Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stream episode links block download?

BeyondPod Team
    dom2114,

I am glad you find CDS functionality useful and thank you for your support. It is still evolving so any feedback is appreciated.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    sdp0et,

I am not sure why the download history does not get moved over. I did several experiments with backing up on one device and restoring on another and in all cases the download history moved correctly so there is may be something specific to your environment that I am missing. So let's try this experiment - hopefully it will narrow down what may be going wrong.
    1. On the phone, Uninstall BeyondPod.
    <snip>
    7. Open the same feed on the phone (so you see the list of episodes with download/re-download buttons). Are the same episodes that have "..." in the pushpin on the tablet have "re-download" on teh phone. Also all episodes that are read on the tablet should be also "read" on the phone.
    The episodes that I manually marked read (and therefore downloaded) transfer as downloaded (they offer the option to re-download on the phone, while the ones right before and after offer the "download", as expected. But, the "old" episodes in these feeds that were downloaded, listened to and deleted days, months or years ago are not correct. Some show the last X days or months as properly read/downloaded but ones before that are a mix of read/unread and downloaded/not downloaded (by far, most seem to have the correct "read" status, but not the correct "downloaded" status). Many of the feeds seem to be consistent going back a certain time, but then before that randomly distributed among the combinations of those flags. By consistent I meant that some number (arbitrary and different for each feed) of episodes going back from the current ones (the ones that were inserted as streaming) will be the same (read&downloaded, read&undownloaded, etc) but then that streak ends and episodes before that (again arbitrary and different for each feed) is "random".

Step #4 of your instructions seems to indicate that the backup/restore is doing history correctly, but that somehow my tablet's history is messed up. The installation folder on my tablet is old, so maybe there was a time that beyondpod was not marking episodes as expected, or maybe something got corrupted.

Almost all of my feeds are synched through Reader, so maybe Reader's heavy handed treatment of read flags based on time confused something along the way. When I start a new feed (new for me), I usually go back to episode 1 and listen through (sometimes this has resulted in my being 4-5 years behind). Since they come in as "read" by reader, I have had to reset the history on those feeds, and sometimes when BP couldn't detect duplicate episodes, I've had to manually toggle numbers of episodes manually.

I think that the issue is not related to Sync, and probably not even Backup/Restore. Likely, I've just had a long-term misunderstanding of how the read flag and downloaded flag interacted, and have been using BP "wrong".

I think my solution is going to be to use the multi-select on the tablet to "fix" it's history, and try another backup/restore once it's in the state I want. Unless you have another idea.

Edit: Are there plans to bring back manual download status on the tablet? Unless I use advanced option to ignore Reader's read flag, I can't do this on the table, and I really miss being able to setup an episode to re-download (say if accidentally skipped/erased or I just want to listen again) without manually redownloading it at that moment. I usually want it to happen during a scheduled automatic download. Conversely, Sometimes when I start a new feed (as explained above) I sometimes want to make episodes I know I will want to skip as already downloaded. Since Reader has these already read, I can't set these as already downloaded without either ignoring google's read flag or manually downloading and deleting the episode.

I do my feed management at work, where I don't have the internet access to manually download. Do I just need to ignore Reader's flag?
    Last edited by sdp0et; 05-10-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Stefan,

I really am not sure why I am having so much trouble after using BP for so long without any problems.
    This may need a separate thread because I am not sure if it is sync related.

I had updated to the .23 beta before doing your experiment. When it failed, I wiped BP from the phone again, go the tablet's state where I wanted it. I hit every feed, set all of them with any download history to retrieve only X episodes, where X was would include the currently downlaoded episode plus about 8-10 episodes already downloaded as a buffer. The feeds I had not yet started, or was very close to the beginning I left alone. I did a backup and restored on the phone.

On the phone, I went through each feed, and based on what would require the fewest number of long presses, marked all episodes in each feed as downloaded or not, then manually toggled the few at the beginning or end to get the devices in sync. As before, there were scattered episodes that had to be toggled as well, but eventallu I got the phone to be the same as the tablet. I then told the phone to update all feeds.

It worked fine for most feeds, but for some it just marked the epiodes that should have been downloaded as downloaded but did not actually retrieve the files. It did this for the number of episodes it was set to download for that feed. using "update" again just marked the next group of episodes without actually downloading the files. because this was on the phone, I was able to manually set them all as not downloaded and try again with the same results. I am able to manually download individual episodes just fine. The update log just says that there was nothing to download in those feeds. I can't see anything in the other logs.

The larger issue is that the same feeds did the same thing on the tablet overnight. I don't notice any feeds that did this one one device and not the other. The problem is that on the tablet, I can't manually set epsidoes to "not downloaded", so have to manually download the episodes.

The last month and a half has been pretty frustrating, as BP has been great for years. I have no idea how much of this might be growing pains, and how much is me, but I usually get along better with technology.

BeyondPod Team
    I looked over the code once again and the only thing that I can think of is that what you see is actually related to Google Reader. There is a logic that was left from some time ago (and I have forgotten) that will mark episodes as downloaded if the feed is synchronized with Google reader and the item was marked as "Read" in Reader. This logic was used at some point to do a "poor-man" synchronization - if the episode was played and marked as read, then other device would just mark it as "downloaded" and won't download it again. If this is the case, then all new episodes should work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    I looked over the code once again and the only thing that I can think of is that what you see is actually related to Google Reader. There is a logic that was left from some time ago (and I have forgotten) that will mark episodes as downloaded if the feed is synchronized with Google reader and the item was marked as "Read" in Reader. This logic was used at some point to do a "poor-man" synchronization - if the episode was played and marked as read, then other device would just mark it as "downloaded" and won't download it again. If this is the case, then all new episodes should work correctly.
    That is sort of how it worked for years. But it doesn't (didn't) check if it's currently marked as read, otherwise I'd never have been able to download anything over 30 days old. Nearly all my feeds are synched through google and this is only happening on a subset. A week ago, these episodes (some a year or more old and marked read by google) were still downloading. The only obvious (to me) thing that has changed was beta 22-> 23, since it started the right after that update and manually mass toggling feeds.

thanks for looking into in. I'll keep experimenting.

BeyondPod Team
    I can't think of anything that has changed between 22 to 23 to affect this (but with software everything is possible). As far as marking "read" as downloaded I was talking in my previous post - this affects only feeds posts that are marked as "read" by the user (not because they are >30 days old). When Google marks a post as "read" after 30 days, it uses a special flag to indicate that and BeyondPod has logic to exclude those from "marking as downloaded".

With Google reader going away at the end of next month this all interaction will become irrelevant (at least until we find a good replacement).

Stefan

Yeah, in theory that shouldn't change the flags on episodes that BP already know about, right?

BeyondPod Team
    It will change it to "Downloaded" (but not back to not-downloaded). The general logic is: (assuming a feed is set to download the last 3 episodes) Once the feed is updated, BP checks to see if any of the last 3 episodes is already downloaded, exist as "stream-able" or is in the download history (it was downloaded in the past and deleted). Any of the 3 episodes that passes the checks above is queued for download. If the feed is not synced with Reader, those episodes are downloaded. If the feed is synced, BP does one additional check to see if the Reader "read" flag for the feed is set to "read" and just marks the episode as "downloaded" and skips the download. It then downloads whatever is left for download.

With the logic above episodes will NOT be automatically downloaded only if any of the following conditions is true:

1. Episode is "below" the number of episodes to download. If the feed is set to download the last 3 episodes, episodes after (older than) the 3rd will not be downloaded regardless if they were ever downloaded before.
    2. Episode already exists (as downloaded or stream-able)
    3. Episode is in the download history.
    4. Feed is set to sync with Reader and the reader item is marked as "read" (this applies only to items that are manually marked as "read" by the user, not by Reader itself).

Stefan