Thread: Using BeyondPod whilst driving

Your great app is my audio/radio lead app in my phone i'm also recommend it to everyone to all my friends.

1. Most of the use is in the car so i suggest "Dashboard state" (big buttons, disabling lock screen, maybe also auto BT connection) like other music apps has.

2. While driving it's so complicated to ff (fast forward) the podcast. I need to turn on the screen & to press on the widget button, it will be great if I'll able to define the volume buttons to ff the podcast.

I also listen to it with my BT (Sony DR-BTN200M) headphones but the ff/rewind buttons do nothing - if it will

support, it will be great.

Tomer

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by t0410 View Post
    1. Most of the use is in the car so i suggest "Dashboard state" (big buttons, disabling lock screen, maybe also auto BT connection) like other music apps has.
    In landscape mode, the target area for the buttons is actually MUCH larger than the buttons look.
    In portrait mode, the episode artwork also acts as an enormous Play/Pause button.

2. While driving it's so complicated to ff (fast forward) the podcast. I need to turn on the screen & to press on the widget button, it will be great if I'll able to define the volume buttons to ff the podcast.
    When I'm driving, my phone is always in an active mount, and I have BeyondPod set to not turn off the screen whilst playing if it's charging (Menu | More... | Settings | General Settings | Screen timeout), so I never have to switch on / unlock the phone first.

I also listen to it with my BT (Sony DR-BTN200M) headphones but the ff/rewind buttons do nothing
    Assuming your headset sends standard commands to your phone, you can set up an association between your headset buttons and BeyondPod actions in the Player Settings (Menu | More... | Settings | Player Settings | Enable Headset Button, and also Headset Button Actions).

HTH
    Julie

I would advise a little caution if you plan on using the 'screen always on' option if you drive a lot.

I drive for my job and use BP throughout the day (circa 60k miles a year) and used to have the screen on full brightness to be able to read it clearly in bright sunlight.
    After about 3 or 4 months I noticed a ghost image on my screen (galaxy s2) of the BP rw/play/ff/end buttons.

It's not a major problem to me but for static images on your screen put the brightness down midway in case your screen is capable of the same problem.

Perhaps it could be a BP option, dim the screen to xx% brightness after xx minutes inactivity (but leave the screen on) or show a warning if the screen is always on.

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for the cautionary tale, but I've always found it far too distracting to have the screen at full brightness in the car (unless it's very sunny), and I can't see any sign of ghosting on my Galaxy S3 after a year's use. I rarely drive anywhere without listening to podcasts, albeit with rather less mileage involved.

BP's Screen Timeout options (mentioned in my previous post) can already set the screen brightness after a certain amount of time, and settings include Dim (if charging) and Always Dim. Alternatively, you can choose Use Device Default and either set it manually, set it on Automatic (in the device's System Settings), or have Tasker (or similar) set a brightness appropriate to your situation.

My phone screen in general is set (by Tasker) not to time out when charging, which means I can switch to other apps whilst driving, and if so, either switch back to BeyondPod to pause, play, skip etc., or use the transport controls in the notification bar.

As yet another option, particularly if your device is set not to switch the screen off when charging anyway, Overlays allows you to "float" a widget on top of another application. This can be useful for overlaying the BeyondPod widget on top of Maps/Navigation, for instance. The Pro version allows you to associate a widget with another app (so you can automatically float the BP widget over Maps, for instance), or to have Widget Shortcuts - a way to "minimise" a widget to an icon, so that you can hide the widget if you need to see more of the main app's display, just by tapping on any part of the screen outside the widget. The size and position of both the overlaid widget and overlaid icon are independently configurable.
    (Note, at the moment - as of Overlays version 1.1.1 - Overlays doesn't report back the widget size, so only the default 4x1 widget is currently available; stretching it to 4x2 doesn't change the widget layout, because Overlays doesn't tell BeyondPod that it's changed.)

HTH
    Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 08-01-2013 at 02:34 AM.

As another option, I use Tasker to use the proximity sensor to turn on the screen when I'm driving. That way, I can leave the screen off normally (and let it timeout normally), but simply wave my hand over it to wake it instead of messing with the button.

That said, I really wish the text on the playback screen were actually *white* instead of gray. It's a whole lot harder to read this way.

And while I'm dreaming, I wish that forward, back, and play/pause could be entered as gestures (swipes) instead of taps in particular places. It seems like that would be much easier to enter with less precision.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by adamlopresto View Post
    And while I'm dreaming, I wish that forward, back, and play/pause could be entered as gestures (swipes) instead of taps in particular places. It seems like that would be much easier to enter with less precision.
    It's a nice idea, but swipe up/down already switches between Playlist and Player views (at least if you start at the bottom/top of the main portion of the screen respectively), and swipe left already takes you to the Episodes view.

I'm not sure what swipe action would make sense for play/pause (and as I've said, in portrait mode, the artwork - which is a huge proportion of the screen and difficult to miss - acts as a giant play/pause button anyway).

In landscape mode, the hot spot for each button is two-to-three times the width of the drawn button (i.e. you can miss by almost the entire width of the button, and it'll still work). However, if the buttons were drawn that big, they couldn't be circular without impinging on space used for other information.

Julie