Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

Please add an option to include played items in SmartPlay.

Sometimes I'll be listening to many episodes on a long trip using SmartPlay from a variety of different feeds, and while driving I can't mark an episode I want to hear later as a favorite or easily go back to it once my trip is over and if the smartlist gets rebuilt, I now need to know which feed it came out of, figure out which episode it was (not all episode titles are indicative of the subject matter) and search through that feed to find it; and with the large number of feeds I have--it usually isn't easy.

It would great if I could configure my SmartPlay to include previously played items when building the playlist but start playing the first non-played one (or episode that was currently being played, keep that option), then I can easily reference one that I listened to share, favorite, or do something with.

And, in the usual case there is nothing I want to go back to after my trip is over, I then go to all feeds and select "delete played" which frees up the space on my device and would also clear them out of my SmartPlay. I imagine most people will prefer SmartPlay's current functionality of skipping played items when the list rebuilds, so I beg you to please add an option (perhaps buried under advanced settings menu somewhere) that will let me tell SmartPlay to include (but skip) previously played episodes.

Thank you for listening.

Sort & filter feature in the smart rule

My request for the smart rule is quite simple but for me it'll have great consequences:
    Could you please add the sort & filter features which are already in place in the podcast list?

I could use this in different scenarios
    Let me gave a few examples:
    1) I would like to make a smart rule for all the downloaded videos. And I want to view them chronologically......
    (Or something like that )

2) And then I use another rule for listening in my car. I would only like to listen to the podcasts that specific category.... (already in place)

3) When listening to my audiobooks (virtual feeds): it would be great if I could say that those are sorted by author, series, title, chapter, ..... Now the audio books sometimes end up in random order and I have to sort/remove files to make it into a complete book. (I must say that Beyondpod is still the best way to listen to a audio book. This would only make even better)

4) The smart rule playlist does not handle pictures and YouTube videos in a rss feeds. Although I want to read the article I don't want it ending up in my smart rule. (Or..... Make it so that it can handle those YouTube videos..... )

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Erik050572; 10-18-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neilschelly View Post
    I'd like to be able to make the playlists filter out Favorite episodes. If I mark an episode a Favorite, it means I've already seen it, and I don't want it to show up in my usual playlist anymore.

Also, it might also be convenient also to make a list that is all my favorite episodes, to make them easier to find when I look for them.

Perhaps this is just a "Filter" option added to the configuration of the list, where you have things like Favorites only, Only not Favorites, Unread only, Only read episodes, and other options along those lines.
    -N
    I'd like to reiterate these requests. I'm an Android Auto user, and all the podcasts I've listened to before, but marked as Favorites are inaccessible to me. I can go into the app, mark them unread, and then rebuild my smartlist to find them, but that's a pain.

Again, my focus above is more about making playlists more flexible to automate the playlists I want to have accessible to me. That's even more important in the Android Auto user interface where it's intentionally not possible to browse all the episodes. Maybe having an additional menu item in Android Auto that only shows Favorites would actually be an easier approach to resolving my issues if you don't want to play with the playlist functionality?

I'm already a paying user, but I'd pay more for this functionality if that option is available. Please?
    -N

Quote Originally Posted by neilschelly View Post
    I'd like to be able to make the playlists filter out Favorite episodes. If I mark an episode a Favorite, it means I've already seen it, and I don't want it to show up in my usual playlist anymore.

Also, it might also be convenient also to make a list that is all my favorite episodes, to make them easier to find when I look for them.

Perhaps this is just a "Filter" option added to the configuration of the list, where you have things like Favorites only, Only not Favorites, Unread only, Only read episodes, and other options along those lines.
    -N
    I'd like to reiterate my support for the above features, with a slightly different use case. I'm a heavy Android Auto user. I cannot access my Favorites while driving at all. I would really like to be able to make a playlist of my favorites so I can get to them somewhat easily. This could also just be a menu item called Favorites that just starts playing only those episodes.

Really, I'm all about making playlists more flexible. Maybe there's someway to just make a manual playlist? It'd be a bit tougher for me to manage, but it would let me create a playlist of those episodes and manage it manually at least?

My original request quoted above would also do everything I need. I'm already a paying user, but I'll pay more if it'd help get this feature to happen.
    -Neil

Hi, this is my 1st post even using BP for quite some time.
    What I would like to have in the future is a rule/setting per PC managing episodes below a certain lenght.
    Some PC's provide a long and the multiple short episodes which in summary is the same. Like German Weltspiegel or Motor Mobil.
    If I could e.g. automatically set the short as played only the full PC would remain and being put on my playlist.

Hope it's understandable

Thx
    Ralf

It would be very nice if we could add conditionals to the smart play. Specifically, I'd like to be able to set something up like

Latest 1 episode Category: News
    If at least 1 episode STOP
    Oldest 1 episode Category: Backlog

Then by default I can listening to time-sensitive stuff first and automatically to other stuff only when that runs out. Currently I have to manage that manually by keeping track of how much stuff is available in my playlists and strategically timing my downloads. It would be great if the smart play feature could take care of that for me.

Why not group your time-sensitive feeds together in a category, and put 50 of that category as the first entry in your smartplay? I don't use the categories as actual subjects, I use the two for each feed as SmartPlay groups, and update timings.

That idea doesn't work because new time-sensitive podcasts will continue to be downloaded after items in my backlog are already queued. Suppose I have one time-sensitive item right now and start my smartplay. It'll queue up that and something from my backlog. Before I finish the podcast, another time-sensitive item is downloaded. I want that to be what I listen to next, but instead it'll be a backlog item.

Set the smartplay program to play the newest 50 (or whatever) episodes of your real-time category. That way, new downloads will be put at the beginning of the playlist that gets rebuilt after an update.

And make sure that auto-rebuild after download is enabled. You can even toggle to keep the currently playing episode as the first one regardless of if it rebuilds...then have the rebuilt go after it to your rules.

It's not intuitive necessarily, it's taken me a few years of playing with settings to get it to work. Now that it works, it's the only reason I haven't moved on, there is so much customizing you can do to get it the way you want.