Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Majority of Downloaded Episodes Will Not Play. Locked on "Resume Download"

Majority of Downloaded Episodes Will Not Play. Locked on "Resume Download"

I have gone through the knowledge base and could not find anything similar to this. Out of 22 feeds only 4 will currently play.

I own the full version of BeyondPod and have purchased an unlock key. I am trying to run it on a Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T) from a 64 GB internal SD card.

BeyondPod was running beautifully until this weekend when I rebooted my phone for the first time and noticed that BeyondPod couldn't find any episodes, although they all still showed up in their feeds. After reading some forums, I realized that my default directory had reverted to the internal SD card since my phone takes about 2 minutes to prepare the external SD card after booting. After reestablishing the correct directory, going into advanced settings and selecting to lock to the current directory seemed to solve the problem. It was fine for a few days even with reboots.

Although I don't remember changing any settings, today, I noticed that nearly all of my feeds will not play. It says that episodes are downloaded; however, each episode in these feeds says "Resume Download" and shows a small padlock. Long-pressing the episode and selecting "unlock episode" does nothing. Tapping resume download is strange because it seems to check the episode and claim it is 100% downloaded. After a few seconds, it reverts to 0% and redownloads the episode. I can then play that single episode, but the rest in the feed still have a podlock and say "Resume Download". This seems to be a solution; however, the usefulness of this app greatly diminishes if I have to manually redownload each episode every time I restart the phone. Here is a screenshot of what most of my feeds look like.

I do want to make it clear that until today all of these episodes were fully downloaded and none stated "Resume Download". So, I do not think any download error, lost connection, etc. was a problem.

The interesting part is that the episodes have downloaded properly. And, by long pressing and going to play in external player, they can all play in any external player. So, it appears that BeyondPod does know that the episode is downloaded and has the correct path to it. So, BeyondPod is now functioning more as a download manager, and I am using other applications to play the podcasts it still downloads with no problem.

Also, 4 feeds are functioning fine. They show the correct episodes and clicking on them starts any of the episodes right up. If it were every feed, as it was briefly last weekend, it would make more sense...but with some feeds working fine...this really has me puzzled.

I have checked the error logs and cannot find any errors. All feeds appear to be healthy. And, on the feeds screen, it shows the correct number of downloaded episodes on the right.

How can I play these episodes within BeyondPod? It is frustrating to have to use a secondary application to play all the episodes it downloaded.

Check around all of the places where you might have a rogue BeyondPod folder to make sure things aren't confused, even with the location Locked Down.

Also, can you delete and re-download any episodes?

I ran a search on my phone, and it is finding only the one beyondpod folder. It doesn't seem to be creating a new file. And since I can click any episode and play it in an external player, it seems to be linking to the correct folder.

Yes, if I click the resume download button it checks the episode displays 100% downloaded for about 5 seconds and then goes back to 0 and starts redownloading it. After this has finished, the episode shows as unlocked and plays normally. However, doing this manually for all episodes of the 22 podcasts in my feed on a regular basis is a bit more work than I want to put in.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    The only thing I can think of is that your SD card may be corrupt. The easiest way to recover would be to copy everything off, reformat, and copy it all back on again. As long as the phone is switched off for the duration, BP should just pick everything up again once you've done it. (Since you say you're running from a 64GB card, I assume you mean you've got your BeyondPod folder there, which means it should be at /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod.)

I know it doesn't seem to make sense that you can still play the episodes in an external player, but they presumably don't care what the filesize claims to be. Resume Download in your screenshot means that the reported file size on the phone is less that BeyondPod expects it to be. I'm guessing that you're stuck in a "loop" where you can't download because the entire file contents are already there, but the file system is reporting the filesize to be less than reality.

Julie

I'm having the exact same problem. I've been using beyondpod since the start of the year and it has been flawless, but over the past couple of days I've been getting this "resume download" bug. I say bug only because the .mp3 file is fine and will play in an external player. It just started happening which is very frustrating. I took the time to fix the ones that I could and they are now broken again in less than 12 hours. At this point, it looks like I will only be able to use the player as an index and download manager. If it can't be fixed I'll be forced to look for alternatives and believe me, I don't want to start that process again since beyondpod had exactly the features I wanted.

Glad someone else is having this problem.
    Formatting the card didn't work for me. I am still having the resume download problem.
    Extremely frustrating since I paid so much for this after trying out all the other podcast apps.
    If the file size is the problem, they really need to add an option to "force recheck" for all podcast sizes/lengths.
    Anyone have any other suggestions to try?

I also submitted a support ticket a week ago and have not heard back yet.
    I assumed with a pay app like this the support would be great but am not very impressed yet. Are they normally pretty good about getting back to you on support tickets?

Sumi,
    I was really panicked when this starting happening. I started to look at other apps to handle my podcasts, but I really like Beyondpod so I decided to hold back and see what happens. While hacking at it I discovered that for the ones that get marked "resume download" I could still hit the add to playlist button! If you simply hit the big icon, as you must already know, you get the playlist empty screen. But if you hit the "add to playlist" button (symbol to the right of the trash can) it actually adds the episode to the playlist and allows you to play it within beyondpod with all the bookmarking benefits! Once added to the playlist, you need to get to the playlist by hitting the button in the upper right with the displaying a number. (Sorry, I don't know how to make a screenshot.) For me - this is acceptable. But I still hope they can get to the root of the problem.

Thanks for the response, drt.

You are right. I hadn't tried this, but it also worked for me. Adding them to the playlist works, and they can then play in the widget and etc. The odd thing is even while it's playing, it still shows the "resume download" text for the playing episode. And if I pause it and try to play another and then come back to it (with it not in the playlist) it will not play again. This is obviously some bug, and I hope they fix it.

Thanks for the temporary workaround, but I also hope that they fix it. Does anyone know the best way to submit a bug report to get an actual response and a possible fix? The work ticket seemed to just go poof and not get sent to an "actual" person.

I have noticed that recent downloads seem to working OK...

BeyondPod Team
    sumi, drt,

Does this happen to all feeds or just some feeds?. Also does this happen to old episodes only or to any episode you download?
    One thing that could help diagnose this issue is any of you can send to our support e-mail (support AT beyondpod.mobi) a backup of your BeyondPod installation (Menu > More > Settings > Backup and Restore > Backup).

Stefan