Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    If you don't already use both categories for your feeds, you can create a Favorites category and a one-entry SmartPlay list for it.
    Unless I misunderstand this won't fulfil the request as a "favorite" is per-episode, not per-feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    Also, you can add as many individual feed rules, in your chosen order, to a SmartPlay list as you want.
    I use only one smartplay list for ~100 feeds, with a complex set of rules to order the feeds. I'd specifically like to add a favorite'd item as a smartplay rule.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    There are two ways to specify Favourites - one is per episode, as you say, and the other is to remove the tick for Allow Episodes Deletions in the feed settings. (Basically, the intention for both methods is to prevent played episodes from being automatically deleted.)

The other issue with Favourites, of course, is that any automatic Playlist generation, whether SmartPlay or AutoPlay, will only include episodes that are marked as Unplayed. So played episodes that are marked as Favourites wouldn't be included anyway, unless you manually mark them as unplayed.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    As you're looking to mark as Favourite before playing, another workflow to achieve this might be to set the feeds that you pick and choose from to be Stream latest <n>, rather than Download latest <n>, and then only download the ones you decide you want to play. (You'd also want to set Player Settings | Streaming Preferences to Never, so that SmartPlay doesn't put the episodes you haven't selected in your play list.)

Julie

What is the advantage of "Stream latest" with streaming set to never over just "Download manually"?

BeyondPod Team
    You'll get a single list (in All Feeds) or whatever Categorised lists you want of all the latest episodes in "My Episodes" which you can either Download or Mark as Read, depending on whether you want to listen to them or not. i.e. you don't have to go into each feed in turn to download manually.

Recently I realized how wonderful the Smartplaylist feature is. I hadn't dug very deep into it and didn't realize I could specify individual feeds into it. This feature is gold. When I discover a new podcast, I may want to listen from the beginning. Now I can do that without having to rearrange the list constantly. Also, this feature allows me to maintain 2 sets of podcasts(Audio for listening on the go, and Video for streaming at home) on my Pixel.

I do have some suggestions.

Can we get the option for selecting Oldest as default when building the smart playlist?

Also, while scrolling through it, it's VERY easy for my fingers to start unintentionally selecting options for each rule (# of episodes to load, feed, etc).

Is it possible to determine a default for the primary category of a podcast? For instance, I don't want my video podcasts (Category: Vodcast) to download, I want them to stream in order, 999 episodes. My audio podcasts (Tech, Science, News, etc) I do want to be downloaded.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

I'd like to be able to make the playlists filter out Favorite episodes. If I mark an episode a Favorite, it means I've already seen it, and I don't want it to show up in my usual playlist anymore.

Also, it might also be convenient also to make a list that is all my favorite episodes, to make them easier to find when I look for them.

Perhaps this is just a "Filter" option added to the configuration of the list, where you have things like Favorites only, Only not Favorites, Unread only, Only read episodes, and other options along those lines.
    -N

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by neilschelly View Post
    I'd like to be able to make the playlists filter out Favorite episodes. If I mark an episode a Favorite, it means I've already seen it, and I don't want it to show up in my usual playlist anymore.
    SmartPlay won't ever add an episode that's been played to a Play list, so that's happening already - unless you're marking episodes as Favourites BEFORE you play them? (The primary intention of marking an episode as a Favourite is to prevent it from being automatically deleted after playing.)

Also, it might also be convenient also to make a list that is all my favorite episodes, to make them easier to find when I look for them.
    You can do that by going to All Feeds | My Episodes | Three dot menu | Filter | Favourites. Again, as these episodes will have been marked Played, a Smart Play list would not include them anyway.

HTH
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    SmartPlay won't ever add an episode that's been played to a Play list, so that's happening already - unless you're marking episodes as Favourites BEFORE you play them?
    Well, sorta. I will go back and listen to the favorites sometimes, so I may be part-way through one of my favorites. And at that point, it's not "played" yet, and it gets added to my normal list. I would like to be able to update/play my normal playlist without getting that favorite added back into it.
    -N

This has been requested a couple/few times in this thread and I'd still like to see it myself. Please add a sort option for "shortest" in SmartPlay.

I'd also like to tack on a suggestion for adding "Feed Setting" so if you are adding a single, specific feed to the SmartPlay list, a "Feed Setting" (or Feed Default, etc) would mean use whatever the default sort order is for that specific feed for its episodes in SmartPlay.