Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

I'd like to be able to choose a length of time for a category, instead of a fixed number of episodes. I have a category with a mixture of interesting content, but the lengths of episodes vary greatly (some less than a minute, some more than an hour). Instead of playing the oldest, say, 3 episodes, I'd like to tell it to queue episodes from that category until there are at least 10 minutes of content, regardless of the actual number of episodes.

I like this idea!

How about selectors like "at most x minutes" (don't exceed) or "at least y minutes" (can go over).
    Last edited by Dennis Rockwell; 11-14-2013 at 09:40 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    An interesting idea. I quite like it too.

So how about something like:
    Minimum of 30 minutes from Category X, sorted by date ascending
    or
    Maximum of 60 minutes from Feed Y, by duration descending

Julie

I like the idea of selecting by total time (lets me get a list that fits within my commute time). If an episode is partially played, the remaining time should count for this rule, not the total time.

Also, the ability to SmartPlay "unfinished" episodes, and the ability to play "Locked" episodes (which is how I mark those that I wanted to save for later).

The problem i see with setting a maximum time is what happens if the next single episode to play is longer than that? Seems there are three possible answers, all bad:

1. Always play at least one episode, even if it's longer than the maximum. Does what the user explicitly said not to do, but still probably the best choice.
    2. Skip the category/feed entirely. That would seem to be the naive approach, if the implementation simply adds episodes to the queue until adding the next goes over the limit.
    3. Skip the offending episode, moving forward until there's an episode that would fit.

The problem with 2 and 3 is that it would be possible for an episode to end up wedged, never playing and always sitting in the queue, with the user unaware of why it isn't playing (or, quite possibly, unaware it exists at all). So right now, I'm thinking if maximum is allowed, it should work like 1, unless someone has a good justification for one of the others, or a sufficiently clever 4. But all of this complexity is why I stepped back from asking for maximum and minimum times (which was my initial thought), and changed it to just an "at least".

Quote Originally Posted by adamlopresto View Post
    The problem i see with setting a maximum time is what happens if the next single episode to play is longer than that?
    Or, include a rule at the end of the SmartPlay rule set that's a "catch all" and will play any episode without time limits.
    Or, support more than one set of SmartPlay rules. People could use one when time limit was desirable, and one when not.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ObiQuiet View Post
    Or, support more than one set of SmartPlay rules. People could use one when time limit was desirable, and one when not.
    Multiple SmartPlay lists are certainly under consideration.

I listen to about 3 or 4 podcasts on rotation. What I'd love is a smart playlist that lets me set the podcast rotation. So say I create a playlist with Podcast A1, Podcast B1, and Podcast C1. I'd want my smart list, once I've finished playing A1, to automatically append A2 into the playlist, such that it looks like B1, C1, and A2. A2 in this case being defined as the next podcast in the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nojh View Post
    I listen to about 3 or 4 podcasts on rotation. What I'd love is a smart playlist that lets me set the podcast rotation. So say I create a playlist with Podcast A1, Podcast B1, and Podcast C1. I'd want my smart list, once I've finished playing A1, to automatically append A2 into the playlist, such that it looks like B1, C1, and A2. A2 in this case being defined as the next podcast in the feed.
    Doesn't Settings/Playlist settings/When Playlist Ends/Restart SmartPlay do this? Set up your SmartPlay with a rule for each feed (not category) set for Oldest 1 episode, and it'll restart when you get to the end. Untick Auto Rebuild SmartPlay to avoid jumbling the order upon updates. It won't add them one at a time, but the order of play will be what you want.

The category (categories?) for the feeds will need to update often enough to keep the playlist fed, but that's a separate issue.

That might work yes. I'll test it. Thank you.