Thread: Galaxy S 4 SD Card Download

Galaxy S 4 SD Card Download

I am a newbie. Is there a way to choose the SD Card to download podcast s to?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Welcome to BeyondPod and the forum.
    Yes you can keep your podcasts on external storage (I keep mine on my external SD card on my S3).

See How to change the location of downloaded podcasts in the FAQs

The really important part is to make sure that the BeyondPod folder on your built-in storage is completely removed before you restart BeyondPod after you've moved your files. Otherwise, BP won't see the folder on your external card at all.

Julie

I'm sitting here moving about 5 gigs worth of podcasts over to my sd card for probably the 5th time and thought I'd google "beyondpod galaxy s4 sd card" and found this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    The really important part is to make sure that the BeyondPod folder on your built-in storage is completely removed before you restart BeyondPod after you've moved your files. Otherwise, BP won't see the folder on your external card at all.
    Is there any reason for this behavior? I'm a programmer but admittedly not familiar with the android eco-system so I don't know if this is following some guideline, but it just seems weird to me that this auto-discover method is the only way to do it.

Why is there not just some simple configuration UI option like some other apps have that let me specify the BeyondPod root folder?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Part of the issue is that Google have made it clear that they want to discourage the whole idea of external storage, and this means that every manufacturer has invented its own path to an external SD card (if it has a card slot), and there's no way to discover what it is except by learning (from people who buy the device and report what it is) what path each manufacturer chooses and coding BP to look for it specifically. BeyondPod has already learned a lot of paths to external cards, and looks for a BeyondPod folder in every one of those on first startup. If it finds one it recognises, it uses it, and no further action is required. If Google would just accept the concept of external storage for those devices that want to use it, and come up with a consistent naming convention for the path to external storage devices, it would be a whole lot simpler.

The other part of the equation is that historically, all BeyondPod data files, including other files in addition to the podcast folders, have been kept together in a single BeyondPod parent folder, and by the time you get to specify a path, you've already created a BeyondPod folder on the default (usually internal, these days) path with other necessary data files in it.

Work is being done to improve this situation, and it IS now possible to change the download path for individual feeds (at least as of the latest beta, 3.x.45). I haven't tried it, but I expect to find that this will start downloading new podcasts to the new location, without moving any existing podcasts that have already been downloaded. Implementing a file manager (with all the issues of what happens if there is an interruption to moving files from one location to another before the transfer is complete, and what BeyondPod does about the files that have failed to move) is not something that the Dev team really want to implement in BeyondPod. Transferring files isn't a big deal when it all goes smoothly. It's handling the multitude of possible error situations that will take the development effort.

Moving files to external storage is
    a) not even possible on an increasingly large number of devices, and
    b) something that generally only gets done as a one-off exercise anyway
    Because of this, the effort involved is high for the relatively low benefit (in terms of the number of users who can use it, and the number of times even those users will need to use it), which means those resources are taken away from implementing changes which would benefit a much larger proportion of the user base.

There are definitely improvements that can be made though, and these are on the ToDo list (and, in the case of being able to specify a download folder for a particular feed, already in place).

HTH
    Julie