Thread: 3g for only select small podcasts.eg. hourly updates like news.EVERYTHING else wifi

Unhappy 3g for only select small podcasts.eg. hourly updates like news.EVERYTHING else wifi

FInally had to give up my unlimited data.

PLEASE consider giving people more options with receiving podcasts automatically.

I would like to come out of work and hear NPR top of the hour with a simple press of smartplay.

Not have to fiddle with manual updates and warnings for something I want to do every day.

If I want that one simple podcast I have to leave myself open to total data abuse from all the other podcasts.

I do not want anything else to use up my data. One might say, use auto update for categories during the evening when you are on home wifi?

What about if I am not home that night? What if my lousy verizon modem isn't working and a couple of lifehacker video podcast eat each every bit of data I have for the month?

With data becoming so restrictive, not having the ablility to have full control over data or wifi per podcast really can limit the enjoyment of the app ...

If anybody has any other ideas that I can safe guard my data if beyond doesnt see the merit of this issue, perhaps another app for data/wifi ...but not another podcast app. I love my beyondpod!!

Long time user,
    Thanks

Wally

We should all demand that the phone companies offer unlimited data plans with lower prices and lower data rates. I certainly don't need download speeds in the megabytes to fetch a podcast or download email that I'm not going to pay any attention to for hours. I'm in reach of free WiFi most of the day if I need higher speeds.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/

Data prices

This is going rather off topic, but it's interesting how things differ from country to county. In the UK it's not difficult to get unlimited data deals. I pay 12 per month for mine, from GiffGaff (which uses the O2 network) on a Pay As You Go basis (i.e. no contract tie-in at all). If I want tethering, I can get it from Three for 25 per month on a rolling 30 day contract. To be fair, these two are SIM-only deals (i.e. no phone subsidies included), and are not typical, but the situation is so different from the apparent stranglehold that the US carriers seem to have. Coverage does vary from network to network, but they overlap much more than seems to be the case in the US from what I can gather - you can reasonably expect similar coverage from all of them, except for a few black holes from place to place - like the black hole in Three's coverage for a 100m radius around my house.

On the other hand, if you want LTE, it's only been available for a few months, and so far only on one network. Prices are still stupid, and so far it's only available on 2 year contracts, with (very) limited data limits, and restricted to a small number of major cities.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    PLEASE consider giving people more options with receiving podcasts automatically.
    It's certainly something that can be considered. However, as with all feature requests, the complexity of the code and testing must be balanced against the number of people who will benefit from any given feature.

If enough people are interested in being able to set download rules on a per feed basis, then it may be implemented in a future version.

Julie