Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

BeyondPod Team

Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

We're considering adding new SmartPlay rules in a future version.

If you're not familiar with SmartPlay you can read about it here.

Suggestions?

Sort or pick by length (eg, 5 shortest episodes in <category>). Handy for those feeds which vary greatly in length. My first three or four SmartPlay categories roughly sort by length. Moving these into one big category picked this way would be useful.

Pick at random (two random episodes in <category>). Jumble things up a bit.

There have been times I've wanted more than two categories for a feed, or perhaps groups of categories, but I suspect that's a bigger deal than you're looking for.

I would love to see a random as Dennis suggested, I'd have suggested it myself if I'd been quicker.
    For me I would add a virtual feed of music and after a couple of talking pods add a random music to change things up before a couple more talking and carry on in the same vein.

I have a 10 hour working day to fill and a random <music> would be a fantastic addition to my smartplay.

Very good suggest Dennis

I had another thought about this, and that's to add a predicate regarding the number of unread (or downloaded?) episodes in the feed. That would let me hear the next episode in the feed that I'm the most behind in, whether it's the oldest (newest) or not.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Some of the ideas in the pipeline include that sort of filtering.

Julie

To be able to use more than one (Smart)list. Depending on the podcast we listen, it is necessary to manage them in a different way (for instance, there is a daily 3-hour day, which is splitted in 3 podcasts... and I always want to start from the last day I can get, so by this moment I have to manage manually)

BeyondPod Team
    That's potentially in the plan too.

In the meantime, you can set up QuickPlay shortcuts for play episodes from a particular feed or category in the order you want (I have a folder on my main home screen that includes 5 or 6 of them, for when I want something other than my normal SmartPlay list).

Julie

I'd love some way to specify an age filter so I could have all episodes of a category from this week or at most a week old and start with oldest.

BeyondPod Team
    @appel If you never want to listen to episodes older than "n" in a feed, you can use the feed's automatic cleanup rules to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    @appel If you never want to listen to episodes older than "n" in a feed, you can use the feed's automatic cleanup rules to remove them.
    I know, that's what I do now with some manual editing each time the smart playlist gets recreated.

But with such a feature I could create a smart playlist that plays recent items, say newer than one week, oldest first and when there are no more such items play older items, perhaps newest first. That'd reduce the amount of manual tweaking I frequently do now.