Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest new rules for SmartPlay

This 'mixed up old feeds' rule is what I just registered to suggest and then I found this thread. I have a mix of current feeds and older feeds, for example feeds I've recently found and want to listen to from the start so I have loads of episodes.

I have one simple smartplay rule of 'play the oldest from the all categories' - if I could have the same thing but add 'don't play another episode from this feed until all of the other feeds with available episodes have had a go ' that would be perfect, and simple to implement and use.
    Last edited by Yoyo42; 01-25-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Words are hard

Sorting Change In Smartplay

I have a simple request for Smartplay. I would like to have the sort feature setup by using the menu option instead of the drag/drop feature that is currently in play. I find it hard to keep sorting my smartplay episodes at times and would just prefer to sort using the same format as the current sort option in other areas of the system such as sort by oldest or newest. The reason is because currently the way I have my rules setup, I update/download 3 newest episodes from each category within smartplay. When I look at my playlist, it shows the 3 newest episodes for each category, however, within those set of episodes, when I look at the dates, they are listed from newest to oldest. I want them to be listed from oldest to newest. I have attached several screenshots to show what my setup currently looks like. All I want is to reverse how they are sorted in the pictures by oldest date first. Hope this makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by woodsb123; 02-28-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: want to attach screenshots of my device

Option in Smartplay to play ou put in its list, just donwloaded podcasts.
    I configured schedule to donwload at least 5 podcasts for each feed, but when this feed is update and I have 5 files downloaded, this schedule dont donwload a new file, but SmartList put in its list this new podcast as Streaming.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You can configure whether or not to allow streaming at Menu | More... | Settings | Player Settings | Streaming Preferences. If you set it to never, Streamed episodes will never get added to your playlist. And if you set it to WiFi only, it won't play them unless you're on WiFi, even if they're in your playlist.

Feature Request - SmartPlay

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    You can configure whether or not to allow streaming at Menu | More... | Settings | Player Settings | Streaming Preferences. If you set it to never, Streamed episodes will never get added to your playlist. And if you set it to WiFi only, it won't play them unless you're on WiFi, even if they're in your playlist.
    Hi Juwlz, wondering if you can send this simple test to your developer team to implement.

I have a simple request for Smartplay. I would like to have the sort feature setup by using the menu option instead of the drag/drop feature that is currently in play. I find it hard to keep sorting my smartplay episodes at times and would just prefer to sort using the same format as the current sort option in other areas of the system such as sort by oldest or newest. The reason is because currently the way I have my rules setup, I update/download 3 newest episodes from each category within smartplay. When I look at my playlist, it shows the 3 newest episodes for each category, however, within those set of episodes, when I look at the dates, they are listed from newest to oldest. I want them to be listed from oldest to newest. I have attached several screenshots to show what my setup currently looks like. All I want is to reverse how they are sorted in the pictures by oldest date first. Hope this makes sense.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsb123 View Post
    I would like to have the sort feature setup by using the menu option instead of the drag/drop feature that is currently in play.
    The functionality you're requesting already exists. You set up rules that define exactly how you would like to sort the episodes, e.g.
    Start with Oldest
    20 episodes of
    Category News

then play Oldest
    20 episodes of
    Category Tech

etc.

You can use Category "All feeds", or use an individual feed in the rules, if you prefer.

The playslit will only pick from the episodes you have already downloaded (or marked for streaming), so if you only have the most recent 3 episodes on your device, you'll get those three, oldest first.

Julie

SmartPlay Sort Feature

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    The functionality you're requesting already exists. You set up rules that define exactly how you would like to sort the episodes, e.g.
    Start with Oldest
    20 episodes of
    Category News

then play Oldest
    20 episodes of
    Category Tech

etc.

You can use Category "All feeds", or use an individual feed in the rules, if you prefer.

The playslit will only pick from the episodes you have already downloaded (or marked for streaming), so if you only have the most recent 3 episodes on your device, you'll get those three, oldest first.

Julie
    Thanks for the response Julie. I think I understand what you have mentioned, however, maybe I didn't explain myself properly, so I'll explain with pictures.

This is currently how my smartplay rules are setup:
    Category Screenshot_2014-03-16-11-19-42.jpg

I currently have my smartplay rules setup to download the newest episodes for each category. I also have my smartplay setup to download "All Categories" on one of my other devices.

And here is how the results come up on both devices:

Results 1 Screenshot_2014-02-28-13-03-25.jpg

Results Screenshot_2014-02-28-13-01-47.jpg

What I'm trying to do is, download the newest episodes for each podcast, in each category, and then play those episodes in order by the date of the episodes, from oldest to newest or to be able to sort the smartplaylist after it's been created from the menu options, without having to drag the episodes to sort them.
    Last edited by woodsb123; 03-16-2014 at 11:44 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    That's what my example will do.

If I understand you correctly (i.e. you only ever want the 3 most recent episodes in any feed, but to listen to them in chronological order), there are two separate parts to this:

1. Only having the most recent <n> episodes on your device and ready to be played (which is controlled by the feed settings and is completely independent of your SmartPlay rules - you can limit this to the most recent <n> by using the Feed Podcast Episodes section of the feed)
    2. The order in which you play those episodes (which is controlled by your SmartPlay rules)

1. In the feed rules for each podcast, set BP to download the most recent <m> and Keep the most recent <n> (e.g. Keep no more than the most recent 3).

2014-03-17 11.02.46.jpg

2. In the SmartPlay rules, tell BP to play the Oldest 20 or 50 from each category. Since you only have the most recent 3 episodes in the feed anyway, it'll add those three to your playlist in chronological order, interleaved with any other recent episodes from other feeds in that category. If you want to separate out the episodes from each feed, select each separate feed in your SmartPlay list, rather than specifying the category that it's in.

2014-03-17 11.03.42.jpg

Note that I never have 50 unplayed episodes (or anywhere near 50) in any of those categories. The (current) implementation of SmartPlay requires a number, but in this case 50 really equates to "All". Often, there isn't even one episode in a category - especially in my Sports category, which only has a couple of feeds in it, which only get episodes around the relevant sporting event. That's fine. BeyondPod will play what it's got from each category, and then move on to the next one. So if my Sports category is empty, and my Tech 1 category often only has one episode in it, BP will play that episode, and then move on to the oldest un-played, undeleted episode from Tech 2.

If what you want to achieve is never having more than the most <n> recent episodes per category (rather than per feed), that's a different thing altogether (and unlikely to get implemented, as feeds can exist in more than one category, so the logic can never be guaranteed to work).

So in your example, if you update your feeds to only ever keep the most recent episodes (however many you want), and change your SmartPlay rules to say Oldest instead of Newest, you'll get the most recent episodes in chronological order. In fact, if you keep on top of your podcast playing, you don't even need to set a Keep value - you'll only ever have recent ones on your device anyway.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Julie

One feature that I'd like to request (I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread, so I don't know if it's already come up) is to be able to add a rule using sort by Name (0-Z). When adding a folder of archived podcasts, sorting by date doesn't work, as you can't guarantee the timestamp of the file is in the right order. You can already sort by name while playing a folder, but not when adding as a SmartPlay.

Cheers,

Neil.

Confirm smartplay before wiping out my playlist. I was trying to minimize the playlist and hit that smartplay button during a run and it wiped out my list I built for the run. Or make the smart play a separate list so I can go back to my playlist.

Thanks