Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Nojh View Post
    So say I create a playlist with Podcast A1, Podcast B1, and Podcast C1. I'd want my smart list, once I've finished playing A1, to automatically append A2 into the playlist, such that it looks like B1, C1, and A2. A2 in this case being defined as the next podcast in the feed.
    As Dennis says, you can already achieve this (albeit not "when A1 ends", but when C1 ends). Your rules should be Play 1 episode from Feed A, Play 1 episode from Feed B, Play 1 episode from Feed C, and set When playlist ends to Restart Smartplay.

Would it be possible to add an option for SmartPlay to only add the audio podcasts to the play list. For feeds that have both audio and video in the same feed. So that it doesn't play videos when you can not look at the screen, ie driving.

BeyondPod Team
    Possibly. In the meantime, if it's just the distraction that's the issue, you can choose to play audio only of video podcasts using Menu | More... | Play Videos as Audio (which will still play as video if you're ChromeCasting).

Obviously, this won't help if you want to save the videos for playing when you can actually watch them.

Julie

I used to be able to listen to only audio casts in my SmartPlay. After the most recent update to the app now it adds video to SmartPlay as well. How can I get it to go back to just audio only, saving videos to watch later when I want? No, I do not want to listen to the audio track of my videos. That's pointless, IMO.

BeyondPod Team
    The way it worked before was actually a "bug" - it was causing problems for people that wanted to use SmartPlay to manage their video episodes. In this version we slightly simplified the way SmartPlay works so that SmartPlay now works the same regardless of episode type - if the rule matches an episode it will be included (unless the episode is fully played).

If you want to exclude video episodes, you can adjust your SmartPlay rules to not exclude feeds with video episodes. For example, you can either add a separate rules for each individual (audio) feed, or alternatively create a new category called for example "Audio Feeds" and assign it as a second category for the feeds you want to be included. You can then create a single smart play rule: Play latest/oldest XX episodes in "Audio Feeds".

In the next release we are planning an enhancement to the SmrtPlay rules so you can specify more sort orders and episode types, but for now adjusting the rules is the only option.

(If you want, you can always revert to the previous release - link to it it is available at the bottom of "What Is New" Page).

Stefan

I would like the following option when setting up my smart play:
    Start with Oldest - 1 Episode - of Each - in category News.

I have so many cast with different oldest episodes. I would like to be able to play them all and not have the one oldest play 15 times in a row. It is impractical for me to set a smart play entry for each of my 30 some casts.

I pretty much do this by only downloading a single episode of each feed (see Download Options for the feed); that way I only get one episode of each at a time. I still get episodes of the same feed multiple times when I reach that category in the playlist the next time, since (as you say) the Oldest spans a broad range, and there's probably been an update.

I just had an idea for a different SmartPlay rule that might help: how about a SmartPlay rule that schedules the feeds not by oldest or newest, but in round-robin fashion; that is, it goes down the list of feeds in the category and picks the episode(s) from each feed, in turn, wrapping around when it reaches the end, and remembering where it is between building playlists. This does require more state in the category (simplest?), or perhaps in the SmartPlay rule (especially if you allow the same category to be in two SmartPlay rules like this), which AFAICT has no dynamic state now.

Building a new playlist before any episodes have been listened to should not advance the feed pointer, but that's even more trouble. Skipping feeds due to a rebuild would even out over time, so it's probably OK. That would lead to "Start SmartPlay" delivering a different set of episodes from the category each time.
    Last edited by Dennis Rockwell; 01-21-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clarification and re-thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    I pretty much do this by only downloading a single episode of each feed (see Download Options for the feed); that way I only get one episode of each at a time. I still get episodes of the same feed multiple times when I reach that category in the playlist the next time, since (as you say) the Oldest spans a broad range, and there's probably been an update.
    This doesnt work for some feeds that archive older messages. I need to hold onto 100 eps sometimes

I just had an idea for a different SmartPlay rule that might help: how about a SmartPlay rule that schedules the feeds not by oldest or newest, but in round-robin fashion; that is, it goes down the list of feeds in the category and picks the episode(s) from each feed, in turn, wrapping around when it reaches the end, and remembering where it is between building playlists. This does require more state in the category (simplest?), or perhaps in the SmartPlay rule (especially if you allow the same category to be in two SmartPlay rules like this), which AFAICT has no dynamic state now.
    You can already have the smart play auto rebuild at the end of play. A rule like I describe, to do one of each episode, with auto rebuild would accomplish what you are asking for (i think).

Quote Originally Posted by blindguy View Post
    This doesnt work for some feeds that archive older messages. I need to hold onto 100 eps sometimes
    Right; won't work for episodes that have aged off the feed.

You can already have the smart play auto rebuild at the end of play. A rule like I describe, to do one of each episode, with auto rebuild would accomplish what you are asking for (i think).
    Do you mean that the "After Playing" setting (as opposed to "end of playlist") should include "Restart SmartPlay"? The reason that I get multiples of the same feed is that those feeds are somewhat late in my SmartPlay rules, so that by the time I work through all of the stuff that I keep up with, then hit that category again, and update of that feed has most likely happened again. I already have update categories for twice/day, once/day, once/2day, and once/3day, and these feeds are all in the latter two update categories.

BeyondPod Team
    I just had an idea for a different SmartPlay rule that might help: how about a SmartPlay rule that schedules the feeds not by oldest or newest, but in round-robin fashion; that is, it goes down the list of feeds in the category and picks the episode(s) from each feed, in turn, wrapping around when it reaches the end, and remembering where it is between building playlists.
    We were talking about this possibility in our most recent meeting. The way I would see it working is that you still specify oldest/newest/whatever other sort order, but with Round Robin as an additional option.

So, play Newest 10 in Category X would play absolutely the newest 10 episodes in the category ignoring which feed each episode comes from; but Newest 10 in Category X, Round Robin would pick the absolute newest, then the next newest providing it's from a feed you haven't used yet, then the next newest from another feed, until you run out of feeds. Then go round again until you have 10 episodes.

The KISS way to deal with running out of feeds is simply to pick the newest episode you still have in the category, regardless of feed; The "user predictable" way would be to always go back to the first feed you'd originally tried, and see if there's a qualifying episode. But since the aim really seems to be to inject a little variety without having to specify every feed by name, perhaps the KISS option will be good enough, even if it means that you could end up getting two consecutive episodes from the same feed once in a while.

That scenario would (I think) only happen for feeds with irregular / sporadic release schedules, or if you mix weekly and daily feeds in the same category (but build up a backlog of daily episodes). e.g. FeedA on Monday and Thursday; FeedB on Tuesday and Wednesday, Feed C every day could result in
    Pass 1:
    Thursday's from C
    Thursday's from A
    Wednesday's from B
    Pass 2:
    Wednesday's from C
    Tuesday's from B
    Monday's from A
    Pass 3:
    Tuesday's from C
    Monday's from A
    Pass 4:
    Monday's from C
    Pass 5:
    Sunday's from C
    - the actual order will depend on the time of day that they're released. In the example above, C is in the middle of the day, with B in the evening, and A in the morning.

In practice, I suspect it would rarely arise, so the "start again from scratch" approach on the second pass will usually work just fine, meaning that you only have to "remember" the feeds used in a single pass. And if you really want predictability, then you'll need to take the time to specify the rules by feed, rather than by category - and could still get consecutive episodes from the same feed anyway, if one feed has more episodes than the others.

That's if it gets done at all, of course

Julie