Thread: Problem with saving podcasts into external SD

Exclamation Problem with saving podcasts into external SD

Not sure if anyone has reported this before, but I have been having some intermittent problems with saving podcasts to external SD Card.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (I-9100) and a Kinston Class 4 32GB MicroSD card. When I set the save directory to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd (this is SGS2's mount point for external SD), I have encountered a few problems.

1. Very frequently, BeyondPod would try to recreate the original folder /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod. I started to notice this when BP lost all the podcast covers, and upon checking the environment info, I see details like this:
    BP location on SD: /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod, Exists: true
    BP location on Optional: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/BeyondPod, Exists: true
    BP will use: /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod

Please note that prior to using the external SD card as the location, I have already removed /mnt/sdcard/BeyondPod. And I have also verified in Environment Info that BP had started to use the external SD card location.

Not sure if this could contribute to this problem - I restart my phone quite frequently (like once a day) to swap the batteries (I have 2 spares). My earlier suspicion was the widget trying to access the podcasts too early after the phone reboots but hasn't mounted the external SD card, but removing the widget doesn't help.

2. Battery drain. When my podcasts are stored in the external SD, I noticed the battery goes down much faster. I use BetterBatteryStats and found "suspend" and "event/0" topping the chart of processes draining the most battery power. Things go back to normal once I give up storing the podcasts in the external SD.

It's quite unlikely that I have a faulty SD card. It seems to work perfectly with other applications (for example, I store all my songs in the external SD and PowerAMP has never given me any errors).

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by amazoom View Post
    ... It's quite unlikely that I have a faulty SD card. It seems to work perfectly with other applications (for example, I store all my songs in the external SD and PowerAMP has never given me any errors). Any ideas?
    Strongly recommend you test your SD card with a PC using (free) H2TestW. Or you could try SD Card Tester on your device, but I cannot vouch for how good a job it does.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]