Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet:
    I would like to see a smartplay list that plays podcasts or categories based on priorities.

So it would check the first podcast or category see if there are any episodes there. If yes, plays, if no proceeds to the next podcast or priority. You can give podcasts equal priority by putting them in the same category.

So in my case, I have a category for my daily podcasts which is top priority, than a category for my important weekly podcasts, and than a category for my less important weekly podcasts.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it already works like that, and that's how I have (one of) my SmartPlay lists arranged, i.e. play all (or a desired number) of episodes from my top priority category, then move to my next highest priority category, etc.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it already works like that, and that's how I have (one of) my SmartPlay lists arranged, i.e. play all (or a desired number) of episodes from my top priority category, then move to my next highest priority category, etc.

Julie
    No, the Smartplay will pull X number of episodes from whatever feed or categories and in whatever order and build a playlist.

What I would like is something where it will play my daily podcasts and keep playing daily podcasts until it runs out. Once it runs out of my daily podcasts, than it will move to my weekly podcasts (but it won't even add my weekly podcasts to the playlist until I'm out of daily podcasts). I'm using the terms daily and weekly podcasts for my specific use case.

Right now I have my main smartplay list which I think I have set for like 50 episodes for my daily, but like in the evening during the week, new episodes from my daily category will download while I'm still listening to others. Normally on Saturday I'll get caught up w/ my daily episodes throughout the week and I'll proceed to my weekly episodes.

When you make changes to the Smartplay lists, do not get rid of mobi.beyondpod.command.UPDATE_SMART_PLAY.

To conserve battery power, I actually have smartplay lists 00, 01, 02, ... 20, 21, 22, 23 to correspond to the hours of the day and for most of my daily podcasts, I use Automagic4Android and if my cell phone is plugged in, my phone does a full update every 15 minutes, but if on battery, my phone only checks the podcasts that are to be checked during that hour. Really a nice feature (on battery, my phone ends up checking 2-3 feeds most hours instead of the full list which many don't need to be checked every hour). (=

Also while mobi.beyondpod.command.PLAY_NEXT is listed on the API help page, I don't see the extended options for that list. Can you provide more info on that one?

So, let me see if I've heard you correctly: you want to exhaust all of the daily podcasts (including updates while listening) before moving on to weekly, but stick in weekly until they're exhausted, even if new daily episodes get downloaded?

Hmm... perhaps we need a SmartPlay action that takes place when the end of a category is reached, rather than just when the end of an episode or playlist, with 'update category' available, then conditionally revisiting the category if it isn't empty.

Personally, I let BP rebuild the playlist after an update, but I update the dailies only four times a day, and I update the weeklies overnight, and not all of them every night. For that, I'd really like to be able to pick the *days* of an update; some feeds update like clockwork and there's no need to update them except once a week on the right day.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ITechGeek View Post
    Right now I have my main smartplay list which I think I have set for like 50 episodes for my daily, but like in the evening during the week, new episodes from my daily category will download while I'm still listening to others. Normally on Saturday I'll get caught up w/ my daily episodes throughout the week and I'll proceed to my weekly episodes.
    In that case, I would suggest two separate Smart Play lists - a Daily and a Weekly.
    If you make the Daily the default one, it'll get updated automatically when you do an update (assuming you have that option enabled).

Any SmartPlay list will update when you open it, so you can switch to your Weekly smartplay when you've exhausted the Daily one, and it will pull in all the weekly episodes for you.

HTH
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ITechGeek View Post
    When you make changes to the Smartplay lists, do not get rid of mobi.beyondpod.command.UPDATE_SMART_PLAY.
    We don't have any plans to.

Also while mobi.beyondpod.command.PLAY_NEXT is listed on the API help page, I don't see the extended options for that list. Can you provide more info on that one?
    I don't believe there are any. It simply skips to the next episode that's already in your play list.

Julie

Lightbulb Maximise diversity from a set of feeds

All I have ever wanted for my podcast player is an algorithm that does this:

1) For each of my feeds, work out how many are still "unread".
    2) Interleave the feeds, to maximise the spread of the episodes - i.e. so I don't get concentrated clumps of one podcast in a row.
    3) But play them in the order they appear in the feed.

For example, If I have 5 unread from feed A, 3 unread from feed B, and 3 unread from feed C, they should play something like: A B C A B A C A B C A. Obviously, I need to listen to more A than B or C, but I shouldn't listen to two A episodes in a row, if it can be helped.

Back in 2007, when I had an iPod, I implemented this myself. Here are some notes:
    http://www.somethinkodd.com/oddthink...ithm-solution/

I found that finding the *perfect* playlist was difficult, but coming up with a heuristic that got close wasn't too bad.

When I bought BeyondPod, I thought SmartPlay would allow me to do something like this, but I can't see how.

BeyondPod Team
    Simplistically, you could use

Start with
    1 Oldest episode from Feed A
    Then play
    1 Oldest episode from Feed B
    Then play
    1 Oldest episode from Feed C

and in the Playlist Settings se t When Playlist Ends to be Restart SmartPlay

That would result in A B C A B C A C A C A A
    if you have 6 (or more) unplayed episodes in Feed A, 2 episodes in Feed B and 4 in Feed C

That does result in two in a row from Feed A, but only at the very end of your playlist when you've got nothing else left to play anyway.

You could probably get more intelligent about it by assigning Feeds to categories based on how frequent they are / how many you typically might expect to have unread at any given time, and go for something like

Start with
    1 Oldest episode from Most Frequent Category
    Then play
    1 Oldest episode from Medium Frequency Category
    Then play
    Then play
    Then play
    Then play
    1 Oldest episode from Least Frequent Category
    Then play
    Then play

Note that this doesn't govern which FEED you'll get the next episode from, so if your frequencies were something like Daily, Weekly and Monthly/Fortnightly, with Feeds A,B and C in Daily, L,M,N in Weekly and X,Y,Z in the Least frequent category, this could potentially give you a pattern something like
    A,L,B,M,C,X,A,N etc

Alternatively, you could do
    Start with
    2 Oldest episodes from Most Frequent Category
    2 Oldest episodes from Most Frequent Category
    1 Oldest episode from Least Frequent Category

which would give you
    A,B,L,C,A,M,X etc

Hope this helps
    Julie

You can also help Julie's category scheme work better by limiting downloads to a single episode at a time for any feed, so that you *never* get multiple episodes of the same feed in the playlist at a time. Some feeds keep their entire backlog available, others prune at various rates, depending on the publisher's whim. eg, NPR's hourly news only ever has one episode posted, some BBC feeds keep only two episodes, Escape Pod keeps something like two years of stories.