloads.

Until then, the only solution (other than rooting your device and making the SD card writable) is to move your download location to the internal SD card.

Because we are still allowed to read from the external SD card, you can put media files on it and BeyondPod can read them as a virtual feed, it just can't download there.

Stefan

BeyondPod Team
    Yes, <External SD Card>/Android/Data is indeed writable by 3rd party applications an can be used. The only caveat is that if you uninstall BeyondPod, everything that is stored there (feeds, settings and downloaded episodes) WILL BE DELETED so keep that in mind.

See this post: http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...ull=1#post8442
    for more information on how to set this up.

Stefan