Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skip intro of episodes ("Skip first n seconds")

Skip intro of episodes ("Skip first n seconds")

Hi,

I listen to a daily podcast that - like many other padcasts - has a short intro before the actual content. "Bla bla bla, you are listinging to, bla bla bla". That intro is 21 seconds long, on every single podcast and I assume I heard it 500+ times. It would be really nice, if there would be an advanced setting per podcast to skip the first n seconds.

Would not be hard to implement, but could save a lot of us a lot of listing time.

Klaus

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    It's something I'd like for some of my feeds too (and some of them have a closing theme tune that I'd also be more than happy to skip automatically).

It is something that we've already discussed, but I'm not sure where it sits on the priority / ease of implementation list - although, as you say, technically it shouldn't be that difficult.

But when all's said and done, it would be yet ANOTHER option :-).

Julie

Yes, you're right - it would be yet another option. But a really helpful one, that makes podcast with annoying intros less annoying.

So, PLEASE consider adding that option.

I'd certainly use it. I never get through a playlist, and StableSpeed already helps; this would help as well. It's often not convenient to pull out my tablet, swipe once or twice, then hit the lockscreen's >| button; I've already set that for the best "skip the intro" time.

Some of my favorite podcasts have really annoying theme music and formulaic intros, and I already know that when the music hits this or that riff, tapping >| will skip the worst of it...

BeyondPod Team
    It probably will be possible in future versions, by way of a "special handling" option in the feed, which would allow you to pick from a menu of things you can do, and how long to do them for (e.g. skip first / 22 seconds, or skip last / 5 seconds).

Julie

Has there been any implementation of this? I've been extremely jealous of iPhone podcast apps that have had this feature forever! I've been a loyal beyondpod user for 5 years and have been patiently waiting for this feature to finally hit the betas.

It's certainly on my wishlist.

BeyondPod Team
    Curiously, we were talking about it at our meeting this week (and I was pushing, so we were discussing how we could use an existing field in the feed to implement a quick and dirty version to test the practicalities, similar to the one we initially had for volume boost). Hopefully it'll be coming to a beta version near you (and me!) soon.

A nice friendly UI for it will take a bit longer .

Julie

Something like the alpha version of volume boost would certainly be good enough.

Yeah, that would be a killer feature. But as I can see, that's asked since 2013...